14 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

I bet your dad's office was a quiet place to work ;-)

He told me that it was a good excuse to visit the market tea van - every hour, on the hour!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

Just having a bit of a rethink, should I keep the double slip at the goods yard entrance or should I stay more true to the real Richmond and replace it with two points? 
2B2F3997-36EA-464C-86B6-85CB1D7EC508.jpeg.1931d5cc8e4cd6c42d494afe188fe74a.jpeg

Double slip as is at the moment 

6F6158DB-4FAB-4387-8D31-1BA70F1998F7.jpeg.73836096c73e7cd3b67762a649fce6ba.jpeg

Two points as per the real location 

Chris 

If you had enough space to use 2 medium radius turnouts, then that would certainly be the better option.

At some locations, you might have seen either/both depending upon era.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If you had enough space to use 2 medium radius turnouts, then that would certainly be the better option.

At some locations, you might have seen either/both depending upon era.

I think I’m going to do it! Medium Radius isn’t an option I’m afraid, as I don’t have the space for them. 

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Should you be in Richmond at some point - after the current problems - visiting the Richmondshire Museum to see their model (OO) is worthwhile - I am a volunteer there and if you need further details etc. do let me know and I will see if I can help from our archive and photographic library.

IMG_7637.jpg

Edited by JimFin
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, JimFin said:

Should you be in Richmond at some point - after the current problems - visiting the Richmondshire Museum to see their model (OO) is worthwhile - I am a volunteer there and if you need further details etc. do let me know and I will see if I can help from our archive and photographic library.

IMG_7637.jpg

Hi Jim,

If I'm able to get up to Richmond I certainly will come visit! 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I live only a couple of miles from the old Richmond Station and did a fair bit of research with a view to modelling it in 0 gauge.  Turned out it was just too big to fit in but a great modelling option for smaller scales.

Luckily some of the buildings are still there and inside the station building, which is preserved extremely well and is now a cafe, art gallery and  shops, there is a marvellous photographic montage and video of how it all was in its heyday.   Great for research if you haven't already paid a visit.  

There is a good collection of photographs on the Disused Stations website.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/index.shtml

Good luck with the project.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

I live only a couple of miles from the old Richmond Station and did a fair bit of research with a view to modelling it in 0 gauge.  Turned out it was just too big to fit in but a great modelling option for smaller scales.

Luckily some of the buildings are still there and inside the station building, which is preserved extremely well and is now a cafe, art gallery and  shops, there is a marvellous photographic montage and video of how it all was in its heyday.   Great for research if you haven't already paid a visit.  

There is a good collection of photographs on the Disused Stations website.

http://disused-stations.org.uk/r/richmond/index.shtml

Good luck with the project.

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan,

I've been to Richmond a couple of times over the years, last time was about 18 months or so ago while taking my son home to Darlington, and I took a load of photographs while I was there. also had lunch in the cafe the first time I was there, it retains so many original features, and they've even reduced the height of the remaining platform inside the train shed to its as built height(which has gotten rid of the fairly steep slope that resulted from the NER and LNER extending the platform and raising the height a couple of times since opening). It's certainly a beautiful structure, and they have done a lovely job of preserving it.

The disused stations website has been invaluable in helping me, as has Ken Hoole's book on North Eastern Branch termini.

Chris

• Agree 1

A couple of distinctive trains you might wish to consider.  I found these while researching for my Croft Spa layout.

The Middleton-in-Teesdale push-pull set had a fill-in turn from Darlington to Richmond and back in the fifties, presumably to avoid it either cluttering up Bank Top Station for a few hours or putting a pair of coaches into a shed road.  This was a pair of LNER non-corridor push-pull coaches with a G5 at the Richmond end.  I have to run mine the wrong way round as it doesn't like one of the points running North with the engine at the back (and my weedy G5 won't pull the pair of coaches but is happy to push them...).

Also, Darlington depot had a pair of "mongrel" DMUs for quite some time, presumably as a result of maintenance causing a shortage.  These were half a class 101 and half a class 108.  There is a nice shot of one in one of the Marsden videos taken from the cab of a V2 going North.  These seem to have been used quite extensively on Richmond services.  Easy to achieve and gets the purists a little agitated when they see one running...

Keep up the good work

Les

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Les1952 said:

A couple of distinctive trains you might wish to consider.  I found these while researching for my Croft Spa layout.

The Middleton-in-Teesdale push-pull set had a fill-in turn from Darlington to Richmond and back in the fifties, presumably to avoid it either cluttering up Bank Top Station for a few hours or putting a pair of coaches into a shed road.  This was a pair of LNER non-corridor push-pull coaches with a G5 at the Richmond end.  I have to run mine the wrong way round as it doesn't like one of the points running North with the engine at the back (and my weedy G5 won't pull the pair of coaches but is happy to push them...).

Also, Darlington depot had a pair of "mongrel" DMUs for quite some time, presumably as a result of maintenance causing a shortage.  These were half a class 101 and half a class 108.  There is a nice shot of one in one of the Marsden videos taken from the cab of a V2 going North.  These seem to have been used quite extensively on Richmond services.  Easy to achieve and gets the purists a little agitated when they see one running...

Keep up the good work

Les

Hi Les!

Think I met you a few years ago at the Sileby show, you were exhibiting Hawthorn Dene at the time and you let me come behind the layout and see your fiddle yard and how you worked it.

I love your Croft Spa layout, and when I've had a running session on Richmond(before the house move) I always pictured my trains calling at Croft Spa on their way to Darlington!

If I can get my hands on a push/pull set, or even convert a pair of suburban coaches then I will. As for a G5, I've pre ordered the forthcoming TMC/Bachmann RTR model, but as I'm getting impatient I'm keeping an eye out for a 'cheap' kit built version that I can hardwire for DCC.

Think I'll look into a hybrid 101/108 set, don't think my Lima/Hornby 101 would look that great coupled to half a Bachmann 108 though, so it may soon be time to upgrade to the better detailed and probably much better running Bachmann 101

Chris

So last night I decided to swap out the double slip in the goods yard for a more prototypical pair of right hand points. The double slip will now move to the fiddle yard entrance to replace another one that a couple of my locos didn't like. 

E146A4A0-6AE8-441F-A20E-1D37CA5CAE64_1_105_c.jpg.9caa4d264ec2983babd15e9eb8412643.jpg

The lower board(which will be home to my controller, programming track and probably control panel) is a right mess at the moment, but will be cleared up when track laying is completed. the track does seem to flow a bit better now the slip has gone. 

10D7858C-3733-435B-8734-0F2C72D5A424_1_105_c.jpg.0825fc03c7b9620a44a9835589756124.jpg

Also took the opportunity to have a go at rearranging the proposed layout of the fiddle yard, ^ tracks at the moment but will most likely end up as 7, but I ran out of points again! I did add a 'kick back' siding that will probably run back into the scenic area but be hidden behind a hillside, And will probably be long enough to house my DMU or the branch pick up goods train. I want to get the fiddle yard laid and operational before I make a start on the goods yard, so I can at least start to run trains to test the new track. The goods yard will be on another board, which will limit how far toward the rear of the layout I can reach when it's in place, so it will be designed from the outset to be easily removable for access.

Now, to order some more points.....

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Les1952 said:

A couple of distinctive trains you might wish to consider

This is another "distinctive" train you could operate :)

IMG_3010.JPG

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A little bit more progress today, ordered some more points to try and get track down towards the goods shed and loco shed. Also made a start on building the platform extension. 

0339F4D6-0F6A-4FB3-A5DB-40CBE146A96E_1_105_c.jpg.28357ec4bdc4131d1eea6de16bd36606.jpg

I've used the Peco concrete platform sides, and painted them in grey primer then weathered them with a light blow over of matt black. Just the other side to do now. 

Chris

• Like 3

Laid some more track over the last few days, got half of the fiddle yard down and wired up

BA48C9A2-EC75-4B66-9E71-6D6DBC70C5CB.jpeg.f7002f6d44fd54069ee0640e842eb59d.jpeg
So there’s now 4 tracks laid and wired, the kick back fits my 3 car DMU comfortably. I’m also giving serious thought to adding a single track traverser to the end of the yard so I can run locos round without having to physically remove them from the layout. 

595F065C-5748-41CA-A822-F735ECF9E7B1.jpeg.39aff6fc9003a6165c80fefb82f1975f.jpeg

I thought I’d also do a bit of ‘testing’, so here is my L1 67755 waiting to leave for Darlington. The 6 coach train of articulated twins fits nicely in the platform with room to spare, and there’s also plenty of room in the run round loop. 
92955CC5-46E2-4FDE-AFEC-35AFD435559B.jpeg.7d63c7c69015d50a17523091cdf64476.jpeg

Here we have ex works K1 62015 departing platform 2 on a relief troop special for Edinburgh, coaches will be attached to a northbound train at Darlington, and 62015 will make the first leg of its return to March shed in the morning(or whenever I get around to getting her renumbered!). 

Chris

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

adding a single track traverser to the end of the yard so I can run locos round without having to physically remove them from the layout.

It’s still removing from the layout, but not handling: have you considered a Peco locolift?

Paul.

Not the best photo I know, but this kind of shows where the points in the goods yard will be located. 

0DA0C569-C411-4813-9F81-CCB197F2137C.jpeg.51a15ee93e65e2de2c76786a7907b58b.jpeg

Top point leads to the turntable, middle point to the loco shed(and coal drops if I can fit them in), and bottom point to the goods yard sidings, which included another set of coal drops

Chris

• Like 3

Looks like I’ll have to use some modellers licence here, was hoping there was an overbridge near the station so I could use it to hide the scenic break, but I’m going to have to use one anyway or hide it with trees or something. There was a steep cutting on the south side of the line where the road to Catterick turns away from the formation, which I could use to hide the scenic break. I also wanted to include a representation of Easby Abbey, but it was on the other side of the River Swale and a bit far from the railway. I can however include the ruins of St Martins Priory as it was almost next to the boundary fence. 
9E237C1A-60AB-453A-86C2-C6C93380C99E.jpeg.20faba7a39967c59f4d03740f8603edf.jpeg

• Like 1

So I was thinking about the scenic break, how does this look for placement of the break?

2AD17B58-0DC2-4FFF-B2B9-F7960DBE0FF0_1_105_c.jpg.723cd7d96b40900e43b5ca1deddc9fac.jpg

I did consider moving it a but more to the left, to give me a bit more scenic area, and hiding the DMU siding under a hillside. I would have loved to have a representation of the Easby Abbey ruins in the corner closest to the camera, but it was a fair bit further down the line and on the opposite side of the River Swale. I could use a bit of modeller's licence and include it to add a bit of interest in this area, but would it be too much?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2020 at 17:46, JimFin said:

IMG_7637.jpg

Jim, 

Any idea what the large building was behind the station? I've ringed it in this photo

778145291_Screenshot2020-05-31at20_13.50copy.jpg.bc893fdcdd1763020d546834568784da.jpg

There isn't space on the layout to include in, but I wouldn't mind adding a representation of it on the back scene or in low relief. 

Chris

• Like 2