11 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

Bottom of page 129

Looking at the photo I think the coal drops pictured are the ones to the rear of the loco shed, and the photo is looking at the goods shed across the goods yard at the other coal drops that appear to have been removed at some point. You can see the remains of the piers that have been concreted at an angle, and the cattle dock track behind them.

Still, I think that it's a fair assessment that we can assume the coal drops pictured are the same as the other set that were removed. I haven't gone true to prototype in having the rails resting on the top of the piers, instead I've had to leave one sleeper in place on each pier to keep the track in gauge, and by the time I'm finished you won't be to tell anyway(I hope!)

• RMweb Premium
On 09/06/2020 at 19:34, Wingman Mothergoose said:

When the lockdown business is over and public transport gets back to normal I will take advantage of my railway travel passes and get up to Darlington and see about getting a bus over to Richmond so I can spend a few hours exploring and taking photos

When things are normal buses leave for Richmond every 20 mins during the day and hourly in the evenings, from a (rather miserable) bus stop immediately outside the Victoria Road entrance to Bank Top.  They will drop you at Richmond station about 30 mins later.  Sadly - or rather, excellently - the bus service to Richmond from Darlington town centre and Bank Top is far, far better than the train service ever was.

Edited by RichardT
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, RichardT said:

When things are normal buses leave for Richmond every 20 mins during the day and hourly in the evenings, from a (rather miserable) bus stop immediately outside the Victoria Road entrance to Bank Top.  They will drop you at Richmond station about 30 mins later.  Sadly - or rather, excellently - the bus service to Richmond from Darlington town centre and Bank Top is far, far better than the train service ever was.

Thats great Richard thank you! Will look into doing that then, as it will save me a bit of diesel, and I can have a beer or two in the process too!

• 2 weeks later...

Wingman, thanks for the idea of the book North Eastern Branchline Termini. I purchased a copy and it took about 2 weeks to make it out to Australia. I received it yesterday and I am very happy with the information in it. Yet to read much yet but the plans are so useful. My day job is managing the construction of apartment blocks so just having these great plans makes me very happy! I wish I could find a heap of these style of plans as these take all the guess work out of the typical NER buildings I have been looking for. 

Thanks again for the info, though you probably never knew!

On 11/06/2020 at 16:44, Alan Kettlewell said:

I'll be happy to pick you up from Darlington and take you back later if you like, save you messing around with buses.  I have an interest in Richmond Station's history and live nearby.  Just let me know.

Cheers ... Alan

Hi Alan, I may well take you up on that offer! We will probably end up bumping into some more fellow modellers there, I have a few of my comrades in the LNER Modellers Facebook group that live in the area who wouldn't mind exploring the station and immediate area too!

Chris

• Agree 1

On 23/06/2020 at 11:56, DougN said:

Wingman, thanks for the idea of the book North Eastern Branchline Termini. I purchased a copy and it took about 2 weeks to make it out to Australia. I received it yesterday and I am very happy with the information in it. Yet to read much yet but the plans are so useful. My day job is managing the construction of apartment blocks so just having these great plans makes me very happy! I wish I could find a heap of these style of plans as these take all the guess work out of the typical NER buildings I have been looking for. 

Thanks again for the info, though you probably never knew!

Hi Doug,

You're very welcome! That book is a great resource for those of us modelling a branch line in the north east of England. Some great photos and as I've only just noticed, the last few pages have track plans on, which is a great help to me, even though it incorrectly shows the Richmond branch as single track! 

NER buildings isn't something I can help you with I'm afraid. I bought the station off a fellow modeller who built it 45 years ago(yes really!), and I have a very talented scratch builder who has made me the signal box, gas works and loco shed, and is currently working on the goods shed for me. I'm told that the loc sheds were all broadly similar, although the buildings at Richmond weren't built by the NER, but by a smaller company the ended up being swallowed up by the NER not long after the line opened. 

Chris

• Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 16:31, RichardT said:

There always was a fairly direct bus to Richmond every thirty minutes, and a couple of indirect ones that ran about every hour.  The only real difference is that instead of a Bristol LS5G or MW5G that set your teeth on edge if the driver forgot it had more than three gears you now have a Polish-built Scania with reasonable seats but suspension that magnifies every slight bump in the road, and does it quite loudly....

Les

Wingman, the combination of the plans and photos results in, well for me, a nice plan to achieve a layout that certainly feels and looks NER in origin. I say this as I have the NER records which are great, along with the NER architecture 3 volumns, however the termini book is the only one that has photos and plan. Most people tend not to appreciate that the buildings life spans are in excess of 75 years generally even with a few modifications. The trains, liveries, paint colours changed more regularly but the fabric of the buildings survived a lot longer! 

Any how thanks again. 

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Wingman Mothergoose said:

I'm told that the loc sheds were all broadly similar, although the buildings at Richmond weren't built by the NER, but by a smaller company the ended up being swallowed up by the NER not long after the line opened. 

Sort of...  As you’ll see from Ken Hoole’s excellent termini book (pity there was never a volume two!) the branch was authorised by the Great North of England Railway Act 1845, but actually opened by the York & Newcastle Railway in 1846. The Y&NR was the name adopted after the merger by lease of the GNER and the Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway.  The Y&NR was one of the three separate companies which merged in 1854 to form the NER.

The NER did later have a policy of enabling the construction of branches under the guise of a nominally independent local company which was “swallowed” by the NER soon after opening, but those takeovers were more apparent than real.

The multiplicity of companies & mergers in the 19thC causes one of my major gripes with the “era” system inflicted on us by some model firms:  all this complexity and massive change is packaged by them into one “era”, whereas minor policy decisions by BR on what colour to paint some locos get an “era” all of their own!

The Y&NR takeover brought the Richmond branch under the control of George Hudson, who appointed his favourite architect, G T Andrews of York, to design the station.  (Andrews had been responsible for the huge arch in York’s city walls - now opposite the current York station to allow Hudson’s tracks to terminate inside the city.) Hence the use of Andrews standard designs for all the buildings except the station itself, which is a splendid one-off.

Sorry, that turned out to be a longer post than I planned...

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Brackets
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Meant to say when remarking on the absence of a volume 2 Hoole termini book: he did produce a photo album for OPC called “North-Eastern Branch Lines Past & Present” (Oxford Publishing Company 1984; ISBN 0-86093-189-7).  Worth getting as a companion to the termini volume.

Richard

Not really a surprise Richard... some of the guys at my work are looking forward to a lockdown that has not occurred!  I was as well but now, in 2 months or so, should have a project just about finished so I'll hold out til then to take a break from work! Which I will spend a lot of time doing modelling! I have the second book as well. So I think I am well placed to build a Building or 3

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris or other members

At the moment I'm building the railway bridge near Easby Abbey and the Love Lane.

A few years ago I took some pictures and roughly measured several sizes of the pillars.

I also have photos of the model from the museum.

Question: do you or someone else have a drawing with the exact sizes of that bridge or do jou know were I can find them because in this times it is not possible for me to go to England.

Henk

P1050459.JPG

• Like 2

My mate is a local architect and has the official drawings of this bridge (known as bridge 7) over the Swale, also he has drawings for the other smaller bridge (bridge 6) which is over Sand Beck nearer to Richmond station.  I can put him in touch with you if you wish.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

Hello Alan

I thought I had responded to your message but I did something wrong so try again

If you want to make the effort to contact your friend for a print of the bridge 7 drawing, I am recommended for a copy.

May of course also be a photo of the drawing which I can print here.

Thank you in advance for the effort you put in.

I am already building and will post pictures on the forum soon, but with the correct drawings I will make the bridge again, it won't take that long

p.s drawing of bridge 6 is welcome as well but less important to me.

Greetz Henk

7 minutes ago, henkholland said:

Hello Alan

I thought I had responded to your message but I did something wrong so try again

If you want to make the effort to contact your friend for a print of the bridge 7 drawing, I am recommended for a copy.

May of course also be a photo of the drawing which I can print here.

Thank you in advance for the effort you put in.

I am already building and will post pictures on the forum soon, but with the correct drawings I will make the bridge again, it won't take that long

p.s drawing of bridge 6 is welcome as well but less important to me.

Greetz Henk

Ok, will do.  I'll be meeting up with him on Tuesday evening so I'll ask him how he wants to arrange to get you the drawings.  Will get back to you.

Cheers ... Alan

• Like 1

Hi Chris and Alan

It's been a while since I shared something on this website with you.
My newly built attributes are a water column like this on Richmond was not quite complete yet, but at the beginning there is an attempt to build a signal bracket working and with light. the last light did not work but I have become wiser how to construct it so that later when I order the MSE or wizard signal etching I have a good idea how to make it.
Finally I built bridge nr 7 here also money that it is not sure that it will stay in my job because I have worked from a few photos and some sizes that I noted several years ago using estimates,

Maybe I will have the opportunity to get real drawings of the bridge then I will rebuild it with brass profiles this is made of cardboard and some wood

Henk

20200729_175408.jpg

20200729_175413.jpg

20200729_175446.jpg