The trams that time forgot

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, The Cable Guy said:

Have a good day out and don't spend too much! 

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the steam tram in Hull 

I didn't snap the loco in full, there is photo off the net up at the start of the thread so I concentrated on detail and learnt a number of things.

793553579_kitsonbracketandchimneyend.jpg.9876b6cad48be6bf63a130163826ba12.jpg

Most pictures of steam trams are taken from the firebox end, that is the main direction of travel, even to the point where they would build triangles rather than run around loops at the terminus.   This is the chimney end and shows the central window in two parts, the firebox end has just the one. 

This brand new 4 window Kitson, built for the Birmingham and Aston in 1885 appears to have just the one central window that mimic the firebox end,  I did think that maybe the door was open and that's why it looks like one but you will see its not a door, a surprise to me. 

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page4/styled-44/page473.html

The Birmingham and Midland photographs I have don't show that end of the locomotive and the two drawings I have of a Central Birmingham Tramways four window Kitson also omit that bit of data.    Need to make a decision...

Not also the roof bracket is more ornate on the Aston tram, maybe the ones in hull are replacements?

Not a door ?

138816113_kitsonsmokebox.jpg.ffebc07e04eacfbd5702461fa24a0c40.jpg

I had always assumed there was a door at both ends, you can see that there is no gaps to suggest the panel opens except the bottom half is hinged so it can lift upwards.  This is to clean / empty the smoke box which is immediately behind it.   Also no door handle!

Base of chimney self explanatory, supporting strap to body..

598067073_kitsonbaseofchimney.jpg.ad9085e0b50cf80094235f09b0bbd4b9.jpg

Sorry its on its side.  This is also the unphotographed  / chimney end, I hadn't realise that the end of the cyliders are slightly exposed, 

1411262498_kitsonchimneyendcylinders.jpg.c84fa8219034b4d4fa7c83266c09777e.jpg

The dome..  not as per my plan.  The plan is more elegant, more Victorian without all of the what I call 'gubins' on show

I will drop a note to my friend Nigel, he gets this stuff.

1061451273_kitsondome.jpg.ee191b4435b72354b280c76402b693db.jpg

Back head and controls, the small rectangular tank sitting on top of the boiler / firebox is on my plan.

1084915980_kitsonbackheadandcontrol.jpg.db0ead40b9ab1db661054db72e3b3d24.jpg

Coke bunker, another tank..  I had thought I had read that the water tank was between the frames?  There don't appear to be any sand pipes on the plans ??

1387964273_kitsonbunker.jpg.a7527e9fe93fb437e84d4b8a009f2760.jpg

Strengthening bar from one end of the body to the other,  not apparent on the Aston tram on the link..

158100634_kitsonstrengtheningbar.jpg.01f4c0b5c508d8ec9de27f09184dfab4.jpg

Condenser, certainly no roof above the pipes as my plan had suggested.

601960504_kitsoncondenser.jpg.908c930969b3604df6165e65d5f34295.jpg

The museum was quite and so was Hull at the museum quarter end...  Other than a continuous conveyor belt of weddings at the registry office..

Andy

kitson draw bar coupling.jpg

kitson chimney end.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:52, wagonbasher said:

I didn't snap the loco in full, there is photo off the net up at the start of the thread so I concentrated on detail and learnt a number of things.

793553579_kitsonbracketandchimneyend.jpg.9876b6cad48be6bf63a130163826ba12.jpg

Most pictures of steam trams are taken from the firebox end, that is the main direction of travel, even to the point where they would build triangles rather than run around loops at the terminus.   This is the chimney end and shows the central window in two parts, the firebox end has just the one. 

This brand new 4 window Kitson, built for the Birmingham and Aston in 1885 appears to have just the one central window that mimic the firebox end,  I did think that maybe the door was open and that's why it looks like one but you will see its not a door, a surprise to me. 

http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page4/styled-44/page473.html

I realised today that the link I included above has a series of Birmingham and Aston Kitson tram locomotives.  Tram locomotive Number 27 of 1886 does show that the chimney with just the one window in the central panel.     The tram in Hull is Northern Ireland's Portstewart Tramway No' 1 of 1882.

Andy

Maybe an interesting talk next week?

The next public meeting of Lichfield Waterworks Trust will take place on:  Monday 10th June 2019 @7.30pm, in the rear meeting room of the

The Bowling Green
Friary Road
Lichfield
Staffordshire
WS13 6QJ

Tel: 01543 257344

Tonight's Talk

Richard Green our electrical engineer will be talking about the Tram systems of Staffordshire and the Black Country. 

The talk will explore the various Tram operators that have worked the streets of Staffordshire and the Black Country. From the northern tip of the county Stoke on Trent to the furthest corner, Kinver and as far as Burton on Trent. The different operators involved and their success or failure in providing a transport system across Staffordshire and the Black Country

Richard's talks are always interesting and innovating, this is certainly another one not to miss.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The Cable Guy said:

Maybe an interesting talk next week?

The next public meeting of Lichfield Waterworks Trust will take place on:  Monday 10th June 2019 @7.30pm, in the rear meeting room of the

The Bowling Green
Friary Road
Lichfield
Staffordshire
WS13 6QJ

Tel: 01543 257344

Tonight's Talk

Richard Green our electrical engineer will be talking about the Tram systems of Staffordshire and the Black Country. 

The talk will explore the various Tram operators that have worked the streets of Staffordshire and the Black Country. From the northern tip of the county Stoke on Trent to the furthest corner, Kinver and as far as Burton on Trent. The different operators involved and their success or failure in providing a transport system across Staffordshire and the Black Country

Richard's talks are always interesting and innovating, this is certainly another one not to miss.

thank you, that is is excellent

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Building development

Last week at Doncaster I bought some laser cut windows from Lcut Creative.  You will see below that I have two style's of sash window.  Just blue tacked in place.

Marking up the next three houses for cutting out the windows doors and two entires running front to back into the yard.306130458_backtobacksplanning.jpg.3036768a41c95a8d2c37e0dfbe593026.jpg

The fisrt of the upstairs shop windows

276211161_shopwindows.jpg.d0846bc2856f8fcbf391a204407e58e7.jpg

The overall plan.  Each scene will be on its own removable board, to the left I am planning a property with stabling and a 'nail shop'.

700968886_backtobackplan.jpg.d58869cc6f42667be910f8675d6bb030.jpg

Andy

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh...   I thought I had replied to that question, here goes again.

the laser cut windows are very accurate, in 7mm I think the depth of the frames is good. Probably a bit heavy in 4mm.  

Thet are cut from wood so I reserve absolute approval until I paint some but at £0.49 a window I think that's pretty good.

limited range, a bit more industrial, I guess the range matches the building kits.

andy

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

I found the burnt edges harder to cover in paint, needing more coats.

Ok,  thank you, I might get the chance later today.

Now that BCb has moved out I am trying to finish my garage extension.  I was part though plaster boarding etc all those years ago when BCB came along.  my new trams need a home.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

A few from a little outing today for you Mr B...

IMAG8054.jpg.d0a6d75c71e6e9fe01e7d68a3644e831.jpg

IMAG8092.jpg.be3478c248a0ec7341e8b864258962ac.jpg

IMAG8093.jpg.22c3ee9d3343a37b9402100f8502551d.jpg

IMAG8094.jpg.717ede0f2ddc32cc17a7b6c4708f7c76.jpg

IMAG8095.jpg.dd86fc384d4b54f0b1dcdf272d6a95c0.jpg

IMAG8096.jpg.307aa92d4cac6a706f8947853fa6d19f.jpg

A nice day out at the 'barn'.   Look, as if by magic without the use of hands or a trolley pole it moves.

I presume it runs off batteries?

Did you spot the Midland Railway crest on the side?

As for the other photographs they are clearly taken by you in your local area with some kind of sepia filter or app.

Looks nice, did the weather hold.

I am going to the talk tonight that Richard posted on this thread a few days ago.  It is on Staffordshire trams, the B&A should just qualify.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

A few from a little outing today for you Mr B...

IMAG8054.jpg.d0a6d75c71e6e9fe01e7d68a3644e831.jpg

IMAG8092.jpg.be3478c248a0ec7341e8b864258962ac.jpg

IMAG8093.jpg.22c3ee9d3343a37b9402100f8502551d.jpg

IMAG8094.jpg.717ede0f2ddc32cc17a7b6c4708f7c76.jpg

IMAG8095.jpg.dd86fc384d4b54f0b1dcdf272d6a95c0.jpg

IMAG8096.jpg.307aa92d4cac6a706f8947853fa6d19f.jpg

I see the building in the last photo is still there today.  It looks like a pub maybe a sign behind the gas lamp.  Odd that the Sun shades / canopies are completely coving the window.   The building is now the offices of a social care company.  It is on the junction of church street and high street.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

More likely a shop than a pub - the windows are much larger than their neighbour's. The blinds would be down to protect the goods in the window - looks like direct sunlight from the shadows.

With the two ladies in finery outside I'd suggest a dress shop.

• Agree 1

Lovely view of B&ALR 14 in Detroit and the UK views.   I looked out my late dear friend Bob Parr's 1970 book entitled "An English Country Tramway" about one of the few truly rural electric 'interurbans' we had in Britain.   Street track in built up areas and open track between with colour light signalling.   From Midland Railway livery to that of the LMSR plus interworking in Burton with that Corporation's cars.     I used to travel on lines like this in 1958-9 on the continent.   Steam certainly would not be out of place if such a setting was modelled. 

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

A nice day out at the 'barn'.   Look, as if by magic without the use of hands or a trolley pole it moves.

I presume it runs off batteries?

Did you spot the Midland Railway crest on the side?

As for the other photographs they are clearly taken by you in your local area with some kind of sepia filter or app.

Looks nice, did the weather hold.

I am going to the talk tonight that Richard posted on this thread a few days ago.  It is on Staffordshire trams, the B&A should just qualify.

Andy

An an interesting talk tonight.  

I hadnt realised that that the group..  The group restoring the sandfield pumping station in Lichfield were just having a monthly meeting with a 1 hour talk at the end.

i sat very politely and quietly as they went through their projects health and safety and the new rewiring.

very interesting and when I looked it up at home, what an amazing building.  I will take a chance to see the building as the project develops.

Staffordshire and the Black Country trams are a big topic for an hour and it was a romp  around staffordshires tram systems with crowd pleasing  anecdotes thrown in.

a good night.

andy

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

One of the Burton & Ashby car in service........in Detroit, Michigan, back in 2001 !

Same car as the other picture. Which was found chassisless in a garden in Gresley in the 70s and ended up fitted with a Lisbon 900mm underframe for use in Detroit.

Returned to Statfold Barn where a Clayton battery package was fitted.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

YouTube link to a video I took on Sunday of the Burton and Ashby tram.

When is Statfold Barn open?

Looking at the website there doesn't seem to be a calender of opening times, just special events.(most of which seem booked up)

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

When is Statfold Barn open?

Looking at the website there doesn't seem to be a calender of opening times, just special events.(most of which seem booked up)

Last weekend was my first visit. It's not generally open to the public, but the events like last Sunday are now just turn up and pay on the day. There are also some "enthusiast special" days like last Saturday which you have to pre-book.

The forthcoming events are here: https://statfoldbarnrailway.co.uk/events/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, wagonbasher said:

It does look strange without a trolley pole.......

Andy

Watching it move, it took me a few moments to work out what wasn't right. No overhead wires. There is a third rail but concluded that was for a different gauge rather than power as folk were standing on it! I was torn between batteries and magic but in the end settled on batteries as the power source.