Triang L1 mods.

Well Graham,  I just went right through all my info on Li's  including a scale drawing , but could find nothing to tell me which side the brake column was fitted.

The drawing shows a side view of the tender, and shows the brake column, but obviously does not give an indication of which side it's on.

I have Locomotives Illustrated no 23 on Wainright 4-4-0s but not one photo showing it.

I did start modifying a Triang LI back in the 80's but it was brought to a halt when some git pinched my wife off me , and model railwaying for me stopped.

I didn't do any more until a couple of years back when I started again.

It's not all bad though, in my search for L1 info , I came across some useful stuff.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question though..

Rob

Yes but I have found a picture of an E class loco number275 which shows the brake column on the left.  this surely must have applied to the other Wainwright 4-4-0s ...

Sorry about the font, this damn laptop has a mind of it's own, and I am sick of altering it. :blink:

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

On the left side as facing forward? That's clearly visible in the beautiful picture of Mr Wainwright's D in 'The Big Four in Colour'.

And I know that we must never trust Mr Roche, but in his tender drawing for the L1 and other Maunsellania that is how the brake column is positioned, with a note that it moves to the right for some of King Arthurs; likewise on the left

in the Roche drawing of the Wainwright tender for his D and onward 4-4-0s, agreeing with the photo.

And irresistible to add, how such a gorgeous specimen as the Wainwright D has yet to receive a RTR model is incomprehensible...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

On the left side as facing forward? That's clearly visible in the beautiful picture of Mr Wainwright's D in 'The Big Four in Colour'.

And I know that we must never trust Mr Roche, but in his tender drawing for the L1 and other Maunsellania that is how the brake column is positioned, with a note that it moves to the right for some of King Arthurs; likewise on the left

in the Roche drawing of the Wainwright tender for his D and onward 4-4-0s, agreeing with the photo.

And irresistible to add, how such a gorgeous specimen as the Wainwright D has yet to receive a RTR model is incomprehensible...

Yes it is difficult to understand why the Wainwright D has not yet been produced as a RTR model, but if and when it is made , it will be expensive.

I can only remember them in their dirty smoky gungy grey over lined black livery, but I loved them anyway.  I can remember being on a train to Reading behind one and leaning out of the coach window getting smuts in my eyes...:wacko:

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I have treated myself to a copy of “Southern Maunsell 4-4-0 Classes by David Maidment. There are loads of really good photos in this book and a couple show what definitely looks like the brake handle on the left hand side of the tender.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2019 at 13:15, RobMG said:

Well Graham,  I just went right through all my info on Li's  including a scale drawing , but could find nothing to tell me which side the brake column was fitted.

The drawing shows a side view of the tender, and shows the brake column, but obviously does not give an indication of which side it's on.

I have Locomotives Illustrated no 23 on Wainright 4-4-0s but not one photo showing it.

I did start modifying a Triang LI back in the 80's but it was brought to a halt when some git pinched my wife off me , and model railwaying for me stopped.

I didn't do any more until a couple of years back when I started again.

It's not all bad though, in my search for L1 info , I came across some useful stuff.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question though..

Rob

My wife ran off with my best mate at around the same time; I still miss him...

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• 7 months later...

Work in progress!!!

It is beginning to take shape now, I am really pleased with it so far.

Body and tender need a quick coat of primer and then top coat.

The chassis then needs a bit of work.

The front bogie is from a late Hornby M7 and has extra pick-ups so hopefully will perform a bit better.

I have also fitted a sintered neo magnet to the old motor so I now need to practice my soldering skills and get it all wired up and tested!!!!!

Graham

IMG_0937_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4190_edited-1.jpg

IMG_5739_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9476.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Funny this thread should pop up, I've just restarted a similar upgrade on a project that stalled about a year ago.. Encouraging to see what can be done with the old L1. I've always been a little surprised that Hornby have never taken the opportunity to do a 'China' job on it...

33 minutes ago, cabbie37 said:

Funny this thread should pop up, I've just restarted a similar upgrade on a project that stalled about a year ago.. Encouraging to see what can be done with the old L1. I've always been a little surprised that Hornby have never taken the opportunity to do a 'China' job on it...

Am I right in thinking they modified the mould to produce a 2P?

Graham, that is looking great, and it's quite a coincidence. The first thing I looked at was your post. It was way back last year when I looked for info for you.  Well I am pleased to see how you have progressed, and will now look forward to finished pictures.

I am working on a Southern region loco, but much later than yours,  a Class 33 Crompton in early 60s livery. 

I haven't forsaken steam, but have always liked the Cromptons, especially as I had a really good

cab ride in one years ago when I worked for BR.

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks, I hope to start painting later this week. I have found some gloss black acrylic spray cans from an old car 

I used to have so I might try those. Strangely my next loco project is a green Lima 33 I have had for about 30 years!!! I am just going to renumber it an add a few details so it doesn’t look out of place against my Heljan ones.

Graham

• Like 1

That really starting to look really great. The L1 the 3F (tender version) and (ok I know it's a little out) the 2P all respond well to a little bit of fettling and extra detail.

There's so many box openers who will turn round and say why bother?

Because it's fun and you get the satisfaction of running something that you've worked on and restored.

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming were all really enjoying them

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Hull MRS have an L1 on our new SR layout Ladycross.  Most of the work on it was done by Richard bird .  I painted and weathered it.  It looks like the brake is on the left.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of Richard Bird (formerly I believe of Norwich MRS) please let us know as we've lost touch and we miss both him and his modelling ability.

L1 June 2015 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi all,

Just out of a sense of fun here is an L1 that I modified 40+ years ago. I still have it and it still runs a treat. It was one of the first engine I ever modified and as  14 year old I was really scared I would really make a mess of it. I think it turned out well.

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

• Like 3

It was many years ago when I started, but did not finish modifying a Triang L1. I didn't finish it because of turmoil in my life at the time.

I passed the project on to my great friend Martin Brent who finished it. I don't have any photos, and sadly Martin died nearly 20 years ago of leukemia.  I miss him to this day..

I think I might have a drawing somewhere, but not sure. If I can find it I will let you know..

I am sorry not to have been more help.

Rob

Will do, I will look right now. It seems to be a sad fact that 40 years ago when I was attempting the project it was much easier to find info. I could go to my local model railway shop (Eames in Reading ) and order a Skinley drawing of almost any loco I wanted to model.  Now both the Model Shop and John Skinley have gone, it is next to impossible !  

It's no problem to have a look now.

Rob