Need help with SR Coaches

Seanem44

Hi all.  I am trying to make some 2-3 coach long Southern Railway trains using RTR stock that is already out, but not having much luck figuring out which coaches I would (or should) need.  Era 3, 30s and 40s.  Any assistance would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Hornby (Dapol for N) Maunsell sets can work in threes and also in OO is the ex LSWR non corridor coaches from Hornby.

But as John R says, depends where you want to model as the SR was three distinct areas with their own flavour.

Forties bring Bulleid coaches - long (Bachmann - N or OO), short (Hornby)

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Gold

Which section of the SR are you thinking of? If Eastern Section, then the Bachmann birdcage stock would be good, though I am not an expert on their exact travels. Western section, you could use the Hornby ex-LSW rebuilds, and even Maunsell sets. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, JohnR said:

Which section of the SR are you thinking of? If Eastern Section, then the Bachmann birdcage stock would be good, though I am not an expert on their exact travels. Western section, you could use the Hornby ex-LSW rebuilds, and even Maunsell sets. 

More to the West.

Hornby seems to have made ex LSW compartment coaches...  3rd class, etc.  I imagine these might be a fit.