New Beginnings in 0 Gauge - Hornby Tinplate!

A lovely range of Hornby tinplate buildings, trains and accessories in this video. Watching a few of these YouTube videos, while I draw up my own versions! :rolleyes:

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have four tiny folk, painted up and pretending to be ‘Dinky Toys Figures’! The simplified goods shed paper textures have been created in Adobe Illustrator - very loosely based on the Highland Railway Goods Shed at Brora. The height of the cake box restricted the height of the shed, so the roof is shallower. I am pretending Hornby brought out a ‘Highland’ range in their tinplate model buildings. The coal staithe paper kit is also finished, but still to be printed out. That just leaves the loading bay and walled embankment to be drawn up.  All of the card structures will be given a coat of gloss varnish to emulate ‘tin plate’.

EA457A49-9183-4173-8A8C-FBBB61A10598.jpeg.ab1da76115929e425e5a17dc9138ee34.jpeg

75366883-83EE-4DCD-B011-0DF94ED69BE0.jpeg.a2d0772446b3bc8aaad62bbde8e75035.jpeg

CF01434C-1F59-4F37-B423-3B2EBA3E02D6.jpeg.2847d6a0dc88ead91d221f1428a74fba.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 3

Hoping to finish everything tonight. The coal staithe is printed on paper and modelled from one sheet. I have tried to imagine the structures being modelled from tinplate. My paper kits have been sealed with acrylic varnish spray, then coated with yacht varnish for a high gloss finish. A wagon load insert with coal effect was made the same way. I have settled on a Highland location for this model. This time it is Invershin, so the 2D printed backdrop, which I created in ‘Illustrator’, is of Carbisdale Castle. The last stationmaster at Invershin had a side business as coal merchant, and always kept an open wagon in one of the sidings for his own use.

The retaining wall at the back of the model is a dry stone dyke, which is modelled in card with a paper texture created in ‘Photoshop’.

2609D3B0-C1CB-4588-AE2B-77E9D3A78D61.jpeg.1d2301e5a241ba76bdb69ae35ee377f6.jpeg

6F8C8086-3173-4AE2-8DB8-0874AF0C6E9D.jpeg.c3995819ce1029f601cbd0f70c11b1d4.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

This gets more interesting as it goes along! The coal is exceptionally effective.

Ive never got into software graphic tools, for fear that they would become huge time-thiefs, so I'd be interested to understand how long the "on screen" part of this is taking.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

This gets more interesting as it goes along! The coal is exceptionally effective.

Ive never got into software graphic tools, for fear that they would become huge time-thiefs, so I'd be interested to understand how long the "on screen" part of this is taking.

Hi Nearholmer - I have picked up some basic skills over the years, from when Adobe software first became available for the early small-screened Apple Macintosh!

The digital illustration side of things is quite time consuming, but probably no more intensive than time spent on many aspects of railway modelling. For the dry stone wall, I used a suitable photograph as a template, scaled to size, then produced the artwork in layers. I am fortunate that my daughter has created some suitable texture brushes, which I used for shading the individual stones. The wall took me about six hours. 

In ‘Illustrator’, the goods shed with its odd angles took a bit longer, and I chose to add interior sheets as well. The backscene took me about eight hours, with the most fiddly bit being the castle, simplifying the shapes without losing the character of the building. I’d quite like to experiment a bit more, using real examples of buildings and structures for reference. 

Marlyn

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well I’ve actually made it! Finished the model and emailed to Phil!

The final coat of yacht varnish on the buildings brought its own challenges. The first attempt at varnishing  the loading bank was a bit blotchy, so I reprinted the artwork. I decided to dunk the figures in varnish as, well, to make them look like Dinky Toys figures.   Gaugemaster grass mat provided the surface for the small embankment at the back and the gravel mat for the yard baseboard.

I started making a cover for the cake box - like the old Hornby Trainset boxes, but ran out of time. I am tweaking an old Hornby illustration - changing the older boy into a girl - flying the flag for female modellers!

26A00332-6B60-469C-B317-EAD2A51E2C11.jpeg.b7bc56e652c183e15c9d50ad5847b7ed.jpeg

0DC822F0-EA1B-46DE-9B63-87663EDE0289.jpeg.b6e6ea7708ed7cca25b2c9d8e9fb8fe8.jpeg

2634DAC1-09C0-46B4-9103-ADCA3FBFC6B4.jpeg.59496bbbf416e7099b0a87d516a5bcce.jpeg

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 hours ago, Bill_J said:

Love this cakebox diorama. What a perfect indulgence in nostalgia.

Regards

Thanks, Bill! These little projects give us the opportunity to experiment in scales, topics, eras, which we may, or may not,  consider for a larger working layout. :) Looking forward to seeing your model for the ‘Holiday’ challenge.

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Very well done,  great idea that makes me want to find a key and a clockwork loco and wind it up, (just like being 5 again!)

Thanks ‘railroad bill’ - it really was fun to work on this - brought back memories!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...