Looking for a couple of books about Dalkeith, and East Lothian

ejstubbs

There's a couple of books about railways in the local area that I've been told about, but which turn out to be not at all easy to track down.  I don't have a lot of detail for either one (exact title, author etc).  Basically, I'm hoping that some reading this might recognise a book that they own from my woolly descriptions below, and can give me the chapter and verse I need to do some proper searching.  The books in question are:

• A book specifically about railways in and around Dalkeith.  It's not any of the Oakwood or Middleton press ones which include railways in the area - I've already got those.  I'm told it's available from "the museum" in Dalkeith, but even that seems to be a tricky thing to track down!

• One about lost/disused/vanished railways in East Lothian.  I think this was self-published sometime back in the 50s, 60s or 70s.  I'm certain that I found a listing for it somewhere online, back when it was first recommended to me, but blowed if I can find it now, or even remember the exact title or the author's name.  Bit of long shot this one, I know!

Any pointers or suggestions that could help with my search would be most welcome.

2 hours ago, DOCJACOB said:

Wikipedia page for Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway has extensive references list

Aha, many thanks, that led me to the one that I thought was about "lost/disused/vanished railways in East Lothian", but it turns out to have been Lost Railways of Midlothian by  W. & E.A. Munro, which was self-published in 1985.  No wonder I couldn't find it again!

Probably worth taking a squiz at the Edinburgh libraries' catalogue, or that for the NLS, now that I know what it was called.  (EDIT: NLS claims to have it.  Edinburgh libraries' catalogue search says that my library card is invalid :().

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Try www.stenlake.co.uk. Select places from the menu,  then Lothians.

Thanks for that as well.  The only one in the Lothians list which looks a possible match for the Dalkeith book is Lost Railways of the Lothians, which I suspect might cover too broad an area.  However, it is a current title so I should be able to find it somewhere and see if it's worth buying.  (The Oakwood books that come up in that search are, as I suspected they would be, already on my bookshelf.)

Edited by ejstubbs