Bachmann class 08

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a second hand Bachmann class 08 and while running in one direction, the loco is a little hesitant, when I run it the other way, there is a terrible sort of humming/electrical almost sound coming from the motor.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar and what sort of action you took to fix (if it is).

thanks

Had something very similar in a pre owned Bachmann 08 a while back.

It turned out that the can motor was worn out! I didn't realise there were "high mileage 08s out there :o :jester:

Replacement from Bachmann spares department was cheap and easy to fit.  Loco is super smooth and quiet again now.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Premium

I had the motor in mine die after 3 months. No idea why, just stopped working one day. As it had been P4’d I couldn’t send it back so I shoved a spare Mashima 1833 in it I had. Runs okay now.

Izzy

2 hours ago, 37403 said:

Thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of cost is the new can motor?

I know, high mileage 08's, who knows what folk get up to!:lol:

Real ones fall to bits if they go too fast, so its just prototypical behaviour!   You just have to wait for the fitter to come out and fix it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, 37403 said:

Thanks for the reply.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of cost is the new can motor?

I know, high mileage 08's, who knows what folk get up to!:lol:

Can't remember - it was a couple of years ago,  but I thought it was reasonable.  Around £20 I think.

I just phoned Bachmann service department and quoted the spare part number from my loco's service sheet included in my boxed s/h one.

If you don't know the part number just find out the loco's catalogue number (google it using the loco running number) and ask the service department.  They are really helpful.

Vivian

The "high mileage 08" comment got me curious as to when Bachmann first introduced their 08, and I was able to find photos of the 1997 catalogue showing it listed... so they hit the scene 22 years ago!

Funny, I don't remember seeing them until around the early 2000's.

As ever 'date first seen in catalogue' is not the same as 'available for retail purchase'. 2001/2002 would be my guess for the first arrivals.

Quite how you wear out this Bachmann standard motor in an 08 somewhat baffles. The same units - at least to all outward appearances - are still going nearing 30 years later in my two Peaks. These did real mileage outdoors for their first three years service, and an awful lot since; reduced to BoBo mules for the track cleaning drag duty.

• RMweb Gold

Once you know the model number, you can download the user's manual exploded diagram free as a PDF from Baccy's website.  This is not only useful for identifying part numbers, but of course shows you how the model dismantles and goes back together.

Any motor will wear out eventually, and Bachmann can motors are sealed so unlike the old XO4s and Romfords we used back in the day, cannot be serviced or have their carbon brushes replaced.  Brush wear is what eventually kills most of them before the bearings give up.  It is difficult to assess the state of wear of a motor when you acquire a model second hand, although the loco's general condition can give you a feel for the sort of use and care/lack of care it's had.  

• Agree 2

My Bachmann 08s just occasionally potter around the yard at very slow speed - certainly I will wear out before they do!

The one I got second hand was in perfec external condition - and the wheels didn't look worn.  But when I got it home it didn't work well - as soon as I took the body off I could see brushes sparking through the gaps in the can motor plus smell of electric burning, and very warm to the touch - so no doubt at all that the motor was burnt out!

37403 - out of interest, please let us know how you get on with yours.

8 hours ago, Stoker said:

The "high mileage 08" comment got me curious as to when Bachmann first introduced their 08, and I was able to find photos of the 1997 catalogue showing it listed... so they hit the scene 22 years ago!

Crikey - just thinking, where did those last 20 odd years go?

Seems like only yesterday that i was so pleased with the new Bachmann 08!  After all the years of putting up with the Tri-ang Hornby effort, here at last was a beautiful little model that not only looked right but was able to run at scale speed even with my old H&M Clipper.

So a very belated thanks to Bachmann!  I read with almost disbelief on the Class 90 thread someone said that Bachmann have never made any "game changer" models.  Well IMO the 08 was certainly one.

Edit: and here it is after all these years.  Bit of weathering powder and a renumber - I'm still delighted with it!

PICT0066_(2).JPG

Edited by cravensdmufan
added comment and photo
  • Like 4

Thanks very much for all your input on this.

The loco was an ebay purchase (excellent condition stated) and at the moment, the seller is disputing the problem rather disappointingly.

He has proposed a part refund but to be honest, for the price I paid, it should really be going back.

If the seller is reading this, so be it! :angry:

Cant help with the loco as i only have Hornby and lima 08 /09's.

However as a bit of interest regarding the Bachmann one , the first lot when it came out and all the brochure / magazine photos were all using the old Kitmaster / Airfix body kit on the then new Bachmann chassis. 

I am currently reading a fantastic book about Airfix / Kitmaster called Lets Stick a Little Bit More and this fact is in the book.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Stoker said:

I think the release was around 98/99 as they are a bit younger than one of my daughters. I’ve got two from the very first releases, and a couple more from later years. The first had pickups on the tops of the wheels these can get a bit grubby and reduce performance significantly. Later versions have pickups bearing on the backs of the tyres and are less likely to be affected by track dirt. I think the Bachmann 08 was a game changer, prior to that getting a good 08 was done using a Modern Outline Kit etched kit, or an impetus chassis under a Lima body. All of mine (5), are early versions and they hold up well today, and with a little effort look even better.

B7BD4CAF-A9DA-4689-A22D-005A577C62B4.png

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

As ever 'date first seen in catalogue' is not the same as 'available for retail purchase'. 2001/2002 would be my guess for the first arrivals.

Quite how you wear out this Bachmann standard motor in an 08 somewhat baffles. The same units - at least to all outward appearances - are still going nearing 30 years later in my two Peaks. These did real mileage outdoors for their first three years service, and an awful lot since; reduced to BoBo mules for the track cleaning drag duty.

They were definitely out before that, the 2001 catalogue refers to a "new version" with a single exhaust.

As for how you wear one out, I seem to recall there was a "factory issue" with some early releases of Bachmann 08's that caused the motor to die prematurely. Bachmann were inviting people to submit warranty claims. Pissed a lot of people off though and you had the usual "rah rah the Lima one never had this issue rah rah".

3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I read with almost disbelief on the Class 90 thread someone said that Bachmann have never made any "game changer" models.  Well IMO the 08 was certainly one.

Gonna derail this thread somewhat, but some people on this site either aren't old enough to remember, or haven't been in the hobby long enough to know what it was like 20 years ago, Bachmann ARE the original "game changer". They're the only reason why any of the other manufacturers have now taken things seriously at all. When you asked their reps at trade stands back in the day why they don't produce detailed models like those on the continent they'd say "there's no market". It took Bachmann entering the scene to prove them wrong. Their 08 is the whole reason we have the Hornby 08, which is the definitive model of the most numerous locomotive ever to grace British rails. Amazingly, that wasn't a priority for anyone until Bachmann introduced theirs.

Bachmann had several "game changer" releases, some recent:

Class 08, 04, and 03
Class 24 and 25
Class 37
Class 40 "whistler"
Class 43 "Warship"
Class 44, 45, 46 "Peak"
Class 57, leading to the 47
Class 66
Class 150
Class 158
Class 410 and 411 4BEP and 4CEP

Many items on this list have encouraged other manufacturers to attempt a competing model of a higher standard, or to enter the market with a complimentary model. People forget that years ago, basically nobody made DMUs, you had to go to DC Kits for that, and you'd get LAUGHED OUT OF THE ROOM if you ever suggested a ready to run EMU! Now Bachmann are arguably the multiple unit kings, and once again we have Hornby stepping up to the plate with some fantastic SR EMUs.

I agree that Bachmann's venerable 08 is a wonderful model and we owe Bachmann a belated thanks (although, they did get a lot of rave reviews from the hobby press back then).

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I bought an 08 which was old shop display stock. It was a bit of a sluggish runner so I got it for a good price. When I took the body off to see if I could find the problem there was a coating of the white grease dried on the gears. A careful clean-up and lubrication turned it into a reliable runner.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PMP said:

I think the release was around 98/99 as they are a bit younger than one of my daughters. I’ve got two from the very first releases, and a couple more from later years. The first had pickups on the tops of the wheels these can get a bit grubby and reduce performance significantly. Later versions have pickups bearing on the backs of the tyres and are less likely to be affected by track dirt. I think the Bachmann 08 was a game changer, prior to that getting a good 08 was done using a Modern Outline Kit etched kit, or an impetus chassis under a Lima body. All of mine (5), are early versions and they hold up well today, and with a little effort look even better.

B7BD4CAF-A9DA-4689-A22D-005A577C62B4.png

So you're the one behind "Albion Yard", finally we meet! I've taken a lot of inspiration from your blog over the years, especially "Wharfedale Road", so thank you.

Just a quick question: Looking at your 08, I can see what appears to be Shawplan glazing, and etched siderods... am I right? If so, who makes the rods?

Thanks,
Scott.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 22:21, Stoker said:

So you're the one behind "Albion Yard",
Scott.

Yeh sorry bout that, theres a prison cell with my number on it somewhere! Thanks though, I still find it odd when at shows and on forums etc I get 'recognised' :)

The rods are Brassmasters etches, with crankpins by Markits/Romfords. The springs have an extra overlay on them by Tim Horn too, theres a write up here of the mods I did

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/bachmannbrassmastersshawplan-trinity/

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/trinity-08-brassmaster-rods/

https://timhorn.co.uk/Bachmann-class-08-spring-overlay/