Two Bridges Up Sidings - 80's/90's exhibition layout

Big And

Hi BigAnd.

Very nice, I particularly like the photo of the tarmac hoppers with the 60 in the background.

Right up my street.

Is this privately owned or a club layout?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 05/05/2019 at 08:51, KDG said:

Hi BigAnd.

Very nice, I particularly like the photo of the tarmac hoppers with the 60 in the background.

Right up my street.

Is this privately owned or a club layout?

Hi Andy,

The layout is privately owned.  thanks for the comments - hope you enjoy the second set of photos.  

Andy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Big And said:

Hi Andy,

The layout is privately owned.  thanks for the comments - hope you enjoy the second set of photos.  

Andy

Yes thanks, I did very much.

Notwithstanding the superb EMU's, locos and rolling stock, the main line, 3rd rail trackwork and associated equipment boxes, drain covers etc etc, are superbly observed, as is the undergrowth.

Lovely to see another 3rd rail layout on the stage. Thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big And said:

Thanks for the positive comments.  Here are some more photos starting with an overall view of the scenic section and framing.  At this rate of uploading I will need another photo running session soon!

IMG_3859.JPG

IMG_0010_1.jpg

004.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG

IMG_0035_1.jpg

033.JPG

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0070_1.jpg

Very impressive!!!

Another follower here now...

thanks neil.

Echo everyone else's comments BigAnd, great looking layout, have you got a track plan? Your stock looks great as well, I recon you need a few more photo running sessions ;) 

Hope I get to see it a an exhibition sometime.

Steve.

• Agree 4

So here is a track plan as Steve has requested.  The scenic section is intentionally simply both for reasons of frequent train movements at exhibition and for ease of construction.  The up line and down line are both physically and electrically (the layout is analogue) separate in case of faults, each being run off a Gaugemaster 100M.  Each direction has 6 fiddle yard sidings between 5 and 12 coach lengths.  The signal for each direction uses an infrared detection and a timer to return through the colour sequence.  The timing is just long enough so that the operator has to check the aspect upon approach - I find this quite an enjoyable part of the operation.  The operator also has a switch with an override to hold at red should they wish to hold a train in the scenic section.  

The yard is again physically separate but electrically piggybacks on the up line and uses a Gaugemaster model W.  The yard has space for 4 trains of 11 coach lengths plus the loco stables.  The idea is to load with 3 trains and then in turn move one to the empty space.  Occasional swap of locos completes the operational potential.  

Mike noted the undergrowth - I was aiming for early autumn colours so most of the trees are green but yellow and red tones are used and one tree has already dropped all of its leaves.  

Thanks again for the positive response - I shall look forward to looking up your own layouts and rolling stock posts.  

Andy

Two Bridges Up Sidings - General Plan.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Andy, I think the simplicity of the scenic section adds to it, I like the two sidings as well, a good place to display some stock.

Steve.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having been out with the club layout last weekend for exhibiting, I wanted to check how much space Two Bridges Up Sidings and associated kit would take up when being transported.  This is what happened! - 48274319807_9a90224ee5_o.jpg.8d53d3fcebabde50026df45df9489de4.jpg48274237011_7578b9c156_o.jpg.dc22a0e3cfc30cd578ed127cd55a63e3.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 11/06/2019 at 21:06, Big And said:

Hi Rich,

The Gatwick Express mk2s are Lima and have a variety of modifications.  They have laser cut flush glazing inserts, some toilet windows infilled, jumper cables in recesses on the outer ends of the sets, buffers removed in the middle of the sets.  Underframe has some details removed and some boxes added and the interiors are reworked with luggage racks added and some seating removed.  

I have included some photos of them on the nearer line for a better view.  

The GLV is converted from Hornby/Triange mk1 with the sides cut and shut to give the correct layout, with white metal bogies, underframe equipment and a brass sheet for the cab end.  

Thanks Andy,

You've done a superb job - both with the GatEx vehicles and the layout!  Brilliant....

Rich

• Agree 1