Two Bridges Up Sidings - 80's/90's exhibition layout

Big And

Had some running sessions this week and took some photos and videos (videos on my Flickr).  I polished the glass puddles as they had gone under a film of glues from the scenic works - much happier with these now.  

IMG_5027ed.jpg.e0f86c409558e2e370be8aeee547c5a7.jpgIMG_5039ed.jpg.54126ed4b65fd4883ad393183d91b13d.jpg

IMG_5014ed.jpg.c1cdb190f51e18d607df6a1266cf52a1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I've just discovered this thread when I noticed you were following Gresley Jn! I didn't realise you'd started up on RMWeb; it's great to see the layout here.

The photos look great and I particularly enjoyed the Gatex. That brings back some good memories.

Andy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks John, The track is all C&L except the 3rd rail which is Peco parts. I felt the simple track plan could justify the time and expense. 

The layout is specifically simple - this was both for the sake of keeping the build as simple as possible allowing me to complete a sufficiently large layout in a reasonable time. I expect it will be enjoyable to spectate if not engaging to operate.  Still, looking forward to exhibiting it. 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I tell you what, I have been following this for a while now (this is my first time posting) So very impressive and it just goes to show that even in this day and age of finely detailed models, with all bells and whistles, those Lima models still stand the test of time and are still extremely pleasing on the eye. 

Awesome scenics and a lovely setting. 

It's a huge thumbs up from me! 

Cheers

Anthony  

• Agree 2

• 2 months later...
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 23:11, 37058 said:

I tell you what, I have been following this for a while now (this is my first time posting) So very impressive and it just goes to show that even in this day and age of finely detailed models, with all bells and whistles, those Lima models still stand the test of time and are still extremely pleasing on the eye. 

Awesome scenics and a lovely setting. 

It's a huge thumbs up from me! 

Cheers

Anthony  

Totally agree with you here Anthony:good:

• Agree 1

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 10:44, Big And said:

Hi Rich - Thanks for the interest. 

Not much has happened on the layout recently although a couple new rolling stock projects are underway. 

We do now have the first exhibition confirmed - this will be for Bexhill Model Railway Club on Saturday 8 August at St. Richard’s Catholic College, Ashdown Road, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN40 1SE.  It will be great to finally get the layout out and used for it true purpose!  

Here are some photos from previous photo shoots, 

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4973.JPG

More top pictures here Big And...

thanks neil..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here are 2 more films from last weekends running for your enjoyment.  

Firstly international freight trains for the route to Dover.  Some formations are for the earlier era train ferry and some are later era for the channel tunnel.  

And secondly the second part of the intercity cross country trains.

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

I’ve just got back from holiday where I had no decent WiFi and watched the videos this morning. Great job. I love the mix of liveries in some trains - so reminiscent of the era. Rather too many 47’s for my personal taste, but that was true of the prototype as well sadly! You could try a Compton or ED as they did substitute from time to time. I’ll dig out some of my old bashing photos if you need proof.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy and Paul,

I know of Andys views on class 47's and there are a lot of them on these types of train in this era.  I don't imagine my next filming session of freightliner and shell oil tanks will do much to add variety!  The parcels and cross country trains both shared the electric train heating sub classes as there normal booked haulage and whilst there are occasions for other classes to be seen I believe these would be when the 47 had failed.  When planning the full capacity of 15 trains for the layout and whilst aiming to get the best variation of locos displayed I seem to always end up with 3 or 4 requirements for class 47's.  

Here are 2 more films of trains passing by all taken the same weekend of running.  Firstly the Parcels Trains Part 2 with more liveries coming in over the years and therefore more formation variations.  

And the last new film for now is these Speedlink trains.

Enjoy

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Great videos again. Surely the speedlink trains could have justified one of your lovely 37s?! I will bid through my photos as discussed last night and see what evidence I can produce.

One comment on the parcels trains: I would say they look rather ‘under weathered’ given my memory of parcels stock in that era.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Two Bridges Up Sidings would have been out at the Bexhill model railway exhibition today if 2020 had been going better.  To mark the date here is a compilation film of the layout in action at home.  

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Big And.

Just  found this thread. Cracking layout this and feels right. Stock looks good to. Its good to see someone still using the older Lima Models as the scrub up well with a little bit of TLC.  keep up the good work. 

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo the approbation in the previous comments posted here.  Came across this via You-tube, and an excellent layout.  I look forward to seeing it at an exhibition one day.

One silly question: where did you get the 'VTG' non-telescopic-hood ferry-wagon model, please?  Is it the Roco HO?  I would like my own, as I remember them as the only thing seen at the Crawley New Yard 'Dor-to-Dor' warehouse on the rare occasion I rumbled past on a train, but thought they were only available in the 'Cargowaggon' livery, or forthcoming 'plain'.  Thought them rather romantic, being 'foreign', even if I read years later they were carrying only chipboard.  Thanks.

Thanks for the positive comments.  We do hope to be out to exhibition next year all being well enough, possibly Bexhill and Folkstone as these were booked in for 2020 back in the happy days before the pandemic.  

The VTG van and indeed the FS van are the work of Paul Howard (like much of the non RTR rolling stock seen on our layout) and were worked from the HO Joeff Cargowaggon (photoed below next to a Hornby VDA for scale).  The Joeff is a HO model of a continental loading gauge wagon.  These are larger than an HO van based on a ferry van which is what I beleive the Roco VTG van is.  The side doors on the Joeff are formed with 10 panels correct for the VTG and FS vans rather than 9 which is correctly use don the Heljan Cargowaggon.  Pauls conversations included the modifications to the ends, new bogies, new cam couplings, new buffers, handles/handwheels and of course repaint, transfers and weathering.  

174153331_IWB-01.JPG.40d72636ae9ea9800f0af57b3006bcf7.JPGIMG_0024_1.JPG.388661851d1f776283b6ea76f502f235.JPGIMG_0017_1.JPG.2cd0a8b5a6cce45e993c2d6348937acf.JPG

The prestige of the speedlink train from Wilsden to Crawley is well captured and described in the flickr members uploads: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/actonwellsjunction/9513327244/in/photolist-2khbX6b-XGNrhp-No4LyF-jB9eMH-fuEhKw-bqunnp

Redhill 47220 6O63 0928 Willesden Brent-Crawley NY 261088

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...