G.C.R Model Event 14/15/16 JUNE 2019

Hairy Bear Digital

• RMweb Premium

Linden Grove all set up and running by 1600hrs.  Most of the other layouts and traders set up now too. From a quick walk round its going to be a good show. Plus on the full size railway two steam, two diesel locos and a dmu providing frequent services.  Early to bed tonight, its going to be a hard three days. Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

Just turned on the computer at home after an afternoon at the show.

No problems on the field with the car - and I don't have a 4x4 - as there are mats over the main muddy bits.

Show was great. A number of top class layouts and well worth a visit if you have time over the weekend.

Reference for future years, the Friday really is very civilised in terms of numbers and there were no crushes at all in viewing layouts.

John.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

As Exhibitors were parking up this morning the parking steward was doing his best to park people in civilized positions depending on their car.

Really no issues though as the mats were down over the high traffic locations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A very enjoyable day at the show operating Linden Grove, which is located right next to the real ale bar.  Only one pint consumed just before closing time.  Unfortunatly we were not quite ready when the doors were very sensibly opened 25 minutes early so people could get in, rather than leave them standing in the rain. Had lots of interesting chats with visitors, several even recognised the mystery loco on the bridge.  Didn’t have any spare time to look round or chat to other RMwebbers. Only one rivet counter spotted who politely informed me that two of my dummy point motors are actually the wrong way round, one to correct before its next outing.  Lots of good humor from visitors, GCR volunteers and other exhibitors.  Tired tonight having been on my feet from 0915 until getting on the train at 1735 tonight.  However, I’ve got work to do, I have the BRM team in miniature on my platforms, but the real BRM team are here today and wearing different coloured clothes, so I’ll have to repaint my models into the correct colours tonight.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings and I dont want to start a witch hunt or spanish inquisition but there has been a major issue overnight - a significant amount of 00 gauge models has been stolen from traders.

Cheltenham Model Centre losses run in to several thousands - Bachmann, Dapol, Hornby , Heljan etc. 

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=cheltenham model centre

Very sad. Am sure the organisers and police will do all they can to support and hopefully resolve. Please be wary if offered low cost bargains!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Administrators

OK. This is terrible news. There was also a warning yesterday morning of a thief going around as well.

Please no "hang'em and flog'em" posts. It doesn't help and you will get moderated 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Good morning,

I have just heard this terrible news. My friend is operating a layout there this weekend and he has informed me that Digitrains has also been a victim to the theft. My thoughts are with both companies. 

All the best

Charles 

I was at GCR all day yesterday with a club layout, and I have spoken to our team who are there today.

As a major victim of last month's destructive event I would strongly urge against making unsubstantiated comments about details of the burglary at GCR.

I don't think we should be commenting about security arrangements with hearsay information.

John K

Edited by John K
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Seems extraordinary, specially in light of recent events, that there was no overnight security.

You don't know what the security arrangements are. Unless you do, please don't speculate.

I do know the site us impossible to drive ou of once the gates are locked, don't I @AY Mod!

• Funny 2

• Moderators

My sympathies to any affected traders. There's a lot of hard work trading on the exhibition circuit and deserve praise for the amount of graft expended.

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Damn, what a pain !

I had an excellent day yesterday . RE car park, it was a bit “ wheel spiny “. In places as I left at 1615, there were some guys putting down sort of plastic tiles to try and negate it. I’m surprised they didn’t start with it down.

Some great layouts, not too crowded , and wide enough isles.one of my favourites was deveonport - has a fantastic miniature swimming pool complete with slides !

also had some nice rides behind the peak/ 37 combo, DMU lash up and steamy whatnot .

definitely good value at £20, plus £3 parking 

3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I had an excellent day yesterday . RE car park, it was a bit “ wheel spiny “. In places as I left at 1615, there were some guys putting down sort of plastic tiles to try and negate it. I’m surprised they didn’t start with it down.

Yesterday those tiles were down in the morning when you turned left after entering the field (they were collecting the car park fee along that stretch first thing), but they had moved them for the afternoon.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

In places as I left at 1615, there were some guys putting down sort of plastic tiles to try and negate it. I’m surprised they didn’t start with it down.

Those tiles were down when I came in at 8.20. They moved them around during the day.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I think exhibition organisers really need to step up security at shows.

How much extra, as a trader, would you be willing to pay for extra security? If a professional crew costs £40 per hour, would you be willing to see £40 on top of every stands bill? Perhaps they need to be armed ex-SAS men, in which case stick a lot more on this. Having said that "I’m starting to get asked to go to a lot of shows but I wouldn’t even consider it whilst things like this are happening" would suggest you will never go to a show, nor open a shop. Neither is risk-free.

We need to keep things in proportion - there are 500+ shows each year, and have been for decades. Stuff has been nicked from stands, sadly inevitable if you let people in the door, but anything more is rare although it has happened.

The only risk-free show is one that doesn't happen. I feel terrible for Cheltenham, Digitrains and the show organisers. No-one needed this but you can be sure it won't stop them getting out there.  

The only bit of good news is that I hear some of the items were recovered, dumped at the side of the railway line - presumably the route the thieves took in an out of the locked compound.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Are there monitored security devices available in the UK? I have a thing in my car that alerts me immediately if it is interfered with as well as reporting the car's location. The cellular service does cost about $12 a month which doesn't seem too bad. Not quite as good as a security guard of course but perhaps a first line of defence.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Now come on Phil, 

your asking people not to over react and then you put a comment such as this :- 

"Perhaps they need to be armed ex-SAS men, in which case stick a lot more on this." 

Regards,Derek.

I'd say he was parodying the sort of rubbish I read on some Facebook pages this morning.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Now come on Phil, 

your asking people not to over react and then you put a comment such as this :- 

"Perhaps they need to be armed ex-SAS men, in which case stick a lot more on this." 

Regards,Derek.

It helps if you don't take one section of my reply out of context to use a stick, but let me try to clarify this - The poster said, "Whatever security was in place it was obviously inadequate." - my question is "What is adequate security?" - it's a judgement call. For most venues, simply locking the doors and windows. That will foil the casual criminal looking for easy entry. If you are concerned, as some on Facebook are, that there are armed mobs roaming the country with a list of shows in the back of the car, then you will consider that something more robust and expensive is required. 

This leaves exhibition organisers with the unenviable task of determining the level "adequate" security and how to pay for it.

• Informative/Useful 1