G.C.R Model Event 14/15/16 JUNE 2019

Hairy Bear Digital

• RMweb Premium

... and on to the event...

It seemed a lot quieter today than previous years. Maybe the threat of a mud bath kept people away? 

There was a good mixture of OO and N, although I felt that O gauge was a little lighter this year. The walkways seemed to be a little wider which is why maybe it felt less 'busy'.

On 11/06/2019 at 09:21, woodenhead said:

Parking is £5 - http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/modelevent/venues/

They recommend Quorn - which according the above posts is a field on a hill and we're in for three days of torrential rain

It is a flat field and it rained heavily today and no-one had any issues getting off the field that I saw. I was in a car doing that very thing and the ground was easily driveable. Wet underfoot but a corduroy road surface laid along the main exit lanes.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

It is a flat field and it rained heavily today and no-one had any issues getting off the field that I saw. I was in a car doing that very thing and the ground was easily driveable. Wet underfoot but a corduroy road surface laid along the main exit lanes.

It is NOT helpful to anybody, least alone the people who organise these events, when people who are not on the spot make unsubstantiated remarks about possible problems without knowing the facts. This sort of commentary damages events, please don't do it.

Maybe, maybe not.

I still attended and plenty

of people parked at Loughborough station or on the streets by Loughborough station.  I don’t think my alluding to the weather kept people away

Nearby at the Dowload festival some people were leaving before it even started due to the state of fields from the rain.

• Moderators

Please do not post 'facts' or statements which could prejudice any prosecution or trial. It is up to the organisers and/or police to post relevant information.

• Agree 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Are you suggesting that every stall has permanent security costing £40 an hour? I was suggesting better security across the whole site whilst it’s unoccupied. Based on your prices that’s around £600 a night so £1800 (3 day show) spread across dozens of traders, I’m sure the shops who lost stock would have happily paid an extra £50 or so not to be in this position now.

What I am saying is that if you want more security, it has to be paid for. If security costs £40 per hour for the entire site, you need it for 10 hours and have ten trade stands, then everyone effectively pays for an hours worth of it - £40. If there are more stands than the bill per stand is less. It's an example. At no point was I suggesting each stall would need its own extra security, as you would realise if you bothered reading my post properly.

I'm sure those who lost stuff would be happy with the benefit of hindsight to pay extra so this didn't happen. Sadly, someone has to make the decision before the event and assess the needs and costs. If people who don't know the background start saying "I think exhibition organisers really need to step up security at shows." without knowing the details of any incident, then those making the calculations will have to consider extra measures and extra costs. Those paying these costs might be less than happy to see their stand rents going up. After all, this is thankfully a very, very rare event.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

It is NOT helpful to anybody, least alone the people who organise these events, when people who are not on the spot make unsubstantiated remarks about possible problems without knowing the facts. This sort of commentary damages events, please don't do it.

Ironic that I then have to remove a post you made about other events.

Anyway, apart from the sad news about the thefts, I had an excellent day out.

East Midlands trains as always comfy, even the TPE from Sheffield back home wasn’t full to standing plus drunks.

Nice trips along the GCR and an excellent marquee full of model trains.

Bought a couple of books including Colin Gifford’s Transition.

Nearly home now where I will meet the wife for a meal at a local bar.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Richard Croft said:

Yeah fair point, It’s much easier to say after the event that better security was needed. Hopefully future exhibitions learn from this, particularly those in temporary structures where locking doors and windows isn’t an option. Even when a building can be secured, they might not be buildings which usually hold valuable items so they might not be particularly well protected,  so I think now that model railways seem to be on criminals radars security does need to become more of a priority.

Richard

But someone has to buy what they steal - while I'm sure anyone in the hobby relatively local to GCR will be wary of any offers of sales  it would be helpful to have an indication of what has been taken if that does not prejudice any ongoing investigations?

Just got back after a great day out.  Definitely an event not to miss.    From what I could see there was a good turnout and fortunately  the weather stayed ok until 

mid afternoon when it got a little damp.  Great to see Chollerford again which is one of my favourite layouts.  All in all a big well done and thank you to the organising team.

Regards, Cliff.

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Ironic that I then have to remove a post you made about other events.

Someone who was not there commented about parking conditions, suggesting that parking could be problematical. It isn't.

I remarked about the known facts of the incident. I am at the event the whole weekend and know exactly what happened. My post contained some information that I sincerely believe would reassure others over security arrangements for the remainder of the event.

However, I now appreciate the need to refrain from posting anything that might prejudice the resolution of the situation and so completely respect the admins and mods request not to discuss anything. I honestly thought I was being helpful.

Clearly this is a terrible incident and my concern is for those who lost stock and for the GCR team who I'm aware are taking very positive steps to ensure the event continues successfully for its final day.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Really sorry to hear this news.

Trevor and Rose of Cheltenham and lovely folks who I have had the pleasure of dealing with for many years.  They and Digitrains travel many hundreds of miles each year to attend our show.  I wish them and everyone else impacted well and offer my sincerest sympathies.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Anyway, apart from the sad news about the thefts, I had an excellent day out.

East Midlands trains as always comfy, even the TPE from Sheffield back home wasn’t full to standing plus drunks.

Nice trips along the GCR and an excellent marquee full of model trains.

Bought a couple of books including Colin Gifford’s Transition.

Nearly home now where I will meet the wife for a meal at a local bar.

Like a copy of that book, what was it going for.  Any Discounts!!    Charlie

• RMweb Premium

Yes a sad day because of the theft.  I’ve found the atmosphere a bit different today; yesterday it seemed more relaxed with lots of visitors stopping for chats, today its been a bit more hectic.  I guess the difference being that visitors on Friday were mainly retired folk, while today its been more families and people who have to work Monday to Friday.  Glad I had two good friends to help with running Linden Grove, so I did manage a very brief look round the layouts at Quorn.  Have to say they are excellent with a good variety, so something for everyone. If you’ve not been yet, please do come along tomorrow and support the exhibition.

Nice to meet one very interested young visitor who spotted my shunter...

67D52FE6-A087-40A6-9678-7EE63495891B.jpeg.b29ed6193ffaabb549f09820ec2d60ff.jpeg

Yes, it a cut down 08 from the PH kit.  The young visitor had made one too. Here are a few pics of my layout, BRM staff were seen spotting on the platform end.

D5874C16-F0BC-411F-8DAB-188EE49C45E7.jpeg.69c6c64fcbfc175ae7f437c32731d2bd.jpeg

The imported 234 on test raised a few eyebrows.

85F81DC3-BE7F-4381-BC45-4CC15D6BCD6C.jpeg.84f847b25888d6fdc194f3f078c6fa9f.jpeg

While the large logo deltic seemed popular.

9073C410-8D0B-460D-BE37-BB76EAACCCE7.jpeg.cdc36d2167e9ec1ff5321d01a16ee9b7.jpeg

A big thanks to Tony Wright who did some work on one of my locos which has never run properly - it now runs well. Thanks too to the hard working volunteers providing the exhibitors brews and manning the bar - the mild was excellent.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

Edited by ColinK
  • Like 5

An event on such a large scale that could easily challenge Warley for the biggest and best model event of the year.

Not too busy nor not too quiet on the Friday when i spent the day there and great value ticket that also gives you good access along the length of the GCR.

Plenty to see and do in one day and just about managed to get around it all and visit Loughborough station for some time.

Found the GCR and model event staff in the marquees very welcoming and it was just a shame about the rain showers in between the small amount of sunshine.

Will definitely be returning next year hoping for much better weather! For those unable to attend or didn't get a chance to look round everything, highlights of the layouts in part 1, part 2 and part 3 are below. Enjoy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

I was representing BRM today at GCR. As it became apparent what had happened over night GCR have asked that this isn’t discussed on social media as it might effect the ongoing police investigation without realising. Today was very busy and we loved meeting different exhibitors and visitors! If you’re coming tomorrow pop by the stand and say hello!

56C01F0D-B46A-440C-88D6-98DCE2425CF2.png

Edited by BRMDesign
  • Like 3

Had a great day at the GCR yesterday; The combination of so many model railways, traders, and full size trains operating a frequent service really do make this an unmissable event. The bus link at Loughborough was an excellent addition too.

5 minutes ago, Leander said:

That's odd, Cheltenham Models announced the theft this morning on their FB page.

Cheltenham Models announced it on their FB and Twitter but that was very early today. I’m only passing on the advice given by GCR later in the morning.

2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Like a copy of that book, what was it going for.  Any Discounts!!    Charlie

Full price £30 which is what it was quoted as when I looked up the book via Rmweb.

Book Law have at least one but I couldn't see the price, in the end I purchased I from a stall on Loughborough station where there were several.

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Someone who was not there commented about parking conditions, suggesting that parking could be problematical. It isn't.

Err I was there, four hour round trip.

I was not the first to be concerned about the parking before the expected 4 days of rain, what was it they forecast? 'two months rainfall in one day'.  No one has complained about the parking since the show began with most people referring to the measures being taken to ensure cars did not get stuck in the mud.

• RMweb Premium

Apart from the excellent model rail attractions at Quorn, I'd say the trade stands, 16mm scale and LGB live steam at Loughborough was more interesting that the model engineering at Rothley.  No G1 or G3 in operation this year.

No problems with the car park at Quorn today.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

But someone has to buy what they steal - while I'm sure anyone in the hobby relatively local to GCR will be wary of any offers of sales  it would be helpful to have an indication of what has been taken if that does not prejudice any ongoing investigations?

Unfortunately, with the likes of Ebay and Gumtree it's nigh on impossible to spot out of the box RTR as being hookey; repainted/detailed and also kitbuilt stands a better chance if seen by the owner though. 

• Agree 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Leander said:

That's odd, Cheltenham Models announced the theft this morning on their FB page.

Yes they did, and that was it. Any speculation after this isn't necessary or helpful and will be moderated if on here.

• Agree 2