Point Motor Issue

RobertW

Hi,

I'm working to restore some wiring on a layout that has been stored for at least 6 months. I've tested all the Seep point motors, and have found that one won't throw properly. I've tried to throw it by hand, and works perfectly, so I'm leaning towards an electrical problem. I've buzzed out all the leads from the CDU to the Peco switch, and then back to the point motor. I found that there was a broken solder joint, which I've fixed. I've checked that the coils are continuous, and that there is continuity back to the switches, and the returns to the CDU.

I'm running out of ideas to check, and would welcome some advice.

Thanks,

Rob

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, RobertW said:

Hi,

I'm working to restore some wiring on a layout that has been stored for at least 6 months. I've tested all the Seep point motors, and have found that one won't throw properly. I've tried to throw it by hand, and works perfectly, so I'm leaning towards an electrical problem. I've buzzed out all the leads from the CDU to the Peco switch, and then back to the point motor. I found that there was a broken solder joint, which I've fixed. I've checked that the coils are continuous, and that there is continuity back to the switches, and the returns to the CDU.

I'm running out of ideas to check, and would welcome some advice.

Thanks,

Rob

As always ways with these,  the alignment has to be perfect in all planes.

Check the slot or hole the pin works through hasn't got bunged up with a bit of loose ballast or scenic scatter while the board has been in storage, especially if it's been up-ended.

Could as Suzie said a bit of tarnish on the solenoid cores too, a tiny squirt of WD-40 might help.