Early 1960's film

This video, or something very like it (!!) has been linked to from this site before:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80381-aberdeenglasgow-3hr-expresses-early-to-mid-sixties/&do=findComment&comment=2389287

Here's a description of the video in that earlier link:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-great-north-of-scotland-railway-films-1963-online

which I think may explain the quality.

I can't now play the earlier video - it's area-restricted - so I can't see if the two videos are exactly the same. I will say that the title of the video in this current topic is not correct. 60502 is in apple green, it and three B1s have 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on the tender, and 4498 appears, so the date range of 1960-62 is far too short.

Having said all that, it's a great video.

1 hour ago, pH said:

.......I will say that the title of the video in this current topic is not correct. 60502 is in apple green, it and three B1s have 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on the tender, and 4498 appears, so the date range of 1960-62 is far too short.

Surely 1950-52 would be nearer the mark?

Jim

4498, which appears in the video,  is 'Sir Nigel Gresley' as preserved. It was withdrawn as 60007 in early 1966, so the date range has to be to 1966 at least.

• RMweb Gold

I think the dates maybe a little confused but what the heck, the quality of the video is generally so much better than normally what's on offer..........thanks for posting.

Rgds.........Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A great video, many thanks. I particularly liked the piece featuring the A3 (with double chimney and German smoke deflectors) at the head of a train with snow on the platform and the light fading so very atmospheric.

The section at the end with 60502 in hybrid LNER/BR livery was a real treat - the variety of stock on the train was also interesting. I not too bothered about the date issue but I guess the video covers the period from about 1948/9 up to the mid 1960s?

Kind regards,

Richard B

PS Can anyone confirm the shed in the film? St Margaret's? or with all those late period A4s it could be Dundee Tay Bridge? or both ?

• Like 1

The film covers several periods each of interest. I think it has been on here before as I recall talking about the final shots of Earl Marischal (which must be late 40s). A letter to my Mother and I from my Father when he was away on one of his Aux. Air Force trips after the war describing his train journey (for Mother to read to me) "Tell the boy it was the same big green Engine as brought us back from Edinburgh last week  Earl Marischal". So I can claim to have travelled behind this loco (and presumably been taken up to see the engine) in this condition - rebuilt as a 4-6-2 but in LNER green.  I believe that by the time it got BR green it was posted down South. From a coach point of view it's train is really interesting.  The ex Coronation twin still in two tone blue and the variety of shades of "teak" one of which I am fairly sure is a "convertible" Sleeper Third that I made a kit for many years ago.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1