'Uffexe' - Devonian small space 7mm branch line

Aureol

It's probably a photographic illusion but it looks as if the top of the platform edge would foul the van doors if you tried to open them. The platform surface should be 2'9" - 3' (19 - 21mm) above the top of the rail.

Dave

• Agree 1

Dave - arghh, a mis-measure on my part, you are correct it’s about 4mm too high, not sure how that happened, tomorrow’s job to reposition!

Edited by Aureol

Some updates over the last week or so....

Cut baseboard for a small brook which will emerge from the overbridge embankment,  this was quite hairy, lots of reinforcement to support the plywood baseboards, foam board for the banks with lashings of PVA and paper

Scratch-built the first of two plate girder sections over the brook, these will need detailing with walkways and rivets (I wish someone made simple domed plastic rivets that could just be glued into appropriate holes - any alternative ideas welcomed). 

Built the halt waiting shelter with a plasticard shell (with wooden beam one the entrance - another coffee stirrer) clad with sections of a San Palegirno can (other fizzy 'pop' is available) which I ran through a hand paper crimper (hugely satisfying). This will be a prototype only though, needs refining and a bit of rescaling but the broad form is there

First bit of ballasting done in the platform area this being the first panels of track that have been wired.

Quite enjoying this!

Giles

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

Edited by Aureol
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glies, rivets are available from Historex but made in Russia by MasterClub. Historex has a web site which when you find your way around it to MasterClub lists all the sizes with pictures. 

They are very crisp mouldings but you can't stick them using mek-pak. 

I use them all the time on my 7mm wagon builds.

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

5 hours ago, airnimal said:

Glies, rivets are available from Historex but made in Russia by MasterClub. Historex has a web site which when you find your way around it to MasterClub lists all the sizes with pictures. 

They are very crisp mouldings but you can't stick them using mek-pak. 

I use them all the time on my 7mm wagon builds.

image.jpeg

Fantastic, thank you, that’s the very thing!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I tend to use superglue. I have also drilled holes the right size for the stem to go in, but because they are very slightly tapered they can be pushed in without any glue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Things are moving along - station name boards next - I've noticed that the Smiths 7mm GWR name board brass letters are out of stock, plus I can't get onto the GWR e-group to get the TTF name board font file.

Two questions - would anyone have an U-F-F-E-X-E going spare in the brass letters that I could buy (preferred option) or does anyone have the TTF font file to hand.

Thanks in advance - need the detail to be right.

Giles

First time I've seen a model of a platform sharing an over bridge and it reminds me of Shaugh Bridge Halt on the Tavistock branch, but there are others.  Most interesting!

Brian.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brianusa said:

First time I've seen a model of a platform sharing an over bridge and it reminds me of Shaugh Bridge Halt on the Tavistock branch, but there are others.  Most interesting!

Brian.

Its a space saving cheat, haven’t got the room to depict a whole station! Modelled after Halberton Halt on the Tiverton branch but as you say there are a few around such as Doniford Halt on the West Somerset Railway.

• Thanks 1

Further to my previous comments concerning Shaugh platform under the road bridge; before the platform was built a siding existed for the transloading of iron ore from the Dewerstone and other mines in the area.  Very similar to Chris's top picture!

The siding was removed and business apparently went to Bickleigh, a bit further up the line.  Or should that be , down the line?

One thing, there's no chance of track doubling!:O

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1