'Uffexe' - Devonian small space 7mm branch line

Aureol

• RMweb Gold

I agree that there is a clear inbalance in favour of the GWR. It does seem excessive that we have at least 4 panniers as well as 2 prairies (and you forgot to mention the mogul from Heljan.)

Having said that, I'd rather see more of the others than less GWR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N15class said:

1 LBSCR (as nice as it is, it's no use to me), 1LMS, and BR, yet you can get panniers, 14xx, prairies, etc. Along with B sets and whatever the GW call pull push coaches. 

Yes a great imbalance compared to eastern, midland and southern.

Unfortunately you are not going to like the reasons for this!

Firstly the GWR wasn't created at the time of the grouping, so it had been making panniers and prairies for a long time.

These were to be found all over the GWR & WR, so over a long period of time.

Secondly, the following they had/have is larger because of their longer existence as a company.

This is why model makers choose them, they are a safe bet, for every Southern enthusiast (or LMS, or LNER) there will be

possibly 5 GWR followers (and don't even think about pre-grouping!)

Sorry, but it's just the way it is, you ask a GWR modeller which tank loco he would want to start with, the answer might be

probably a pannier, followed by a prairie (doesn't really matter which variant).

Try that with any of the others and you will be lucky if they can narrow it down to less than 5! I think the Jinty and the Terrier

were probably the best compromise, and the J94 Austerity is the missing one. Could you come up with a better choice for any

of the other Big 3, that fills the criteria of long life, good geographical coverage, and universally popular with modellers?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Firstly the GWR wasn't created at the time of the grouping, so it had been making panniers and prairies for a long time.

These were to be found all over the GWR & WR, so over a long period of time.

Secondly, the following they had/have is larger because of their longer existence as a company.

This is why model makers choose them, they are a safe bet, for every Southern enthusiast (or LMS, or LNER) there will be

possibly 5 GWR followers (and don't even think about pre-grouping!)

Very true to the first part, the gw just expanded at grouping. 

I thought most panniers and prairies were from the 20th century.

As for ready to run models, there was an imbalance in 00 many years ago. So did the modellers pick what was easy to do or the RTR makers do what people wanted?

Anyway this is well off topic for what is so very nice modelling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, kes said:

Looking forward to updates from you, as the weather improves and the temperatures warm up. Most of my modelling has been done on the dining room table for the last couple of months.

In much the same vein, much of my dining has been done on the modelling table for the last couple of months.. .......

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• 9 months later...