Portescap motor final drive gear.

Afternoon all,

I`m in the process of trying to convert a loco chassis that held a Romford Bulldog motor into one that will take a Portescap motor.

So far, things have progressed well but I`ve now come to a halt because I need to locate a final drive gear for the motor. As far as I can tell , I would need a 10mm dia, 15 tooth gear with a 3mm dia hole to take a  Romford axle.

I`ve checked various sites but have not found one yet and I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.

If all else fails, I`ll have to go back to the other motor.

Many thanks,

Jim.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Contact Ultrascale:  https://ultrascale.uk/  They have provided me with replacement Portescap final-drive gears in the past. 

You may need to wait awhile, as they manufacture stuff to order, and won't necessarily have what you want "on the shelf".

Is it definitely a 3mm axle you are using?  I know Romford make 3mm diameter axles for specific jobs, but most stuff uses 1/8 inch.

Cheers, Dave.

Firstly I believe Romford axles are 1/8 inch diameter.

The standard Portescap final drive gear should fit on Romford axles.

They may need a touch of a reamer or round file.

I believe Ultrascale make a suitable final drive gear for the 16mm diameter motor gearbox assemblies.

Gordon A

Thankyou DLT and Gordon A. You were both correct, I should have said a 1/8th axle, not 3mm.

Many thanks for the information. I`ll follow that up and see what happens.

Many thanks once again,

Jim.