Simplex restoration in the news

Chrisr40

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 37114 said:

I am confused, I thought that this was restored by Salvage squad/ Ruston of this parish or is that a different one?

That was LR3090, which is a protected Simplex rather than an armoured one. Quite a few protected ones still around. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

I think it's the last surviving one except for any others...

it could be the last armoured survivor but there are several protected survivors

Edited by sir douglas

There's one at Amberley Chalk Pits museum, however that was a lightly protected one, I think it was privately owned as only one person was allowed to drive it (and every time he started it he needed a can of WD40 or cold start) It was a monster though.

• 2 months later...
On 08/05/2019 at 13:20, The Evil Bus Driver said:

There's one at Amberley Chalk Pits museum, however that was a lightly protected one, I think it was privately owned as only one person was allowed to drive it (and every time he started it he needed a can of WD40 or cold start) It was a monster though.

This is the Amberley one (taken yesterday 14/Jul/19)

DSC04906.JPG.e63feef8069eb72864797fce4b2d73bf.JPG

• Like 2

On 07/05/2019 at 12:43, sir douglas said:

it could be the last armoured survivor but there are several protected survivors

There are two armoured survivors. The other is in Antigua. The claim is that this one has it's original engine so is the only original condition one, although they had to make new armoured lid and sides for it. The antigua one has a new engine but the original 'lid', just raised up 6" to allow some air for the driver. They also cut big holes in the ends for ventilation.

I'd say it definitely isn't the only surviving armoured one, and it's practically a tie over which is more original. Good work restoring it though, it certainly looks the part and it's good to have examples of open, protected and armoured types working.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 15/07/2019 at 19:12, Shadow said:

This is the Amberley one (taken yesterday 14/Jul/19)

DSC04906.JPG.e63feef8069eb72864797fce4b2d73bf.JPG

That's the one. When I was there the rail dept foreman, a guy called Graham Boutell was the only one who drove it. He always had a can of WD40 to hand to start it with lol. This would have been around 1995-96ish

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
A rather glaring typo...

11 minutes ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

That's the one. When I was there the rail dept foreman, a guy called Graham Boutell was the only one who drove it. He always had a can of WD40 to hand to start it with lol. This would have been around 1995-96ish

Never heard of WD40 being used to start an engine - it's for lubrication and easing. Easystart is the stuff you squirt into air inlets and hope to get the thing to run (there's an Aussie version aptly named StartyaBastard), in addition to wiping your bores clean with subsequent rapid increased wear rate on the rings and bore. A fire extinguisher was also carried as it had the nasty habit of carb fires.

Nowadays it's a very reliable performer since fitted with new cam followers and a replacement magneto. Also a new radiator core. Lots of hours spent on it by a very capable team. Still usually tow-started but will run all day - safely - albeit with incredibly high petrol consumption. It was out running last weekend.

4 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Never heard of WD40 being used to start an engine - it's for lubrication and easing. Easystart is the stuff you squirt into air inlets and hope to get the thing to run (there's an Aussie version aptly named StartyaBastard), in addition to wiping your bores clean with subsequent rapid increased wear rate on the rings and bore. A fire extinguisher was also carried as it had the nasty habit of carb fires.

WD40 burns beautifully, it would probably be more effective on a diesel

For the amount and time you use EasyStart it isn't going to damage an engine. A rich fuel mixture is more likely to clean the bores through condensation when starting from cold

The biggest problem with EasyStart is - it works! So people use it to start engines that really need work doing to them. When they finally won't start even with EasyStart they are very tired indeed

Richard

1 hour ago, decauville1126 said:

Nowadays it's a very reliable performer since fitted with new cam followers and a replacement magneto. Also a new radiator core. Lots of hours spent on it by a very capable team. Still usually tow-started but will run all day - safely - albeit with incredibly high petrol consumption. It was out running last weekend.

Lol yes the fire extinguisher was a fixture too.