Gaugemaster Collection - Class 73 Locomotives in N Scale

The Gaugemaster Collection is a carefully chosen range of items, produced in conjunction with tried and tested manufacturers to bring items to market that perhaps wouldnt usually have seen the light of day. There are items planned in OO, N and O Scale, and all items are "one time only" production. These items are available from all UK model railway retailers, so you can purchase these products from your local Gaugemaster Stockist as well as ourselves.

We have received sample bodies of the previously announced Class 73s, which you can see below. Please note - as these are samples they will be subject to scrutiny, colour checking etc. so any errors will be changed before the real thing is produced!

59301641_2438260569531437_6726280679480360960_o.jpg.d1ad3c641ffa867a33d4edf8cd1fa5f4.jpg59152990_2438260636198097_1849076608833421312_o.jpg.a04a222e37ae6981c857c27bbc14317d.jpg

GM2210201 BR Class 73 E6003 Green

RRP £99.95

GM2210202 BR Class 73 E6039 Electric Blue

RRP £99.95

GM2210203 BR Class 73128 'OVS Bulleid CBE' Dutch

RRP £99.95

GM2210204 BR Class 73126 Kent & East Sussex Railway Network SouthEast

RRP £99.95

GM2210205 Network Rail Class 73212 Yellow

RRP £99.95

GM2210206 GB Railfreight Class 73136

RRP £99.95

Features of our Class 73 Locomotives:

6-pin decoder ready

Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted hand rails

Darkened wheels and pin point bearings

5 Pole motor for smoother operation

All wheel drive

All Wheel pick up

Directional lighting

NEM couplings

Includes both standard and knuckle couplings

Includes spares bag with additional detailing parts

Locomotives due later in 2019

See the full Gaugemaster Collection range

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still awaited some livery revisions were quoted a while back and then awaiting factory time slot

I guess chassis got a next 18 makeover as well - hopefully anyway. Body moulding still excellent but let down by Jones era chassis and glued in wiring on first/ early batches, later with NEM converted bogies had mini plugs for lighting but the diode issues on the cottage industry looking PCB.  Latest model class 50 and 68  a complete evolution having had expert input and better production.  

All good things worth waiting for  I guess 

Robert       

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Features of our Class 73 Locomotives:

• 6-pin decoder ready
  • Detailed body with etched grills and separately fitted hand rails
  • Darkened wheels and pin point bearings
  • 5-pole motor for smoother operation
  • All wheel drive
  • All Wheel pick up
  • Directional lighting
  • NEM couplings
  • Includes both standard and knuckle couplings
  • Includes spares bag with additional detailing parts

I'm not too familiar with Dapol's N gauge Class 73, so can someone please clarify if DCC-ready, etched grilles, separately fitted handrails, directional lighting are new features? If so isn't this like a partial re-tool?

9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I'm not too familiar with Dapol's N gauge Class 73, so can someone please clarify if DCC-ready, etched grilles, separately fitted handrails, directional lighting are new features? If so isn't this like a partial re-tool?

I've got an older Dapol 73, it doesn't have any of those features apart from partial directional lighting (no red lights) and all the grills seem to be part of the moulding.

Maybe some pieces are separately fitted but my version is running on a split chassis.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, JimSan said:

I've got an older Dapol 73, it doesn't have any of those features apart from partial directional lighting (no red lights) and all the grills seem to be part of the moulding.

Maybe some pieces are separately fitted but my version is running on a split chassis.

Thank you, thought as much. Glad to see they've updated the model in many areas.

• 1 month later...
Guest Cliff Powell

When I enquired with Gaugemaster about the etch grills and separately fitted details a few years back I was informed that they were the same mouldings as the last run. So I doubt they'll be updated models sadly. 

I wonder if we'll ever find out or if they've abandoned the run. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2020 at 15:59, D9020 Nimbus said:

BTW, I'm pretty sure the 73 was introduced before Dave Jones joined Dapol—it was one of their first models (ISTR only the 14xx preceded it).

Hi  Open to correction but I do recall seeing him proudly holding one at Warley or similar show years ago.  So it might be it was his or certainly involved very early on. 

Robert 

• Like 1

On 18/12/2020 at 15:59, D9020 Nimbus said:

BTW, I'm pretty sure the 73 was introduced before Dave Jones joined Dapol—it was one of their first models (ISTR only the 14xx preceded it).

Unless I have misunderstood things, I believe DJ was either involved in or ran Nthusiast Resprays, who  commissioned a pair in RailTrack blue/green (73212 & 73213, one being a dummy) as a Limited Edition of 100.  So I presume that he was not working for Dapol at that time, whilst Dapol must have been producing the model, i.e. the 73 must pre-date his arrival at Dapol.

Howver, he may have later been involved with improvements to it after joning Dapol, perhaps?.

I'm looking forward to these little gems and expect they will turn up eventually... always liked to see the class out and about in various liveries over the years.

Cheers,

Ixion.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Yes DJ was Nthusiast resprays as a sole trader and enjoyed some success, but funnily not universal acclaim.  Pretty certain there was overlap from his time at Dapol. Certainly having the backing of Dapol in creating the 73 would have allowed the limited  edition to appear as a no risk to Dapol activity.  The dummy 73 was a brick due to friction issues IIRC - I ended up putting a working chassis under mine.    

Still we digress and of course no updates from the "horses mouth.! "   ho hum. 

I’d heard that it was ‘complications’ around the financing of the Nthusiast limited edition 73 that directly led to DJ working for Dapol.

Something similar to having to wash the dishes at a restaurant after your meal...

I do hope these appear but in an upgraded form, my old 73 had a profound wobble (as did all my early Dapol stock I recall...) 

David

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Crepello said:

Why not ask them direct rather than on here?

Because they started the thread and therefore one can assume it's one way of getting in touch with Gaugemaster who've started this thread to showcase a product that they're bringing to the market with Dapol.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Because they started the thread and therefore one can assume it's one way of getting in touch with Gaugemaster who've started this thread to showcase a product that they're bringing to the market with Dapol.

Your signature

"CURRENTLY OFF ALL SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS DUE TO AN INCREASED AMOUNT OF ONLINE HARASSMENT BY MANY FORUM MEMBERS. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CONJURING UP STUPID THEORIES ABOUT ME AND THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH AND TRYING TO SHAME US PUBLICLY."

speaks volumes and much more than your response!

Ask the question direct rather than speculate over a forum.

Edited by BokStein

i have asked the retailer i ordered with but no answer. i paid up front for 2 models. 

i just thought maybe gm used the forum (as they posted to advertise an o gauge class 73 the other day for example...) but anyway its up to them if they do or don't want to use the forum... 

not trying to start a war, just would like to know if these models are still happening or not! 

i applaud gm for commissioning some n gauge models btw, just would be nice to have an update.... 

have a great bank holiday weekend everyone 

tim

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/05/2021 at 01:20, BokStein said:

Your signature

"CURRENTLY OFF ALL SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS DUE TO AN INCREASED AMOUNT OF ONLINE HARASSMENT BY MANY FORUM MEMBERS. PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CONJURING UP STUPID THEORIES ABOUT ME AND THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH AND TRYING TO SHAME US PUBLICLY."

speaks volumes and much more than your response!

Ask the question direct rather than speculate over a forum.

The last time I checked... This thread was started to discuss the GM Collection Class 73s in N scale. 

If you have an issue with something I do and insist of providing your "valuable" feedback. Please send me a PM. 

Thanks

Edited by MGR Hooper!