DCC Command Station with Android App 'LocoMotive'

Hi, I am new to this site, however I would like to inform members of a new DCC Command Station I have developed. It has an Arduino Nano and H-bridge with only a few components on a small PCB. The generation of DCC packets are completed within an Android App. This makes for a very simple hardware design ! The App is free and the components required are available on eBay.  The system controls up to 20 locos, 8 functions and up to 16 turnout/accessories. Short address programming is also included. 

All compatible with small to medium size layouts. 

Details of this project are on the Instructables and Hackster websites. The free Android App is on Google Play Store - titled 'LocoMotive'

Link to Hackster:

https://www.hackster.io/user526496/model-rail-digital-dcc-command-station-arduino-and-free-app-52dfab

Bluetooth_android_DCC_LMD18200_schem.jpg

Bluetooth_android_DCC_LMD18200_pcb.jpg

pcb_photo.JPG

IMG_0570.jpg

ebay_dcc_pic.jpg

Screenshot_pic1.jpg

20180928_144253.jpg

All 28 of them (well 30 if one includes the two F0 functions).  With per-loco option to set latching/non-latching, and ideally with per-loco option to decide which is displayed, the text to add to each button (horn, driver swearing, etc..)

But, please have a serious think about the UI design of your App.   I've used it, and its not that nice to use when compared to other Android throttle Apps which are around.

- Nigel

Looks very interesting, and ideal for a shunting plank or similar. 

Just a thought about the physical design of the components in the box.  That copper antenna for the bluetooth module looks awfully naked.  If the sticky pad that holds the bluetooth board to the side of the box parts company, the antenna could end up anywhere!  A bit of heatshrink over it would solve a lot of problems!

Thanks for your suggestion, I have released an updated App with up to 28 functions and optional titles, visibility and momentary operation. There are now 4 programable on-screen speed bars with an improved UI (hopefully!). This version is 'LocoMotive Control' - available on Google Play Store (cost £3)

locomotive_control_3.jpg

locomotive_control_1.jpg

locomotive_control_2.jpg

• 10 months later...

Bill, your product and app interest me. I have used Digitrax sporadically for 20 years, seldom 'getting into practice' because of (a) other commitments and (b) far too much trouble with what I see as failures and glitches in the hardware and software. You offer what is possibly a low-cost alternative: let's say "lower financial risk", especially given swingeing postage rates across the Pond..

As a modeller of USA outline, I'm used to 4-digit addresses and this is a feature I'd like to see you offer.

American railroading also relies on high horsepower figures, so I need to know whether your controller offers 'consisting' (hooking up locos to run in multiple).

The current rating of 2A may be a bit low for several trains double- or triple-headed (sometimes more). Whilst you must cater first for the conventional and moderate needs of UK and European modellers, I'd be interested to know whether you feel the unit might 'grow' to offer a real alternative to those with my kind of eccentric preferences.

Whatever the answer, well done for pitching at the DCC market with an interesting offering.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Have just bought this system to try out.
I've never really been a fan of using PC's or touch screens to run a Loco much preferring to use a rotary control knob.
Touch screens are great for operating points though!

1533134418_3Dprintedbox.jpg.f4ad9bb071d0c4ce3bde6424b04a0f89.jpg

This is was all packaged up very nicely inside a cardboard box.

1479416727_Connectionsonbox.jpg.cf4a232f5b903019d4f51df6cae5db27.jpg

Conections to go to the track and the 2amp 15v input to power it all.

1448317803_WiFiDCCcontroller.jpg.5aabe3e65ae950fb8ceb24ba178a7fec.jpg

Inside the box!
This is just the interface between the APP and the layout.
This is the WiFi version which allows more than one Andriod device to be connected, the Bluetooth version only allows one Andriod device.

The app is Locomotive Wifi DCC 3 which can be found in the play store.
I have been trying the basics out and it all works rather well!
You set upto 50 locos in the roster and then call them up into the throttle screen where you can switch between 4 locos. You can name each loco and each function for that loco, also select which of the 28 functions are latching or momentary, great if you have more than one horn and don't wish to keep turning  it on/off.
Turnouts also work with no issues and again can be named to suit your layout.

The CV read/write operates with no issues on my mixed bag of decoders so all good.
For the price I think its a very good solution.
I'm in no way connected to this, just thought I'd post a quick overview.
Will post a full review once I've had more time playing, but so far so good!

There is no separate progamming track but I'm used to that and have a DPDT switch set up to flick between main track and program track.

Link below to ebay for the different modules or even a bare PCB if you want to build one yourself!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cuthbertw/m.html?item=233936143653&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I have been in contact with the designer and Bill has come back to me very quickly taking on board some of my comments to improve the app.
Any questions just ask and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction