Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Terry Gough

Bluehorizon68

Just had a phone call from my mother who informed me that Terry passed away last Sunday 05/05/2019. She new Terry and his wife through her church  in Woking Surrey. I understand from conversations  with my mum that they lived in or near Sidmouth in Devon. He and his wife spent a lot of time doing charity work out in Vietnam.

I have in my book collection several publications by Terry, which I have found are invaluable when researching various railway topics.

I only met him once at Woking 150 back in 1988.

RIP Terry, may you rest in peace.

Heartfelt Condolences to his family and friends. 

• Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Indeed a sad loss - one of the 'all-time greats' of steam era and Southern Region photography. He helped me and The 00 Poll Team with photos from time-to-time and I have many of his books.

Brian

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I met Terry towards the end of last year when he was looking to sell part of his library - he'd already sold his collection of railway tickets and his photographic collection. He had terminal cancer, which he was facing with a calm acceptance. He and his wife were living at Beer Hackett near Yeovil, but were hoping to move to Sidmouth. I think they finally got there at the start of March.  I saw him just before this, when he dropped a load of OS maps off to me in Bridport. He was, on the basis of a very short acquaintance, a fine and generous man. Rest in Peace.

• Friendly/supportive 2

To avoid any embarrassment, can I take it that this late gentleman is he who wrote a quite inspiring series of articles on converting Hornby GWR clerestories to Southern Railway coaches, in the Railway Modeller in the mid 1960s?

Many thanks,

Glover

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...