Programming a number of Cobalt Digital Motors

wab764

• RMweb Premium

Just one point to add:  It's vital to switch OFF the power before moving the switch back to RUN.  Below I've set out  the sequence which was given some years ago on this very forum. 

Interestingly I was programming a set of 8 Cobalts on our new club layout yesterday.  I did No 1 and on testing it, found 3 or 4 of the other points were moving at the same time.  At first I thought that possibly these newly purchased motors had been preset to 1!  But checking I found that some of the switches were at SET.  Luckily easily fixed as I programmed all the motors. Obviously my careless installation

"Connect DCC input

Put switch to SET

On NCE Powercab proceed as follows:

Press “SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO *– ENTER 1

REPEAT : SELECT ACCY - ADDRESS NO – ENTER 1

Disconnect DCC power

Put Switch to RUN (or Normal)

Re-connect DCC power and check movement using PowerCab Accy button."

(* Number of point as chosen in the range of 1-2044 but of course not 197,198 & 199)

To change direction, SELECT ACCY - 197– ENTER 1

SELECT ACCY - 197– ENTER 1

To turn off self centering use 198

To turn on self centering use 199

You only have to switch the power off when you have issued 197/198/199 commands to the motors. If you are just assigning an address you don’t need to.

also, if doing multiple 197/198/199 you only need to switch the power off at the end of setting them all - you don’t need to do it for each and every motor

saves an awful lot of time

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Note that address/command 198 is not required for motors supplied in the past 2 years or so.

There is no real requirement to send the address twice - that's just a "belt and braces" approach.

Don't send the 197 command twice, this will cancel out the initial request to reverse the motor.

They are delivered positioned in the centre, but the automatic centring is actually disabled. (contrary to the manual)

If the auto-centre is on, they will do a left/right/centre at power up.

If it is disabled, they will not move at power up unless commanded to do so.

The default address when new is #1, so if you operate #1 on a new layout, before addressing them individually, they will all move.

As mentioned above, power only needs to be removed when performing the 197-199 commands.

They should retain their address even when going through the 197-199 sequence.

A quick way of centring the motors if required - get them to move and then remove the power feed halfway across. Far easier than going through the 199 and then 199 commands.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Newbryford and WI Morrison for clarifying everything !  So nice to have the unexpected movement explained.  I couldn't have worked it out obviously. 

Just hope the OP hasn't been confused by my errors!

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

FYI I've just been testing mine (purchased 2020) and whilst Accy+<addr>+1 sets the address I found that Accy+<addr>+2 was also needed in run mode to throw the switches. So +1 pulls the switch, +2 pushes it, rather than it being +1 to flip.

I thought at first I'd bought some duff ones when they didn't respond to Accy+<addr>+1 after being set.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

FYI I've just been testing mine (purchased 2020) and whilst Accy+<addr>+1 sets the address I found that Accy+<addr>+2 was also needed in run mode to throw the switches. So +1 pulls the switch, +2 pushes it, rather than it being +1 to flip.

I thought at first I'd bought some duff ones when they didn't respond to Accy+<addr>+1 after being set.

are you saying that two addresses are needed to throw and close the point?

By pressing the 1 or 2 above, you are sending the left and right commands for address #1, not two separate addresses. 

When the switch is in the SET position, a Digital IP motor "listens" for an accessory command (it doesn't matter if that is a left or a right, 1 or 2, t or c) and it will remember that number when the switch is put back to RUN.

It depends upon your DCC system on what buttons you have to press to send the accessory command.

For example, it is is SELECT ACCY, number, 1 or 2 for direction, for a NCE Powercab. (You can toggle direction using just the SELECT ACCY button on a Powercab)

SWCH, number. t or c for a Digitrax.

By default, the address is #1, so they will work "out of the box" with the switch in the RUN position and sending either the left or right command from your system for the accessory address #1.

Edited by DCCconcepts

22 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

are you saying that two addresses are needed to throw and close the point?

Andy, it is just one address - it was just a very confusing post as the poster was referring to the keys he presses on his handset, and not saying that you need to add 1 or 2 - which is also the way I read it initially :)

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I see the confusion. No what I'm saying is that the last keypress needs to be either 1 or 2 depending how you want the turnout to be set. This information appears to be somewhat obscure and in particular some directions say that repeating the initial instruction after setting the control to 'run' will cause the motor to move which it won't - or at least didn't for me. I had to send a 2 to get it move the first time.

Unfortunately the project is now on hold. It would appear that Cobalt-SS motors are not powerful enough to work against the spring on an N gauge Setrack point so I have to decide if I trust the motors enough to risk rendering my turnouts unreliable by removing the spring or if I should wait a couple of years for my next layout which will be The One True Layout :)

Edited by AndrueC

Unfortunately the project is now on hold. It would appear that Cobalt-SS motors are not powerful enough to work against the spring on an N gauge Setrack point so I have to decide if I trust the motors enough to risk rendering my turnouts unreliable by removing the spring or if I should wait a couple of years for my next layout which will be The One True Layout :)

I have removed the springs from all my Peco Code 55 Streamline points so that they work with my Tortoise motors, similar to the Cobalts.

Tis also means that you get slow movement of the point blades, BUT you must connect the point frog to one of the accessory switches on the Cobalt because without the spring blade contact will be unreliable..

Regards,

John P

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good comments, thanks. I've already accepted that the blade contact cannot be relied upon for electric flow (experience is a wonderful thing :)so have ensured there's a supply to all the rails. The frog is plastic so there's no connection needed there.

My main concern with removing the spring is what do I do if a motor burns out and I have to remove it. I have this vision of the un-sprung, un-powered turnout 'flapping in the breeze' and causing derailments. Is that a serious risk or is the spring there mostly to try and help with electrical contact? Can an un-sprung turnout be trusted to stay where it's set?

I don't want to find myself with a section of track inaccessible until I find the time to replace a failed motor.

Edited by AndrueC