Signaling

Hi All,

When installing signals on a layout one thing that would help a lot of amateur modellers like myself, would be a site that one could upload a sketch of ones layout, and for a fee, get some professional advice on what signals go where.

I've had a look on the web but cannot seem to find anyone that would offer such a service. Any ideas and links would be great.

Best Rgds,

Dave R.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, PomDave said:

Hi All,

When installing signals on a layout one thing that would help a lot of amateur modellers like myself, would be a site that one could upload a sketch of ones layout, and for a fee, get some professional advice on what signals go where.

I've had a look on the web but cannot seem to find anyone that would offer such a service. Any ideas and links would be great.

Best Rgds,

Dave R.

You can get that here, usually without a fee!

Start a topic (or rename this one) "Signalling advice please" or something similar.

Edited by St Enodoc
speeling
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, PomDave said:

Hi All,

Best Rgds,

Dave R.

What era is your model? At least with modern image you can go and look at prototypes. If a bit earlier maybe there are still some areas that are still absolute block.

I learned a lot about signalling from the SimSig simulator, an excellent piece of software. Some of the sims are also absolute block if you're modelling the not-too-distant past. The site has some introductory documentation on abs block which could give some hints on signal placement

https://www.simsig.co.uk/Wiki/Show?page=usertrack:semaphores

If modern image i'd dive right in and start with some simulations. I never knew about overlaps etc. until i started using it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Signalbox.org website has a lot of useful information, explaining the different ttypes of signals etc, and a load of example signalling diagrams.

As St Enodoc says, there are quite a few threads in the "Permanent Way, Signalling and Infrastructure" forum here asking exactly that - here is one as an example (purely the first on the list as i type this!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I posted a plan of my layout under the "Permantent Way, Signalling & Infrastrcuture" topic in the Skills and Knoweldge centre and got loads of advice.  No fee, and many folks from the forum gave advice on different aspects one needs to consider when planning the signalling for a layout. I was far too late in respect to this. I had laid track, scenery etc before requesting advice on signalling. This created the need to remove incorrectly placed double slips etc and re-lay with single slips to ensure the track layout was somewhat protypical to allow proper placement of the signals.

If you are at the planning stage, I highly recommend posting your plan and asking the question. 

• Agree 1