SWAG Member's Day - 2020 - CANCELLED

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

Seems to me that there are two parts to this - first of all the layout owners and demonstrators might want to prepare some photos (and possibly YouTube footage) before the date, showing the layout in operation or showing a step-by-step guide to whatever is being demonstrated and then be on-line on the day (but probably limited to an hour or so, or maybe an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon?), to answer questions and generally engage in banter.

and Spams can show videos of him drinking beer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

8 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I can see this testing our ingenuity.....

If you bought the new Hornby DC phone app hardware thingy, we could all have a go at driving your layout remotely.  I'm sure it would go well...

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/Hornby-launches-app-for-model-railway-control/

Edited by Stubby47
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Don't you mean enginuity? :lol:

Ah! I see what you did there......

• RMweb Gold

It would be rather nice to see what we will missing. Two unmissable events around  that time SWAG and then the ALSRM show in May both where I go as much to meet with friends  as to see the layouts. Very noticeable too is the lack of steam engines running. Working in the garden I am used to hearing the trains on the WSR. Once I get the new plastering finished off and painted I can re-erect the layout and run the Railmotor now fitted with sound.

One question about the video show. Do I need special insurance on the laptop if it is to feature one of Black Rats shirts?  I shall also greatly miss the cakes judging by the lack of flour on the supermarket shelves I doubt whether I shall get any at home. 

Do keep well all of you look forward to meeting again in 2021. I do not know at this stage whether we will be holding Rail-Ex Taunton in October (its normal date) but if it goes ahead I would be pleased to see any of you there. I will most likely be taking money on one of the doors in the mornings. Do say hello.

Don

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Donw said:

It would be rather nice to see what we will missing. Two unmissable events around  that time SWAG and then the ALSRM show in May both where I go as much to meet with friends  as to see the layouts. Very noticeable too is the lack of steam engines running. Working in the garden I am used to hearing the trains on the WSR. Once I get the new plastering finished off and painted I can re-erect the layout and run the Railmotor now fitted with sound.

One question about the video show. Do I need special insurance on the laptop if it is to feature one of Black Rats shirts?  I shall also greatly miss the cakes judging by the lack of flour on the supermarket shelves I doubt whether I shall get any at home. 

Do keep well all of you look forward to meeting again in 2021. I do not know at this stage whether we will be holding Rail-Ex Taunton in October (its normal date) but if it goes ahead I would be pleased to see any of you there. I will most likely be taking money on one of the doors in the mornings. Do say hello.

Don

Morning Don. 

I'm looking forward to being at Taunton Railex in October with Bleat Wharf , when I hope things will have eased sufficiently to allow a return to some sort of normality. I shall enjoy a catch up........hopefully arriving earlier on the Friday night than last year.........

In the meantime, I am working on getting Sheep Dip into a presentable format for April 26th. 

As for the Rat's shirt.......that's in the laptop of the gods in terms of loudness and civility....

Rob. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Don. 

I'm looking forward to being at Taunton Railex in October with Bleat Wharf , when I hope things will have eased sufficiently to allow a return to some sort of normality. I shall enjoy a catch up........hopefully arriving earlier on the Friday night than last year.........

In the meantime, I am working on getting Sheep Dip into a presentable format for April 26th. 

As for the Rat's shirt.......that's in the laptop of the gods in terms of loudness and civility....

Rob. 

Bleat Wharf sounds like one of those bits of platform one can find in the Forest of Dean where stuff from the tramways would be loaded onto the Railway proper. These have largely disappeared under brambles and braken but odd bits find favour with the sheep.

I look forward to seeing your vision.

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Super D said:

They are full of mush.

We send it over the border from Devon, no good to us when the real pasties are made here !

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Super D said:

We don't class Ginsters as Cornish pasties!  They are full of mush.

The G-word is considered more obnoxious than the term "emmet" in Cornwall and is many times ruder than "Bottom".  No self-respecting Cornish-person would ever consume one of their products.  

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Super D said:

Their standard pasties are indeed mushy. I would rather buy Tesco or Morrison "own brand".

But strangely, Ginster's Vegan Pasties have lovely chunks of tasty "meat" in them. Very nice.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

The G-word is considered more obnoxious than the term "emmet" in Cornwall and is many times ruder than "Bottom".  No self-respecting Cornish-person would ever consume one of their products.  

Even true for some of us Emmets too :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I've told the story before about how, many years ago now, one of our signalmen working in Cornwall ran away to join Ginsters.

He stayed working with them in the factory for only a few weeks, before he managed to escape, horrified by what he saw there.

Unfortunately his job had already been re-advertised.

I don't know what became of him then. He might have run away to Horrocksford.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

On the antisocial media platform one of the groups I belong to had a newly-arrived member asking for the best pasty recipe the other day.

I responded with "Shall we tell him about the carrots?" 

I then posted this picture describing the objects as "Pasty Carrots" and with the advice "Don't use the orange ones - they're English" :jester:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 12.19.23.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2020 at 20:51, Super D said:

Must admit I enjoyed watching the show (am a sucker for seeing all those clever machines at work)...but am not sure I would want to eat one from there now :O

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

On the antisocial media platform one of the groups I belong to had a newly-arrived member asking for the best pasty recipe the other day.

I responded with "Shall we tell him about the carrots?" 

I then posted this picture describing the objects as "Pasty Carrots" and with the advice "Don't use the orange ones - they're English" :jester:

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 12.19.23.png

Now course you've opened up the argument again, be they swedes ur turnips 

• Funny 1