Peaseven Yard

Porthleven

Somewhere Up North

St Martin-sur-Orb

Ruskin Lane ?

Stonethwaite & Bainrigg

Rüthi

:)

Maybe a bit early to ask but is the plan at the moment to do SWAG 2021 please? I am conscious that other shows around that time (eg Trainwest) have already cancelled but would be great if SWAG happens in some shape or form if safe to do so??

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Maybe a bit early to ask but is the plan at the moment to do SWAG 2021 please? I am conscious that other shows around that time (eg Trainwest) have already cancelled but would be great if SWAG happens in some shape or form if safe to do so??

Also if not possible to arrange for the normal Sunday, would picking another weekend later in the year be a viable alternative?

• RMweb Gold

While it may be a bit early to make definite plans it would be a shame to rule it out. The number of attendees is not that large usually so we probably could restrict numbers. I believe those of us over 50 may have been vaccinated by them but that would leave the younger ones at risk.  It is a tricky judgement to make as there may alsways be some risk.

Don

• Moderators
2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Maybe a bit early to ask but is the plan at the moment to do SWAG 2021 please?

When Stu and I last conversed a couple of months ago I suggested that it may not be wise to say at that (or this) stage that it would go ahead on a 'normal' date as there were (and are) too many unknowns and why give everyone the headache of will it/won't it happen? Far better to see what the world looks like much nearer the time even if it means doing something at short notice or an alternative date when we would have more confidence in our world functioning better.

I'm sure he'll be along to confirm or deny that such discussions may or may not have been had.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Far better to see what the world looks like much nearer the time even if it means doing something at short notice or an alternative date when we would have more confidence in our world functioning better.

I agree 100%

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Far better to see what the world looks like much nearer the time even if it means doing something at short notice or an alternative date when we would have more confidence in our world functioning better.

I agree 99.9%.

I don't want people to think that I am merely copying somebody else's view.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I agree 99.9%.

I don't want people to think that I am merely copying somebody else's view.

Its alright as long as you have a decent photo of the opinion to copy... ;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, as I am about to start a new layout, 

2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Which one ?

True....

Ahem.....

'Who's that bunch of clowns' 

Or............:girldevil:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, as I am about to start a new layout, I should have something ready to go at short notice.....

Pilots-of-No.-601-County-of-London-Squadron-run-to-their-waiting-Hurricane-aircraft-at-RAF-Northolt--1941.-Squadron-scramble-staged-for-General-Hap-Arnold-USAAF.jpg.314d2d7dbe52a3a3eb2abfadf6988a3c.jpg

© IWM (HU 2408)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

'Open wide!'

3 hours ago, bgman said:

supercreepy-1.jpg.de99db7ff565765aa8907957775e5ffc.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Surely you want your pasty to be bigger than that!

The steady acceleration of the Trebuchet should ensure the pasties' structural integrity is maintained.

Whereas a Ballista's more violent launch manner might cause the pasty to break up and deliver a shower of smaller particles.

[Yes, my mind is wandering somewhat, I'm in isolation at the moment....]

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

The steady acceleration of the Trebuchet should ensure the pasties' structural integrity is maintained.

Whereas a Ballista's more violent launch manner might cause the pasty to break up and deliver a shower of smaller particles.

Is this from theory or are you conducting trials Rich.

Don

Edited by Donw
smell chucker
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

We conducted trials with a 6ft tall trebuchet about ten years ago at an outdoor centre where a friend was the general Mr Fixit. The idea was they would make two kits that the kids would assemble and then fire as a race. 

Test one with a bag of sand in the box and it fired an apple at god knows what speed near horizontally across the playground and hit the netball post and exploded! On checking it had hit about 5ft off the ground, so lost about 3 ft from the top of the arc and the skin was wrapped around the pole inside out but the rest of the apple had basically vapourised. Sadly I’ve lost the video in the photobucket debacle. 

On the basis of this we decided that maybe it was a bit too powerful and the project was abandoned. Still Ian has a very nice mini trebuchet in his garage! :) 

That could probably deliver a pasty in a style where you wouldn’t need to worry about the long term effects on your arteries ;) 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1