Bachmann class 47 lighting

Dougjuk

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Need some help from someone who knows electronic stuff.

I bought a class 47 chassis to go with the spare 47346 body I had obtained.  However this chassis does not have the headlight LED's fitted so I bought the LED's but they will not work because there are a couple of missing parts.  Take a look at the photo I am missing the connections at C6 and R6, I have added the second photo of the panel in 47359 with those parts.  Can someone ID the bits and where I can get them.  

regards and thanks 

Doug

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

Hi Doug

C6 a surface mount (SMD) capacitor - unsure how you could find out it's value ? 

R6 - a surface mount (SMD) resistor 1.5Kohm  - (152)  - same as the others on the circuit board

The New White LED's would appear to be fitted in the 2 holes directly below D and the Blue wire to the terminal left of the Green Wire. The Bachmann 47 unusually has dual common return wires, normally there are only 3 wires on other models - 2 feeds 1 common return.

Being so small, these SMD components are not normally sold individually, but available on eBay in multi-strips  

HTH

Ken

• RMweb Gold
On 11/05/2019 at 17:02, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Doug

R6 - a surface mount (SMD) resistor 1.5Kohm  - (152)  - same as the others on the circuit board

The New White LED's would appear to be fitted in the 2 holes directly below D and the Blue wire to the terminal left of the Green Wire. The Bachmann 47 unusually has dual common return wires, normally there are only 3 wires on other models - 2 feeds 1 common return.

Being so small, these SMD components are not normally sold individually, but available on eBay in multi-strips  

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for that, I have found that Bachmann sell the boards but have been quoted £22 inc postage, not sure if thats for the pair or just one.  But I have been looking around a couple of spare PCB's from dead locos and found some resistors marked 152 and a few capacitors that look the same size but as you said no markings.

I am going to have a go at removing and see if I can install.  At leat I have something I can copy and I have spare LED's in case.

Once again thanks for the help.

Doug

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/05/2019 at 17:02, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Doug

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

I know 2 years have passed ince your post, but I have a question if you have a monent to help.

The C6 capacitors, are these for the DC operation?

Do I need them if as I plan, replace the complete Bachman main board  with a Zimo Adaplu board, aand change the wiring setup of the headcode board.

Ian

Hi Ian

If your completely replacing the Bach main circuit board with a Zimo board, therefore using DCC I'd leave the nose end boards as is unless you plan adding headlights if they are missing. I'm not familar with that Zimo board but check if it has any on board resistors for the decoder outputs. If not in-line resistors can be fitted to each output wire Yellow/White etc etc all Blue wires being connected together.

Try 1K resistors to start with and check if your happy with the light brightness. Ex factory lights are usually far too bright.

HTH

Ken

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2021 at 17:48, Dougjuk said:

I ended up getting a replacement from Bachman and kept the old kit for spares.

Doug

Noticed you managed to get new nose circuit boards.  I was working today on an early Bach 47 which also has the headlights missing.  I removed the nose end circuit boards and fitted a 1K SMD resistor at R6 along with a capacitor ( I robbed it from an old Bach circuit board) at C6 together with new White LED's - result working headlights with the markers. So it can be done.

HTH

Ken

Edit:  The capacitor is not required, just the a new LED and a 1K resistor, works fine without.

DSC03342.JPG

DSC03343.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
Add text