Farish 374-891 Blue/Grey Stanier 50ft BG

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I have one of these on the way but am having trouble finding a photo of the prototype (or indeed any example in blue grey).

One thing I am querying is whether by the time it got blue/grey, did it still have the end corridor connectors?

I have a BR blue one already that after reading a NGS article a few years ago I blanked off the ends, do I need to repeat the process when my new one arrives?

I have a copy of David Larkin's book "BR General Parcels Rolling Stock, a pictorial survey"and it has a photo of an LMS BG in blue & grey which appears to have its corridor connector still in place. It is vehicle number M31262M (lot 1357) and is at Plymouth in 1969.  Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Arrgh, look what I have just found!

31024_1977_06_Derby

No corridor connectors on this one.

What is the number on the Farish model?  All the pics of the model one are all catalogue shots of the OO Scale version!

• Like 1

Depending on when the repaint to B/G occurred it stands every chance that BOTH gangwayed and non-gangwayed is correct for these vehicles, depending on the period you're modelling. Some vehicles were painted in B/G in the mid-late '60s and gangway removal also began piecemeal in the late '60s with the real purge not beginning until the early-mid '70s; and not all ended their days with the gangways removed. If you know the vehicle numbers you can use the listing in the link below to figure out if the gangways were removed.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/carriage-conundrums/lmsr-br-non-passenger-carrying-coaching-stock-disposals/lmsr-br-gangwayed-passenger-brakes

I'd venture that its safe to say that a fair number of removals seem to have occurred around 1972-75 as borne out by the withdrawal dates, vans withdrawn before '72 don't seem to be listed as losing their gangways where some withdrawn in 75 had lost theirs. From what I can find Bachmann are numbering theirs as 31060 (Hornby also did this one in Maroon?), which did lose its gangways and was withdrawn as a stores van in 1980/81.  I think it safe to say that even if the gangways were removed on your chosen vehicle, that B/G with gangways intact is largely OK for pre-TOPS.

• RMweb Premium

I took a quick look at it when it arrived this morning before heading out to work, there seems to be a paint date of (19)71 on the sole bar so that says to me gangways stay on this one, for now anyway. 

The Blue & Grey ones got around a bit.  If you can find the DVD "Changing Trains volume one" there is some nice footage of D818 Glory at Bristol Temple Meads with a Weymouth - Bristol train - and the first coach is a Stanier BG in Blue & Grey (I cannot quite make out if it still has it's gangways though).

Be a bit careful with the RCTS list.  While I don't doubt that it is 99% accurate - accidental mistakes can creep in.  According to the list - the last Stanier BGs with gangways had gone by 1981 - but I remember finding a picture elsewhere on the web that must have been taken in 1982 at the earliest (there was a Y reg (ie Aug 82 - July 83) parked car also in the shot) showing a Stanier BG (couldn't make out the number though - but it appeared to be one still in revenue earning service) in plain blue with its gangways still intact.

• 1 month later...

I don't think the livery was ever in question, more whether it retained gangways in B/G of which I was certain they were there, though am still unsure of when it lost them. It is a great reference photo none the less. It also shows, for those interested in correcting the Farish model, which handrails and steps need removing in addition to where beading remained. My only bugbear of the Hornby model is that the beading has to be removed which then requires a repaint! Thankfully the Farish model has no beading and it can be applied using a bow pen.

• Like 1