Hornby R7140 TTS Valenta

miles73128

18 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Installed my TTS Valenta into a HST today. Sounds great! Much better than the MTU chip! The horn functions are fun, especially interesting F18/9 High-Low...Prototype loco! Is this a clue..........

Think about which live loco has the Valenta fitted as a clue to where the motor sounds could have come from. Recently seen running on the MNR.

I agree the variety of Valenta horns is good.

Being fitting mine tonight. Right pain getting the dummy loco apart. All 4 of the brass collets for the screws had come away from the body. Eventually eased the back off to open it.

No obvious place for the speaker in the dummy section but tucked it under the PCB.

Hear are some pics adding the new TTS chips to the HST power and dummy cars (full detailed versions).

The power car has an obvious place to fit the speaker. Unfortunately the screws provided with the chip are too big. But it is a snug fit anyway. The dummy car has no obvious place so we blue tacked it under the main PCB. 

The instructions say orange wire for pin 1, but the wire is actually tan. In anycase pin one has a square solder point underneath while the others are round.

I purposely fitted the 8 pin pocket the wrong way round in the dummy car to denote a different sense of direction.

EDIT: In fact you should fit it round the right way. The Dummy PCB board is already set so that the cab is rear end.

In my DCC controler, each chip will have its own address, and run in a consist.

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

Edited by JSpencer
Correction
  • Like 3

Hi.  A number of people swap around what you've done and put the chip under the circuit board and the speaker at the back.  This allows you to get a bigger speaker.  Have a look at the roads and rails website/YouTube that'll show you this.

4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Hi.  A number of people swap around what you've done and put the chip under the circuit board and the speaker at the back.  This allows you to get a bigger speaker.  Have a look at the roads and rails website/YouTube that'll show you this.

It will fit at the back but you need to raise it a little to avoid fowling the pickup wires. The cable Hornby supply between chip and speaker is quite short.

On 12/05/2019 at 12:57, No Decorum said:

If you fitted the decoder in the trailing car the wrong way round, do the lights still work?

Normally it should reverse the lighting directions. If the dummy is at the rear with the powered car header fowards, then - hopefully - the dummy will dsiplay red tail lights. (This in consist mode).

EDIT: In fact you should fit it round the right way. The Dummy PCB board is already set so that the cab is rear end.

Edited by JSpencer
Edited

8 hours ago, JSpencer said:

It will fit at the back but you need to raise it a little to avoid fowling the pickup wires. The cable Hornby supply between chip and speaker is quite short.

I know, they cable does seem to be on the short side.  I fit Megabass speakers to my HSTs so the shortness of the cable is less of an issue

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the mega bass speakers from Road & Rails based on Richard's excellent video for my TTS valenta chip. I'm going to run it as twin power cars having picked up a spare power bogie several years ago. Has anyone tried this? How is the chip configured to do so?

I will need twin power cars as a full length formation stalls on my helix.

neil 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2019 at 15:06, Downendian said:

Just ordered the mega bass speakers from Road & Rails based on Richard's excellent video for my TTS valenta chip. I'm going to run it as twin power cars having picked up a spare power bogie several years ago. Has anyone tried this? How is the chip configured to do so?

I will need twin power cars as a full length formation stalls on my helix.

neil 

How did it go? Did you fit the dummy car with a power bogie?  Any issues with bunching?

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2022 at 10:02, NFWEM57 said:

How did it go? Did you fit the dummy car with a power bogie?  Any issues with bunching?

Two years later and still on the to do pile i’m afraid. Plenty of modelling done in the meantime but this is a low priority project. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Have decided to go down a different route to provide more power and add another powered bogie to the power car.  Will have to be a bespoke job as there is not a lot of room.

Will be trying a centrally mounted and more powerful motor driving both bogies.   Need to be able to haul 7 Mk3 carriages plus the dummy power car.  Will also convert to EM gauge.

Edited by NFWEM57
added additional info
  • Like 1