Class 66 TTS

Ouroborus

After a long thought, I binned my order for the Hattons LL 66 and went for the Hornby.  The money saved bought a tts chip (or three) and I got one of Richard's mega bass speakers too.  As supplied, the speaker is an oblong one, a bit like their 67.   Fitting a mega bass was mighty easy - tons of space in these basic locos.

First of all I had the speaker facing up but found it produced a sound much too deep - the body cavity probably didn't help.  Fitting it face down was better, but still a little deep.  Cutting a few holes in the chassis and sealing the speaker down with plasticine enhanced the treble massively and gave the model the right 'zing-zing' sound, with not too much bass and none of the hiss. 

As supplied it is way too loud, but I was absolutely made up with the sound quality.  I thought the 08 was good, but given a few tweaks, this is outstanding and it put a real smile on my face.  And £25 in the antics sale!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

As supplied it is way too loud, but I was absolutely made up with the sound quality.  I thought the 08 was good, but given a few tweaks, this is outstanding and it put a real smile on my face.

On Richard's advice I fitted most of my TTS decoders with two 8 ohm speakers which reduces the sound to a more acceptable level for home use. MUST be wired in series though.

Delighted with all my TTS diesels. Thanks again Richard.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I was impressed with the TTS 66 decoder when I tried it, they are starting to get it right with these decoders now, they are getting closer and closer to the market leaders.

Richard

Agreed.  They are getting better and better.  IMO class 60 is great, and the 08 sounds fabulous.

Roll on the Class 50!  (which IMO hasn't been given justice to by any sound provider yet.). 

• 1 year later...