Amazing service from Hattons.

DaisyDots

Yesterday (Thurs. 9th) at approx. 1-15 pm, I emailed Hattons to order two second hand locomotives. This morning (Fri. 10th) at 11-00 am, received from my postman.

Thanks to all in sales dept.

• RMweb Premium

I placed an order with them for a TTS decoder at 15:16 on Friday the 3rd and it arrived yesterday at 16:56, that's 6 days.

Even allowing for the BH, that's slow. It seems to have been a combination of factors. See picture.

Normally they turn up within a day or so.

Rob

H7146 TTS 08.png

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

I placed an order with them for a TTS decoder at 15:16 on Friday the 3rd and it arrived yesterday at 16:56, that's 6 days.

Even allowing for the BH, that's slow. It seems to have been a combination of factors. See picture.

Normally they turn up within a day or so.

Rob

H7146 TTS 08.png

That seems like it's been stuck/lost in the systems of Sankey Sorting Office* all that time. From the Friday to the Wednesday.

*Proper name for Warrington MC as it's actually in Sankey

Jason

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That seems like it's been stuck/lost in the systems of Sankey Sorting Office* all that time. From the Friday to the Wednesday.

*Proper name for Warrington MC as it's actually in Sankey

Jason

I don't think RM work at the weekend and Monday was a BH, but Tuesday was a normal working day which seems to have disappeared during the process.

The 48 hour tracked service is not a guarantee but a target apparently. But seeing as how I ordered mid-afternoon Friday, and maybe Hattons didn't process anything until Tuesday, that's still 4 days to get to me.

It doesn't seem to be Hattons fault, although they could have put it in a Jiffy bag, which would have gone through the letter box, rather than a medium size box which may have arrived when I was out and gone back to the depot. I know about volumes and  one size fits all, but it could have led to a failed delivery, leading to more delay, for an item that was eminently suitable for a Jiffy bag.

I was not criticising Hattons for the delay, I've used them several times before and had no problems. Just pointing out the vagaries  of our postal system.

Probably sensitive to delays as I ordered some rechargeable AAA cells from RS components and after a month they were still "out for delivery" on the tracker. Customer service was a shambles and eventually I contacted RS who sent replacement that came the next day!

As I said ,the vagaries of the post, and Oh to live in Warrington. :)  You lucky people.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I don't think there was any delay. The RM 48 hour tracked service on the Hattons website states "Royal Mail Tracked 48. This service is tracked and delivered in 2 - 3 working days.". You ordered after 12:00 on Friday (Hattons aim to dispatch on Friday if before then) and their website states "No guarantee of same day dispatch, we aim to send parcels within 48 hours of payment being taken".

Seems to me, given it was a Bank Holiday weekend you got the goods about when expected.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Not Hattons, but I think it's relevant as we rely on the 'mail' to get our orders to us.

RM are a law unto themselves. I ordered a used item from a seller on eBay on the Tuesday before the last Bank Holiday.

He posted it Wednesday, it was at his local office until early Thursday morning, when it moved to another office. On Saturday it arrived at the Newcastle office. So far, so good.

Then Bank Holiday Monday 8.03am, I got a 'delivered' email, the item was delivered by Newcastle office at 23.37h on Sunday. Needless to say this is impossible. The Newcastle office is a regional sorting office and my local office, some 20 miles away from Newcastle, delivers. Contacting the seller was a waste of time, contacting eBay resulted in them telling me it was showing delivered so they would disallow any claim from me.

I could not get the seller, or eBay to accept that RM do not deliver at midnight on a Bank holiday Sunday. Fortunately it did turn up, on Tuesday morning, and when I asked the guy what happened he suggested that 'someone at the Newcastle office had [essentially, clicked the wrong button.' This has made me very wary about ordering anything of any value via eBay. Also I'm quite reluctant to mail order anything. My wife, and our bank manager, will be pleased.

Edited by GeoffAlan

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffAlan said:

Not Hattons, but I think it's relevant as we rely on the 'mail' to get our orders to us.

RM are a law unto themselves. I ordered a used item from a seller on eBay on the Tuesday before the last Bank Holiday.

He posted it Wednesday, it was at his local office until early Thursday morning, when it moved to another office. On Saturday it arrived at the Newcastle office. So far, so good.

Then Bank Holiday Monday 8.03am, I got a 'delivered' email, the item was delivered by Newcastle office at 23.37h on Sunday. Needless to say this is impossible. The Newcastle office is a regional sorting office and my local office, some 20 miles away from Newcastle, delivers. Contacting the seller was a waste of time, contacting eBay resulted in them telling me it was showing delivered so they would disallow any claim from me.

I could not get the seller, or eBay to accept that RM do not deliver at midnight on a Bank holiday Sunday. Fortunately it did turn up, on Tuesday morning, and when I asked the guy what happened he suggested that 'someone at the Newcastle office had [essentially, clicked the wrong button.' This has made me very wary about ordering anything of any value via eBay. Also I'm quite reluctant to mail order anything. My wife, and our bank manager, will be pleased.

Nothing like a bit of an over-reaction after one incident is there? Have you actually looked at the Royal Mail statistics? They are very impressive and stand head-and-shoulders above many comparable services in Europe, often at a fraction of the price.

In any operation dealing with billions of transactions a year, things will go wrong from time to time, that is a fact of life.

Oh, and Royal Mail are not a law unto themselves, they are regulated by OFCOM and independently assessed.

Roy (who does not work for Royal Mail)

• Agree 2

Mezzoman253

RM only seem to pick up once a day, I think that it is generally in the AM. Therefore your order missed the Friday pickup and  would have been collected on the Tuesday, no pick up on the weekend or bank holiday. It should have been entered in to the RM office on the Tuesday, and looking at the timing, there is no way that it  arrived at RM on the Wednesday at 06:50AM. so it probably sat in RM on the Tuesday without being processed.  

I am sure that Hattons no guarantee of same day shipping is because they have no control of the RM pick up time but it is unlikely that items ordered are passed to RM same day unless you order very early and Hattons picked it before 10 :30 or so.

Not trying to make excuses for Hattons or RM

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:10, Steamport Southport said:

You should try to. It's probably been the best shop in the country over the last seventy years or so.

Jason

I have used Hattons for the last 10 years and have generally only received an excellent service, a few problems but that is to be expected over a large number of orders.  I now live in Austria and whenever I order a loco from Hattons I always use their DHL Service which is not only cheaper that the courier services offered by other shops but also the speediest.  I have many cases where I have ordered items (by 'phone or by Internet) in the morning and they have arrived here in Austria the following day.  If not so urgent, I use their DPD Service which is again is cheaper and faster than RM.

P.S.  I there is anyone in eastern Austria who has an 00 gauge layout and would like to contact me, then I have be only too happy to recieve any response.

• Agree 2

Hattons service downunder is flawless.  Oddly if I purchase an item on a Saturday night (Saturday daytime on your side of the world) then quite often the goods are delivered mid-week (following Wednesday or Thursday).  That is merely days to travel half the globe.  If I purchase during the week then delivery could take almost two weeks.  I do not know if international packages are collected on a weekend but RM does seem to excel with purchases at these times.  I have made dozens of purchases from the store over the years and the service to get items packaged and in the post is exemplary.

• Agree 2

A delivery today, Tuesday morning,  Sydney in the land of OZ.    I received the picking list email from the store last Friday.  The store as usual and RM have been amazing of late with international deliveries.

• RMweb Gold

The service can be far too good:D, last order I received from Hattons came way before I expected and was picked from our Post Box by SWMBO, "another train then" was the cool comment, I received accompanied by a terrifying glare:mellow:  when she brought the parcel home...........took me weeks to work through that one!!!:wub:.

Seriously though, Hattons have over the years been above reproach with their efficient and friendly service to Oz.

Rgds......Mike

• Funny 2