Triang class 81 traction improvement

ianmacc

Hello all. I have an old Triang class AL1/81 in good working order. In common with all Triang locos fitted with magnadhesion without steel track the pulling power is reduced and it struggles with more than a couple of coaches (I use old Lima Hornby etc so there is wheelset resistance anyway). I can add some more weight to it which may work. Anyone done this and where did you squeeze it in? The central area above the existing weight looks good but would rather get it around the power bogie. Also what did you use? Pre made or homemade.

ps you can tell it was intended to be a dublo release when you take the body off. Not very Triang family in appearance...

18018D53-9826-4F35-AE0F-7ACC74E68EA5.jpeg

2F9A1101-04C0-41E9-BA78-58C85151C074.jpeg

27614888-212F-4554-A7F1-808B373957D3.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Pictures
  • Like 1

Nice Layout there. I haul six coaches with mine without problem on Peco track. They are usually Triang/Hornby/Lima, but they do at least have pin point bearings, and the curves aren't too sharp. The class 81 never had magnadhesion, many being fitted with the serrated wheels for traction. I swapped those out on mine for smooth to reduce the hum!  Making sure the stock is serviced will help. A tiny - and I do mean tiny - drop of oil in the right places can make a big difference to the drag.  Failing that adding weight I guess is the way to go, but make sure the motor is well serviced too.  The motor won't appreciate carrying extra weight on dry bearings...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Alternatively buy the cheapest Bachmann class 85 you can find, and transfer the mechanism to the class 81 body shell? (I feel this is in the spirit of the 'march of progress' which 25kV AC traction represented in the 1960s.)

Unfortunately the modelling budget would not permit that. I do have an 85 on the shopping list but not to cannibalise. I couldn’t justify buying two as even the cheapest nudge three figures.  I also like the older units as they possess sentimental value including that electrical smell when they warm up that seems missing with newer units! 

Good call all about the wheelset change as I did that to my Triang blue Pullman and it transformed the quietness of the running.

I will give all my coaching stock a lubrication on the axle bearings to see if I can make the load easier to handle. 

I wonder if the weights in the Hornby 43 or 47 would squeeze in anywhere? I may try and if so pick a couple up. 

Ah, the nostalgic smell. I keep one old 1950s Princess operational for this purpose...

If it is to be weight, then your best plan is sheet lead. Try a plumber's supplier or builder's merchant, they usually have offcuts chopped in for reclaim which they may be prepared to sell. Usual thicknesses are code 5 (5lbs per square ft) and code 7 (7lbs ditto). Code 5 is very easy to cut to shape. I'd reckon on filling the cab below the window line above the power bogie, room for two or three ounces there where it will do most good.

• RMweb Gold

I had never seen the inside of one of those before. It should not be all that difficult to replace the bent metal bar with a straight one and fit a second motor bogie. Should be able to pick one up quite cheaply.

Just an update. Went to take a look at it and whilst cleaning the wheel surfaces I noticed that one powered axle was grinding round freely. Checked it out and the axle hung cog was worn down one one side and not making contact with the worm gear on the motor. Basically it had started to drive on one axle only hence the sudden loss of performance. 

Another question if I may? Are the axles insulated whichever way round they go or are they handed and swapping it around would cause a short?? I swapped the worn one round so that the unworn side now contacts the worm gear and now it meshes until I can get a replacement axle. Sadly I snapped the wire to the motor so I cannot try it until I get the soldering iron out!

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Just an update. Went to take a look at it and whilst cleaning the wheel surfaces I noticed that one powered axle was grinding round freely. Checked it out and the axle hung cog was worn down one one side and not making contact with the worm gear on the motor. Basically it had started to drive on one axle only hence the sudden loss of performance. 

Another question if I may? Are the axles insulated whichever way round they go or are they handed and swapping it around would cause a short?? I swapped the worn one round so that the unworn side now contacts the worm gear and now it meshes until I can get a replacement axle. Sadly I snapped the wire to the motor so I cannot try it until I get the soldering iron out!

If the motor bogie is the same as the Met-cam DMU I had, one side only is insulated to allow the chassis to be the common connection.

BTW the body is from Hornby Dublo, when Triang took over both companies were devrloping an AL1, pragmatism meant the HD body was used for both. (suitably tweaked)

The HD one had a vertical ringfield motor driving just  one axle with tyres, all the other axles were used for current pick up and the bogies were way to short wheelbase wise.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ianmacc said:

You should be able to push the pinion along the axle so that it mates with the worm, It should be in the middle anyway.

Might need a little bit of force.

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

BTW the body is from Hornby Dublo, when Triang took over both companies were devrloping an AL1, pragmatism meant the HD body was used for both.

Almost, but not quite. Tri-ang were developing a Class AL2, hence the pattern of the bogie sides (just the bogie bracket was altered). Take a look at this spread from the Tri-ang 1965 catalogue - the blue electric top left is E3046. The resulting compromise model was a true Tri-ang + Hornby loco.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Almost, but not quite. Tri-ang were developing a Class AL2, hence the pattern of the bogie sides (just the bogie bracket was altered). Take a look at this spread from the Tri-ang 1965 catalogue - the blue electric top left is E3046. The resulting compromise model was a true Tri-ang + Hornby loco.

Good last minute change in retrospect given the longevity of the 81 vs the 82 which spent long periods in storage and was restricted to empty stock after 1983. Not capitalised on though with the short production period.