Page loading slow and twitchy

Further to my previous post:

Very varied time to load pages again right now, especially when I click on the button or star to see the latest post in a thread. Taking 20-25 seconds to load some pages. Other pages load almost instantly. Marking post as Read is again producing a long hang of the banner at the top of the page.

Come back and fix it Andy . . . you are missed!

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm also now in the ranks of those who are experiencing long delays loading pages. I'm also often getting a message that something went wrong with the page and it is having to be reloaded.

Dave

PS It has taken over a minute for this post to be displayed after sending.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The slowness of page loading is really hacking me off.  Apart from the layout of the page changing as the adverts load as things resize the avatars on each post, even in compressed mode, take for ever to load.  I've lost count of the number of times I touched a post only to find the stupid system takes me to some other post entirely as the layout has changed.

Anybody know of a way of changing settings to get rid of the avatar on every list entry?

Cheers

Dave (aka fed up of Winchester)

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree.

The only way I get an acceptable performance on RMweb these days is by using my desktop on a wired network.

The laptop whether via wifi or mobile data is slow.

The android tablet and phone are painful whether on my own wifi, or via mobile data.

The problem of the page taking forever to load and bouncing about as it does so, meaning you don't get what you think you clicked on is infuriating.

No other website seems to suffer from these effects on any of my devices.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Have you got another device you can try Dave? I only see anything like that when I'm on a very weak mobile signal.

I certainly do.  All my devices exhibit this problem to some extent.  My household broadband delivers around 20mbits/sec download and right now I am getting 11mbits/sec across my WiFi.  The worst performance is with my Google Nexus 10 tablet running Android using the Chrome browser where the performance is frankly dire and puts me  off visiting the site (of course this is the device I use most!).  The best performance is with a Windows laptop directly connected via ethernet using the Firefox browser where the page loading speed is acceptable but the flickering is still visible although as the load is quick enough is less of a problem.

In my view it is a fundamental problem with the way some of the pages of RMweb are delivered. They are simply too complex with a ton of stuff that 90% of users will never use, umpteen bits of JavaScript which are probably unnecessary and to top it all advert streams that deliver varying sizes of content.  The latter is an absolute no no when it comes to designing usable interfaces. Many studies have been done on this topic and screen images that flicker and reorganise in view of the user have always been the number 1 annoyance to users.

I don't know what you can do about it but as you can see from other posts in this thread I'm not the only one seeing the issues.  I'm afraid your software provider has sold you a poorly designed piece of software that is suffering from serious code bloat.  I'm sure if we all went out and bought the latest and greatest hardware the problem would go away but that ain't gonna happen.

Hopefully this comes across as positive rather than a winge but for someone who was in the business of building complex software systems for 40 years this sort of stuff really gets my goat.

Cheers

Dave (dinosaur software designer who knows how this stuff works rather than some of the unskilled code jockeys who are churning stuff out these days)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3