Has anyone used an Ultrasonic cleaner to clean track segments?

I haven't, and based on the level of responses here so far, probably no one has. But I wonder if the problem is size? All of the examples of these devices I have seen are far too small to fit any section of track in. 

What are you trying to get off the track? Grease, oil, paint?

Ultrasonic cleaning is very effective for intricate parts and I've heard of people use it to clean up white metal or brass kit parts etc.

As Kiwi mentioned, the domestic units are OK for jewellery etc. and maybe a short piece of N gauge set track but anything bigger than a OO gauge wagon you'll need an industrial size bath (and a wallet to match.)

Sounds like you might have a bath and some track; give it a go and let us know the results?

Thank you for the replies. Have been made an offer of an industrial-size ultrasonic bath, which I'm considering.

I was wondering if anyone had already tried this, and could advise how effective it is regarding removal of the ordinary crud which accumulates on track due to running sessions and tarnishing/oxidation.  Also, whether it loosens the rails from the trackbed.

Having to lift/re-lay track periodically wouldn't be a worry, as I don't have a permanent layout and frequently alter the layout to a different plan.

I  have a jewellery-sized ultrasound unit that I use for cleaning things to be soldered or painted. Used with plain water, or with a little dish-washer soap added, it is very good at removing grease and caked-on muck. It will not remove remove tarnish; I think one needs a special reducing-solution for that.

I see no reason why light, ultrasonic cleaning should loosen rails that are retained by friction fit in a plastic base, or rails that are soldered to the base. It can't undo good, soldered joints although it sometimes separates dry joints. It will remove paint and sometimes dismantles glued joints.

However, industrial ultrasound tanks are much more powerful than the domestic units. If used with aggressive chemicals they might possibly eat track parts. If the loan unit can be used with plain or soapy water in place of its normal poisons that might be safer.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mike Buckner said:

.... Have been made an offer of an industrial-size ultrasonic bath, which I'm considering...

I would counsel caution. The rails will stand up to it, and the dirt on them will be shaken loose. The potential problem is that the cavitation action will occur wherever liquid penetrates: the plastic track base in close contact with rails will be eroded by this action to some extent, no idea how fast this will happen or how many cleaning cycles will be required before any significant damage - if any - is apparent.

I'd go for a test run on an old piece of track if possible before committing to a purchase.

• Agree 1