Digitrak 6 pin not responding to cv4 changes

jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, I’m having issues with my digitrak 6 pin decoder. I’ve put it in the Hornby terrier and I can’t get cv 4 to have any effect on stopping distance. It takes a good 40 seconds for the loco to stop.

changing  cv 2 and cv 3 does have an effect, I have done a factory reset and also turned off dc mode.

can anyone suggest anything?

thanks

• RMweb Gold

to be honest i don't know what model it is (it came with another loco i bought, all i know is the manufacture code, 129). I have tried values of 0, 5, 10, 30, makes no difference to how long it takes the loco to stop.

Edited by jonnyuk

Sorry I can't help with the Digitrax as I don't use them.

BUT why spend 20 quid on a Hornby chip when you can get a 6 pin Zimo (MX617N) for the same price?

Regards,

John P

• Agree 6

I note that you have already performed a reset. Give this at least a couple more attempts. I don't pretend to know why but sometimes a reset appears to have taken, address has reverted to default '3', but still there is a problem. If the decoder is otherwise working better then it did before whatever caused me to try a reset, and there is no evidence of physical damage I persist in trying again. (Good advice from a German dealer during my early DCC experience, he couldn't explain why either! But the benefit of some decoders eventually returning to full functionality is real.)

Sorry if I'm teaching Granny how to......  When you did a reset, did you remove the loco from the programming track after for at least 20 seconds before trying to reconfigure it? Some decoders need to have all power removed before a reset will take effect. There is also the issue that some ancient Digitrax decoders don't have the cv8=8 reset functionality. 

The other thing to check is by default Digitrax decoders use 128 speed steps. If your DCC controller is fairly basic it may be sending 14 speed step commands which can lead to issues. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, jpendle said:

Sorry I can't help with the Digitrax as I don't use them.

BUT why spend 20 quid on a Hornby chip when you can get a 6 pin Zimo (MX617N) for the same price?

Regards,

John P

24 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I note that you have already performed a reset. Give this at least a couple more attempts. I don't pretend to know why but sometimes a reset appears to have taken, address has reverted to default '3', but still there is a problem. If the decoder is otherwise working better then it did before whatever caused me to try a reset, and there is no evidence of physical damage I persist in trying again. (Good advice from a German dealer during my early DCC experience, he couldn't explain why either! But the benefit of some decoders eventually returning to full functionality is real.)

from what i can gather the Zimo won't fit in a terrier. the Hornby chip is designed to fit in the terrier because the chip is wired to the pins and sits above the dcc socket.

I have tried numerous resets but i'll do a few more, i had another play last night and no joy. i'm about to give up on it

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AndrewC said:

Sorry if I'm teaching Granny how to......  When you did a reset, did you remove the loco from the programming track after for at least 20 seconds before trying to reconfigure it? Some decoders need to have all power removed before a reset will take effect. There is also the issue that some ancient Digitrax decoders don't have the cv8=8 reset functionality. 

The other thing to check is by default Digitrax decoders use 128 speed steps. If your DCC controller is fairly basic it may be sending 14 speed step commands which can lead to issues. 

i'm using a prodigy express, your thoughts on the speed steps seem logical, i assume i can change it to 28? Gives me something to try tonight anyway, i have to set i'm not waiting 20 seconds either, something else to try.

thanks

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

from what i can gather the Zimo won't fit in a terrier. the Hornby chip is designed to fit in the terrier because the chip is wired to the pins and sits above the dcc socket.

There is a MX617 variant that has the (NEM651) 6-pins on 70mm long wires. Coastal DCC have them at the same (£20) price as the standard MX617N. There is also a NEM652 8-pin wired version, also at £20.

Izzy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There is a MX617 variant that has the (NEM651) 6-pins on 70mm long wires. Coastal DCC have them at the same (£20) price as the standard MX617N. There is also a NEM652 8-pin wired version, also at £20.

Izzy

cheers Izzy, i'll take a look.