1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice, Alex.

How do you get on with gluing the Scalescenes brick paper to the plasticard?

So far, so good. The Scalescenes paper is printed on matte photo paper. On the large building it is stuck on with Clearfix. On the trolley house I used Mekpak. I think the Clearfix has the edge in leaving a little more time for adjustment.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...

The number plates have arrived for 4658 and 4588, so a bit more progress has been made.

I used Fox plates on 4588. I know the porthole windows in the cab front shouldnt be there. I knocked the Bachmann glazing out when I was weathering it, and currently can't get the cab roof off to get it back in!

1652982832_22.9.2019Launceston-Plymouthlocal.jpg.999533e30014d7bd0ed6d07bd2ada967.jpg

4658, seen here on a Launceston-Plymouth freight, uses Railtech 3d transfers. I've done a bit more weathering on it. Various shades of Tamiya grey and NATO black were gently airbrushed on the top of the tanks, before brushing with Humbrol weathering powders, mainly smoke, applied dry this time.

1737715544_22.9.19Launceston-Plymouthfreight.jpg.6b3aee97cf9d34ae3fcf0251d6414977.jpg

Alex

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 11/08/2019 at 21:45, brianusa said:

Nice old picture, Phil.  Never quite sure what that kind of track is referred to, certainly no chairs or sleepers like the later variety but can be early with the two branch points in situ.  The locals look pretty prosperous and I can relate to the kids In school caps and raincoats, looks around WW1.  I was there in the fifties although uniforms didn't change that much over the years and the station remained the same.

For that era (c.1850?), the kids in caps may well have been pupils of Tavistock Grammar School, waiting for the train to school. An extra railway connection: one of that school's most famous pupils was WH Smith, of the railway newsstands fame.

Hi Keith. It's a pretty little station isn't it?  The Princetown branch does add some interest. At the moment, I don't have the room to do the Princetown line as well, so I'm modelling it after the track was lifted. However, my plan is to build the baseboards and platforms so that the track could be relaid if the opportunity arises.

I'm planning to start work on the up platform building later in October, after I've taken Upwell Drove to the Yealmpton show.

I have a question. I've been studying the point rodding and signalling. I notice that the signal box diagram shows that at one time there was a catch point in the up line , presumably to protect the facing point in the running line at the south end of the loop. I can't see any sign of it in later years. Could the crossover giving access to the refuge siding give suitable protection?

Alex

Just found this whilst searching for something completely different. Will follow with interest, way off piste for me but then I might be planning a Portland branch model once I get my locos back from the local museum in about a years time, though my real interest is in the period much earlier when the Merchants railway was sending stone down to the docks.

As usual, stunning modelling, look forward to seeing this develop.

Martyn

• Like 1

On 29/09/2019 at 21:34, wiggoforgold said:

I notice that the signal box diagram shows that at one time there was a catch point in the up line , presumably to protect the facing point in the running line at the south end of the loop. I can't see any sign of it in later years. Could the crossover giving access to the refuge siding give suitable protection?

I don't know about anything in the Up line, but there was one in later year in the Down line - not sprung, but lying 'normally shut' and working in conjunction with the loop facing point (23) at the south end. This was a later arrangement, previously the main-line end of the points for the refuge siding lay normally for the siding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the legs on the footbridge. The kit has some moulded cast type colums. The prototype at Yeleverton sits on a frame made from angle iron - nothing like the legs in the kit so they had to go. New legs were made from  square section plastruct strip and "L" section, assembled on a a 20 thou plasticard base.

I added some detail to the panelling, did a bit of cleaning, and have put a bit of filler on the roofand at the edges of the wooden side panels. When it's dry (tomorrow) it will receive a coat of grey primer which will highlight any blemishes, and once those have been dealt with, a bit more primer and painting can begin.

DSCF1940.jpg.06a934667c61aa2e438d1c48a3cfb667.jpgDSCF1941.jpg.00344fbc3d572210aa6e8bd328630c88.jpgDSCF1942.jpg.6f0510f242389d826dd9b6d9bd76ecc7.jpg

Alex

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

The up platform building at Yelverton is both unique and recognizably Great Western.  The wooden pentagonal building, juxtaposed with the foot bridge and the lattice girder accommodation bridge crossing the station, could not be anywhere other than Yelverton. At the same time, the design is recognizably Great Western, similar to many other buildings on the system.  Although quite small, it has a grandeur that belies its size. Not bad for what, in station terms, was a bit of an afterthought.

The building has been modelled before, perhaps the best known being the model which forms the station building at Pen Tor Road on the Dartmoor  scene at Pendon museum.

The building didn’t appear to have been repainted since  GWR days; it was still in GWR light and dark stone in 1959, by which time the paintwork was heavily weathered, particularly the southern end which was exposed to the prevailing winds from the English channel.

I couldn’t find a drawing – I hoped Pendon might have one, but that drew a blank. I found lots of pictures on the web, in particular a colour set taken in 1959 by George Illife Stokes for construction of the Pendon model. The can be found on Malcolm Mitchells “A”shop Facebook page. I asked a lot of questions, and the kindness of RM Web members allowed me to produce a dimensioned ground plan. (Special thanks should go to Harlequin/Phil who kindly  measured the plan of the building from the OS map.)This is his plan:

yelpent3.png.4c9b8922f4ca7891bf1c896fc994ad7e.png.5bcd3e7772afec0c740512e2a357835d.png

A lot of the photos of the station show the Southern and South Eastern walls, so the Iliffe Stokes shots are particularly useful as they address some different views. The other particularly useful picture was this view of the building originally posted by Miss Prism, which I’ve repeated here:

yelverton-station-small.jpg.688a2e2e4b2859d85f6890fce2a3dc0f.jpg.fe14751a442cb9a968d104467437f048.jpg

Armed with the measurements of the ground plan, the photograph, a sheet of 2mm planked plasticard, the notes I had made for the Down building and Excel, I was able to transfer the dimensions of the building to the plasticard in 4mm scale. The measurements provided by Harlequin enabled me to produce a ground plan in 4mm scale.  The photograph gives a square view of the SE wall, so I was able to measure the various verticals on the photograph, and using Excel, found the ratio of these to the length of the side, which was then applied to the length of the side in 4mm. This enabled me to work out the positions of the verticals, and also the heights and angles of the roof and chimney. These dimensions were then transferred to a sheet of 2mm planked plasticard, and adjusted accordingly to match the planks.

I don’t feel particularly constrained by the lack of a drawing. My eyesight is less than perfect, so things like planked plasticard are helpful in setting things out.  It is alson helpful for keeping everything square and evenly spaced.

For the construction of the station, I’m using the following materials:

·        Sides

Slaters 2mm planked plasticard; Framing – Plastruct strip – verticals 0.8x2.00mm ref 90734; horizontals 0.8 x 1.5mm ref 90733; Cap strips – 0.4mm Plastruct  rod ref 90849; Plinth - Slaters embossed brick sheet – Flemish bond

·        Inner sides

20 thou plasticard

·        Floors, interior walls, floor , ceiling and roof supports

40 thou plasticard.

·        Windows

Frames - 10 thou plasticard; Glazing bars – 0.4mm plastruct rod; Glazing 18mm square microscope slide cover slips (glass)

·        Roof

Wills slate sheet

·        Canopy

Slaters GWR valancing; 40 thou pasticard; Slaters 2mm planked plasticard.

The basic construction methods are as described for my model of the Down platform building earlier in this tread. Construction commenced with marking out the dimensions of the sides on 2mm planked plasticard sheet.

Construction has commenced with walls  B-C (the southern end), and C-E, (the SE toilet wall). Allied with the floor plan, I should be able to extrapolate the dimensions of the other two walls from these two

Wall B-C

DSCF1950.jpg.513c7894eb221b14d15c476824627d45.jpg

Wall C-E

DSCF1951.jpg.5f0ed6eb2fec92c95bad8b2d1b6083fc.jpg

Both Together:

DSCF1953.jpg.c52b7336dc3b466e5d32bed909225017.jpg

Next jobs are to finish the inner walls on these two sides, then I will start work on the Up Platform wall - A-B

Alex

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed the side panels for the "Up" building and these have been assembled on a base of 40 thou plasticard. Next steps are to fit a floor from 40 thou plasticard, and interior walls/bracing from the same material. After that, work is going to pause until mid December, while I get "Upwell Drove" ready for the Manchester show.

DSCF1955.jpg.b411f4fa0f3e2a7815aab75265364b56.jpgDSCF1957.jpg.82d32b1f96da1971a8e4aa46182c25fa.jpgDSCF1958.jpg.2020d32841fb1d7e0f71d40a5bef9b63.jpg

In the course of my research into Yelverton,station, I  found this video on You Tube. Entitled "A Brief Journey" it documents a sailors run ashore in 1954, with some interesting scenes in Plymouth, Yelverton and the surrounding countryside. I love the description of Yelverton in the film as a "toy junction"

DSCF1960.jpg

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

"A Brief Journey" it documents a sailors run ashore in 1954, with some interesting scenes in Plymouth, Yelverton and the surrounding counryside.

I've often wondered where he is off to, getting off the train in the middle of nowhere.  Looks as though he might be heading towards Merrivale or some lonely farmhouse.  Bit of a trot anyway!

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

4 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

In the course of my research into Yelverton,station, I  found this video on You Tube. Entitled "A Brief Journey" it documents a sailors run ashore in 1954, with some interesting scenes in Plymouth, Yelverton and the surrounding counryside. I love the description of Yelverton in the film as a "toy junction"

Lovely! The jolly jacks were from HMS Carisbrooke Castle (K379), a Royal Navy Castle-class corvette.

I'm looking forward to HMS Troutbridge's crew doing a run ashore.