• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AdeMoore said:

Interesting  Tim how do you hold the L against the underside of the track while you solder? 

Cheers

Upward pressure from underneath!

The wire (normal multi-strand layout wire) is tinned first, to give it a bit of rigidity.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Upward pressure from underneath!

The wire (normal multi-strand layout wire) is tinned first, to give it a bit of rigidity.

Umm I’ll see, think I might need longer arms!

Cheers 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Somehow I've not stumbled across your thread before but I'm seriously impressed, especially with your structures. The unusually shaped station building has always intrigued me and you've got it just right. By the way; I'm intrigued by one picture you included back in January. It showed your buildings with an open book behind. It had a couple of views of the branch. Which book is it please?

Bob 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 4109 said:

Somehow I've not stumbled across your thread before but I'm seriously impressed, especially with your structures. The unusually shaped station building has always intrigued me and you've got it just right. By the way; I'm intrigued by one picture you included back in January. It showed your buildings with an open book behind. It had a couple of views of the branch. Which book is it please?

Can't believe I've not seen this one either, I even lived in Yelverton for a while (a long time after the railway had gone though).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 4109 said:

Bob 

Bob, the book is "Backtracking around - Plymouth  Tavistock South and Launceston" by Bernard Mills. The picture it's open at is a view of the station by RC Riley - I'm trying to achieve a similar view point with the model.

Alex

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Proscenium nearly finished. I need to trim the centre support a bit more

20200413_204704-01.jpeg.d153a6f29e5bed160e89ff0a63f47696.jpeg

Hi Alex.  It's all coming along nice. You've got yourself another avid follower.

I look forward to seeing future updates.

Nick

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Your ballasting looks really good as does the rest of the layout. What ballast do you use?

It's Woodland Scenics light grey fine ballast, mixed with a little Woodland Scenics fine  brown ballast.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

And finally, for Ade, here is one of the droppers after ballasting

20200413_204910-01.jpeg.bb95d6914c3efcaa273ecf65b45e8ede.jpeg

Cheers Alex for the photo, indeed very  unobtrusive well done with that, I’ve been ballasting to with little success! The dry lay and shape and drop 50/50 and a spot of washing up liquid on after appears the best of 3 methods! Which do you use looks good.

• Thanks 1

I found the DCC concepts articles on the subject  very helpful. Ballast is Woodland Scenics fine granite laid dry. I put a little bit on at a time and spread it with a finger. Once down dry I soak it with a mixture of water and methyl ated spirit applied using a small syringe. I then apply WW scenics ballast glue, which is pva diluted to the appropriate consistency and allow to dry. Any remaining shiny bits can be dulled down with a coat of Matt varnish. Once all the ballast is down I may weather some areas using a mixture of powders and washes.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2020 at 20:24, wiggoforgold said:

Today I received some A3 sheets which make up into a photographic back scene for Yelverton. I took the picture last summer

20200409_194832-01.jpeg

Hi Alex, that's an impressive set of photos and the backscene will certainl add lots of atmosphere and 'set the scene'.

Out of interest, have you considered having the photos stitched together and printed off by a professional printer on one continuous roll?

When I had the backscene for Bethesda Sidings printed, the printer said that the maximum length he could print would be circa 100 metres (yes, I'm sure he said that, as I mentioned his abilities to the Balcombe team) on a kind of smooth vinyl roll, which is waterproof when printed.

The printer is ColourBridge in Ivybridge, if you were interested and I think he's still operating 'behind closed doors' via post and e-mail at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Out of interest, have you considered having the photos stitched together and printed off by a professional printer on one continuous roll?

I did Tim. The reason I didn't get it done was cost - the A3 sheets were free.  I'll investigate the Ivybridge printer though.

I took the original picture as a continuous panorama. It's Great Mis Tor and Cox Tor from the road between Tavistock and Rundlestpne.  Not quite Yelverton, but not too far!

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For what it's worth, Alex, my 7' x 12" backscene for Bethesda cost about £45 and because his photographic roll is 2' wide, he kindly put both versions of the backscene that Andy Y kindly prepared for me (sunny day and cloudy day) above one another, so I got two backscenes for the price of one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

WADR. Surely in the fifties the close proximity of trees and shrubbery would be more appropriate than moorland scenery.  IIRC, a large house sits hidden in the dense woodland that was prominent even in earlier times on whose land the station area still sits.  Since the closure of the Princetown line it has encroached even further on the station and no doubt will engulf the whole station even more so than it does today.

Brian.:(

• Agree 1

Don't worry Brian. The front part of the back drop will be lots of trees, with the tops of the tors visible behind. I'm thinking about having the tors on a separate back drop, slightly behind the trees. The plan is to have 3 dimensional trees first, with a photographic back drop of trees behind that, and the tops of the tors visible behind the trees. Particularly at the northern end, there are lots of trees.

The station site is completely overgrown. Try googling "Yelverton Station" and have a look of some of the recent pics. In some of them, its pretty hard to work out which way you are looking.

Alex

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2019 at 21:24, wiggoforgold said:

I've done the legs on the footbridge. The kit has some moulded cast type colums. The prototype at Yeleverton sits on a frame made from angle iron - nothing like the legs in the kit so they had to go. New legs were made from  square section plastruct strip and "L" section, assembled on a a 20 thou plasticard base.

DSCF1940.jpg.06a934667c61aa2e438d1c48a3cfb667.jpg

Alex

What a fantastic layout this is proving to be, can’t believe I haven’t seen it so far!  Really like what you’ve done with the footbridge, I need to revisit the legs on mine for Brent (the rest built in a similar approach) as the much finer legs just look so much better.

Love the use of colour both on the stock and the buildings 

most of my school friends lived in the Yelverton / Crapstone / Walkhampton area (while I was in Lamerton the other side of Tavy).  The area surrounding the station was a favoured place in the early 2000s to go for a few drinks (until we could get away with being served in the back bar of the Rock Inn).  It’s somewhere I’ve wanted a model of for sometime, but been put off due to the massive width needed to do the Princeton branch justice. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

The pictures reveal 4658 needs some glazing. 4574 needs a change of identity as further research suggests it was unlined when working on the branch. It also currently retains tension locks following a visit to Bleat Wharf in January. :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely to see things coming together, Alex. 

If you're anything like me you'll be glad to see an end to the ballasting.

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Lovely to see things coming together, Alex. 

If you're anything like me you'll be glad to see an end to the ballasting.

Rob.

I've got about four inches and some tidying up to do :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1