• 2 weeks later...

Entirely (well almost) unrelated to ththis topic but I have an interest in the signalling arrangements for this station. At the moment I am struggling to find any photos of the Down Branch Home/up main inner home bracket signal and the up branch main advance starter/shunt or  a decent photo of the up branch starter. At the moment I am assuming that the up branch main advance starter/shunt was the same design as the down main starter and shunt (photo in The Great Western in South Devon book).

I have searched in the usual places (Internet, Vaughan etc) and some not so usual but has anybody got anything photographic on these? I have enough info on all the others. Period 1950s with working branch to Princetown.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Stephen

I had a look to see if I had anything to answer your question but sadly not. The best set of photos I have is about 1959 after the Princetown line was lifted. Might I be cheeky though and ask from your knowledge whether my belief that in the 1950's the Up starter was a GWR wooden post with a metal arm is correct?

Alex

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Hi Stephen

I had a look to see if I had anything to answer your question but sadly not. The best set of photos I have is about 1959 after the Princetown line was lifted. Might I be cheeky though and ask from your knowledge whether my belief that in the 1950's the Up starter was a GWR wooden post with a metal arm is correct?

Alex

Hi,

If you mean the main up starter, there is a photo in "The Great Western in South Devon", which shows it to a tubular post signal. On the other hand if you mean the up Branch starter, I am not so sure. The only photo with a clear view of it I have seen is an early one. It could even be of the same design as the Down Branch Starter, which was a concrete post job. IO shall keep looking.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ikb1954 said:

Stephen,

Not sure exactly which signals you are looking for, do these pictures help? Not the best quality but often something is better than nothing.

Screenshot (1263) copy.jpg

YEL080A-12.jpg

Yelverton_8color.jpg

Sorry I have seen these photos before but thanks anyway. Now, in the last one if only the photographer had turned round, he might have seen the up branch starter. Those in the photos are down branch starter and branch home.

Great photo, looks like the last train or similar.  Note the quality of the right of way even the trap siding on the left, at this late date!  I had a chance to be on that trip, but turned it down; just as well considering as how it turned out.  Looks cold here with everyone dressed up warmly but no snow yet if it is indeed the last run.

Brian.

• Like 2

Brian,

Yes it is the last trip on the Princetown branch March 5th 1956 not the last trip on the main Plymouth to Tavistock branch which was December 31st 1962 and was indeed very snowy !

Bill.

• Like 3

Wiring is now well under way. I'm hoping to get through running in the next couple of weeks or so.

Wiring is DC. My layouts don't need DCC, and i enjoy analogue wiring and getting everything to0 work, so some of that pleasure would be lost if I went DC.  The attraction it has is onboard sound, but that will have to wait for now.

Wiring is pretty similar on all my layouts. I use Gaugemaster controllers and transformers, various colours of wire , Expo miniature switches and lots of cable ties and connector strips. I worked out the colour coding of the wiring  when I wired up Diddington years ago, and all my subsequent layouts have been wired the same way, so I'm on familiar territory. Here are some pictures of the installation on Yelverton.

DSCF2253.jpg.0f9dfaa857c4c642c91a8039ef314bb7.jpg

To left is the Din socket where the controller plugs in. The yellow and black wires are the power supply from the transformer, the red and blue are the feeds to the layout.. In the centre is a 15 pin D-sub breakout board which I discovered at Railway Scenics (usual disclaimer) the other day. An extremely useful bit of kit, which save a load of fiddly soldering.. The feeds to the track sections can be seen leaving the breakout board on the right. The feeds for the point motors will be installed on the left. There will be a separate breakout board for the feeds to the signals.  The box at the top right houses the transformer. Mains supply is a 3pin mains lead that plugs in to the end of the box.

DSCF2257.jpg.6822b7ee517252568a29298f2ae39d5a.jpg

A closer look at the breakout board, showing the use of connector strips and cable ties to keep everything tidy. The idea is to be able to easily pick up the layout sections without the risk of any of the wiring snagging on something or being damaged in transit.

DSCF2260.jpg.921d2b2d57fa9d1d7b4b12b1dfabc3f1.jpg

The control panel and handheld controller. The controller plugs in to the Din socket referred to in the first photo. The top row of switches on the control panel is for the section feeds. The lower row is arranged like the levers in the signal box, and controls the points and signals. There is a degree of electrical interlocking between the switches. Feed to the layout is via the multi core cable which can be seen exiting the panel on the bottom right. It plugs in the the breakout board with a D-sub connector.

DSCF2262.jpg.3af0067f3464fe4250f9965e31afca54.jpg

Finally, a close up of the control panel. The background for the switches was done in Excel on the PC.

That's all for now. Next jobs are to install the point motors and complete the cassette deck and sector plate boards.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 14

The casette deck which forms the southern fiddle yard is now virtually complete. The cassettes have bases of 9mm ply. The running "rails " are from aluminium angle. The angle I used is 12mm x 12mm, but the exact dimensions are not critical. The width of the base is set by 16.5mm gauge + two widths of angle.

DSCF2267.jpg.38d49318af9b20204f6c4609a897e7fa.jpg

There are two locations for the cassettes. The picture shows the rear one, which will receive trains returning to the fiddle yard from the sector plate at the rear of the layout, via the hidden return track.

DSCF2266.jpg.38977b445cd04a1e14d6c0ead3d6552a.jpg

The cassette is located by pushing it against the joining track. The joining track is built to the same dimensions as the cassette. On the left can be seen a strip of 6mm ply at the back of the joining track. The cassette is pushed back against this as part of the alignment process. The aluminium angles on the joining track are slightly shorter than the base, and the angle on the cassette is slighlty longer than the base by the same amount, so when the two are pushed together the "rails" are at the same height. The microswitch on the right serves two purposes. First, the gentle pressure of the switch ensures the casette and joining track are properly aligned. Second, pushing the cassette into place operates the swich, which allows power to the cassette. Thus there is no power to the cassette until it is pushed into place.

DSCF2269.jpg.8fd59c9e50f046d519a754e2d7bad2be.jpg

This picture shows the cassette pushed in to place against the joining track.

DSCF2270.jpg.bebe2a56cb328f6f957507f49a187090.jpg

The refuge siding is on a higher level. A removable section is being built which plugs into the the cassette deck by means of dowels.

DSCF2268.jpg.9c1626b9d1c87cb5073b2bd805220e67.jpg

Power supply to the board is by means of DIN sockets and plugs. The power feeds to the cassettes are simply clipped to the end of the aluminium angle with crocodile clips (I can't show a picture of this as I haven't fitted them yet. They only arrived this afternoon and the unopened package is currently downstairs undergoing disinfection procedure before it is allowed in the house!)

Tomorrow work starts on finishing the sector plate board.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The sector plate is now complete, so through running can commence when I've finished the power feeds between the boards, which should be done this weekend. Stock has been propelled along the layout by hand  (and gravity doewn the 1 in 60 to Plymouth) to check everything lines up.

DSCF2278.jpg.fc99e7c56a5d0ab78272bc3817d62f82.jpg

DSCF2277.jpg.010a73beef57fd954e252002fa39239e.jpg

Alex

DSCF2278.jpg

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...