• 3 weeks later...

I'm proposing to slightly rework the landform behind the signal box and loading ramp on the down side of the station and immediately south of there. Further study shows a loading bank beside the spur at the end of the refuge siding and in the 1950's a shed for a Wickham trolley appeared. Does anyone have any more information on these? In particular, how was access to the trolley shed gained? Presumably there was a path or road behind the loading bank, but what did it look like? I beleive that the remains of the Yelverton shed were measured, and a replica is at Christow on the Teignmouth Valley, but that is a 3 road shed - surely too big for Yelverton?

Further production of undergrowth is on hold for a few days while I wait for an electrician to come and fix the workshop light. I'm on holiday next week so hopefully will have some daylight to work in then.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 4

Alex,

The 1st picture below shows the access path/road passing behind the signal box and leading upto the loading bank. The second pictures shows the same path and gate after everything had been demolished. You may be interested to know the gate is still there today.

Regards Bill

2593713_orig.jpg

16718525470_ef1c456596_k.jpg

• Like 10

Alex

On further reflection and checking my photo archive I have found a couple of other pictures which may be of interest.

Look at the photo with all the passengers on the platform and look at the track of the refuge siding, there is clearly some wooden planking and what appears to be tracks leading into a shed, presumably for the wickham trolley. This picture dates from March 1956, in fact the final day of service on the Princetown branch hence all the people. The second photo was taken sometime in the early 1960's, probably 1962. This shows the wooden planking and tracks have been repositioned much nearer to the signal box and in fact the tracks run over the pointwork for the refuge siding rendering it unuseable.

My guess is that when the signal box was taken out of use in 1957 and the signals were removed and the points locked they had to move the access point for the Wickham trolley so that it could be put straight onto the main line rather than onto the refuge siding. It also looks like enough tracks for more than the 1 trolley.

Sorry I haven't managed to find a clear shot that shows the shed.

Hope this helps.  Bill

Yelverton Refuge Siding Pointwork.jpg

yelverton signal box adjusted.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill. I'd seen 3 of the pictures before, but not the second one looking behind the signal box towards the gate. The colour one of the platforms after the buildings had gone I found really useful for getting a feel for the landform. I found myself looking at the one of all the people at the closure of the Princetown branch with fresh eyes. What you say about the shed being repositioned makes sense. I wonder if the shed was enlarged at the same time? Can't see any reason for it. There are certainly wooden rails laid over the tracks in later years. It appears the Yelverton shed was still there as late as 2012. I don't know whether it still is. It was measured up by the Teign Valley people for their replica.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Alex. 

This is indeed looking super. 

Lovely to see things progressing. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

A few pictures of the latest progress

1301552822_Upplatform.jpg.cc8e55c4e8f009d2861203fa3c81d204.jpg

Having made the platforms, I felt they were a bit high, so I  removed the tops and lowered the sides before putting everything back together. This is the down platform, the sides of which are stone. The Up platform is brick.

987011556_Loadingbank.jpg.805510ea985cece2e9c5fdbe1534f337.jpg

After construction commenced, I came across some pictures indicating that the loading bank at the south end of the station was a bit more extensive that I originally though. An enquiry on this thread elicited some more pictures, and I have rebuilt this area.

461141813_Privateroad2.jpg.d250dd8f2062e3de1162b4826da76d9e.jpg

At the rear of the station a private road runs behind the railway. Chinchilla grit, grout, minced leaves from the garden and Treemendus earth powder have brought me this far.

Alex

Absolutely love the look of the dirt / leafs on the bank.   I think I need to invest in some of that earth powder!   Would be interested to hear how well the minced leaves hold up over time, as I’d have been worried about them degrading.   The effect looks perfect  

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Great stuff, Alex. 

Such a lovely look to this........such a shame we won't be at Edington next month. 

2022 perchance? 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

It's booked in Rob, so if you are up for it...

Good news and yes I am. I'll pack my toothbrush. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

I really like that road, so well observed. I put me in mind of this quick photo that I took of a metalled road to record the details for modelling purposes. Your model has captured nature and is something for the rest of us who like realism to aim for.

IMG_20201025_140450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

At the rear of the station a private road runs behind the railway. Chinchilla grit, grout, minced leaves from the garden and Treemendus earth powder have brought me this far.

Alex

That lane is rather lovely.

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just seen the  photo below, that's superb!

Edit: OK, one or two others may have mentioned it already :D. But still!

Have a good christmas.

On 07/12/2020 at 08:30, wiggoforgold said:

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alex  Merry Christmas to you too.

I was following your progress before we met at Edington earlier in the year, well January so nearly a year ago now, little did we know then what the year ahead held in store for us!

Looking good making excellent progress.

Cheers

Ade

• Thanks 1

I've been doing a bit of stock building. This is the first two coach set for the Plymouth-Launceston services.DSCF2374.jpg.0f9ba5503cf6a9a180d05e15b544f36d.jpg

DSCF2375.jpg.161de2b1e7e4c392df4403d1beffbaa7.jpg

The pair of coaches are semi-permanently coupled together. They await couplings on the outer ends.

DSCF2377.jpg.8e0550d4f84e15d830edf3b027f71fc1.jpg

46444 built the BY for Diddington a few years ago. I gave it a bit more weathering, and  It's found a new role on Yelverton.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 14