1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Great stuff, is that a trace of moss at the lowest end of the timber? It's also got me thinking about ash surfacing on platforms, because that is where I am at with my own model, having just put a coat of primer on the plasticard surface.

I meant to add: the ash surface of the platform is a mix of 3 parts chinchilla grit to one part grout. Sprinkled on to wet pva, then soaked with a "wet water" mix, and a mix of dilute pva applied with a dropper. For a finer mix, I have used sieved soil from the garden, mixed with grout. When dry, the surface is lightly sanded, and gone over with a stiff brush (I  use an old stippling brush.) The surface can be tinted with weathering powders.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for something different to the string of 44/45xx on the branch, @brianusa has posted a memory seeing a Castle at Shaugh Bridge heading towards Yelverton, and then reversing back later in the day.

I had heard mention of a Castle reaching Yelverton from a few sources, but this is the first time I’ve seen a first hand account.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks for the information on the ash platforms Alex, I was going to conduct a few experiments to see what works. What I will do now is a test piece using your technique (because there's bound to be a way I can **** it up!) Then attack the platform surface that is now heftily primed. Time to post an update.

Rob.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Lovely atmospheric photos Alex. 

The door ajar is a nice touch and brings life to the picture. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

It was the gents. Forget the romance of steam, one suspects they may have been somewhat insalubrious!

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

Lust needs steps

Alex

Comes to us all..........

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 46444 said:

Not to be confused with Lustleigh Cleave... 

:D

Near to the local hill top beauty spot, Cleave Edge. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 10:08, wiggoforgold said:

The row of huts behind the signal box lead to the end loading dock. The slightly wonky buffer beam is one of those happy accidents. It slipped while the glue was drying, then I realised the real one wasn't straight either.334458654_Hutsandendloading.jpg.ac8550034ac92d1d416f42a277f35c7e.jpg

Alex

This collection of huts is just splendid but don't overlook the over grown surface of the loading dock. Top stuff. 

Rob

• Agree 3

Thanks Rob. No more grass planned. I need to finish the hedgerow at the back, and there's a bit of rusty iron fence for the end of the loading platform, but I won't put that in place until I've finished the work at the back.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Top of the morning to you all :)

DSCF2504.jpg.d8c243dcec620d84c0804d181b1678cd.jpg

Morning Alex, 

Lovely shots. 

That Plaxton Beaver looks suitably at home on the bridge. 

Remember these on the Western National country routes and scurrying around Plymouth. 

I spent a placement in Devonport and Stoke using them in the 1990's to get around on. 

Your take on Yelverton is looking superb Alex. 

Happy Easter. 

Mark 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Morning Alex, 

Lovely shots. 

That Plaxton Beaver looks suitably at home on the bridge. 

Remember these on the Western National country routes and scurrying around Plymouth. 

I spent a placement in Devonport and Stoke using them in the 1990's to get around on. 

Your take on Yelverton is looking superb Alex. 

Happy Easter. 

Mark 

You probably used this one then. The destination blind says Ford and Keyham.

Alex

• Agree 1