• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

You probably used this one then. The destination blind says Ford and Keyham.

Alex

I think you could be right there Alex.. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/03/2021 at 12:42, wiggoforgold said:

Thanks Rob. No more grass planned. I need to finish the hedgerow at the back, and there's a bit of rusty iron fence for the end of the loading platform, but I won't put that in place until I've finished the work at the back.

Alex

As most layouts are fixed to a wall and as obvious as this seems, I'm finding that the order of placing/building a layout is very important. A strict plan for what to work on first is really important. It's so easy to ruin something you've finished, whilst reaching over the top of it. Maybe we're not all as clumsy as me though.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Gedward said:

As most layouts are fixed to a wall and as obvious as this seems, I'm finding that the order of placing/building a layout is very important. A strict plan for what to work on first is really important. It's so easy to ruin something you've finished, whilst reaching over the top of it. Maybe we're not all as clumsy as me though.

Some of us are! A Winter's day, unheated railway barn, while reaching across layout necessarily thick jacket catches sleeve on loco which descends to the floor, breaking off cast buffer beam, or half of. It will never be the same again. 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gedward said:

I made this mistake the other week, it was near to the end of an evening modelling and  I was looking for small jobs to do. So addd a cross joist across the corner of the layout and extended a hill.  Then remembered I hadn’t done the bank on the other side of the layout and now had an extra foot or so to reach

• Friendly/supportive 7

My basic approach is to start at the back and work forward.  I'm lucky with Yelverton as it is designed to be portable. Part of the back drop comes off, ant the boards can be separated, so I can get at it from several angles. Plus, because it is in sections I can put two sections at a time in the table in the workshop to work on.

Alex

• Like 2

I look forward to see how Yelverton progresses each time.  I'm not sure that bridge was suitable for vehicular traffic as I always understood it was just for pedestrian access.  But that was ages ago!

I believe the last visitors were from the CRS who had special permission to visit the remains of the station.

Brian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Wonderfully well observed and recreated slice of nature. I'm looking forward to getting to this stage with my own model. 

Still cursing wires here!

Thanks. That's  most kind. However,  my wife looked at the bluebells this morning and commented that they were too pale. I went up the garden and inspected a clump. A photograph was taken for reference  and recolouring operations should start this week.

All this is displacement activity to put off reworking the Iights.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Rododendron, blue bells, brambles and a bit of fence to finish off the loading bay

DSCF2513.jpg.23c4d2780178b500e6443382a318ab85.jpg

DSCF2514.jpg.525a011dddbc86d2d7a3daecdcb4db7f.jpg

Alex

Top stuff Alex. 

That would appear to set the time of year for the layout then. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Top notch modelling Alex. A lovely scene captured perfectly. 

I used some Woodland Scenics blue flock on Wadenhoe Road for Bluebells. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Top notch modelling Alex. A lovely scene captured perfectly. 

I used some Woodland Scenics blue flock on Wadenhoe Road for Bluebells. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

I shall have a look for some. I couldn't find any blue earlier!

Alex

• Like 1

Well, I've put the boards up again. They come up and down quite regularly, which is good, as I'm getting the hang of how it all goes together. I took some pictures of the assembly process, I plan to describe arrangements for the lights and backscene, so it may be helpful to show the basic structure as it is all built off that,

The scenic section is supported by a pair of plywood "L" girders, which fit on a pair of trestles. A bracket is bolted to the centre of the rear "L" girder. It has several functions: It reinforces the folding joint in the middle of the "L" girder; It provides a location for the centre scenic board: It carries the wiring for the lights over the layout; It supports the rear girder, which carries the lights and from which the sky backdrop is suspended: It supports the centre of the proscenium arch.

DSCF2518.jpg.9a08556283d2a7ddbd6491769057d931.jpg

A bracket is bolted to each end of the "L" girder to support the outer ends of the rear lighting beam

DSCF2521.jpg.bef6751b42e43c543adc4ed4809a2a65.jpg

There is a dowel in the centre bracket, which locates in a hole in the centre of the rear of the centre scenic board. Above that is an 8mmbolt, which holds the scenic board to the bracket. The locates the centre board firmly in place, and the outer scenic boards are attached to that. All tree scenic boards are about 3' long, and constructed from ply, so are very light and easily moved.

DSCF2523.jpg.0211747fdebb8352c2a252db2e5881fe.jpg

As explained above, these support the backscene and lighting arrangements, and I'll post more pictures of these shortly.

Alex

• Like 10

This looks really good plenty of space and well modeld like that loading bay and the Cervello looks rather nice ,are you going for disc brakes ? I am glad we had Mafac in my day although I ended up with some really good Italian side pull ones .Keep up the modeling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, exmoordave said:

So much I like on here Alex - even down to the rusty railings on the end of the dock. Can I ask how you managed that effect?

Thank you Dave. The railings were made from Plastruct angle and rod. One leg was left longer than the others for painting.  It was sprayed with various Mig rust shades, including medium rust and dark rust, followed by a wash of Mig matt black, heavily thinned with acrylic thinner. It was then given a spray of acrylic matt varnish, and weathering powders, mainly earth and red oxide, applied.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 hours ago, lmsforever said:

This looks really good plenty of space and well modeld like that loading bay and the Cervello looks rather nice ,are you going for disc brakes ? I am glad we had Mafac in my day although I ended up with some really good Italian side pull ones .Keep up the modeling.

I'd go for discs if I bought another.  When I got it there wasn't a disc option. Now I think the frame is disc only.

Alex

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind that Cervello cluttering up my garage either. I'm still running around on a circa 1978 Peugeot Clubman with a 23" frame. It's the proverbial woodsman's axe though. Deore deralliuers, running off the old frame mounted levers, double wall alloy rims, ovoid crank, cartridge bottom bracket, wider bars and 4" headstem, but still the old Weinmann brakes that are more than capable of locking up if you're not careful.

I think that the disc option is a matter of personal taste, as a number of people I know who are involved in competitive cycling think that a front disc is too much for a lightweight race bike, having been launched over the handlebars by too heavy an application.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Like my earlier layouts, Diddington and Upwell Drove, Yelverton is conceived as a whole, framed by wings and a proscenium, with a full height backscene and self contained lighting. Lighting of the layout is by means of flexible LED strips, one at the front and one at the back of the layout.  I'm using warm white LEDS:  I tried ice white as it gave more light, but the result was too harsh.

There are two drivers for the lights, one for the back and one for the front, fitted under the centre board.

DSCF2508.jpg.16924bcb2bafe66897eb6aecfea1fbdc.jpg

The wires for the lights run up the centre support

DSCF2511.jpg.3961d44c85dcbc94f6cdf632df69edd2.jpg

At the top of the centre support is a socket for the leads to the LED strips

DSCF2510.jpg.986e795841cb314cfd81e20adb4f92e0.jpg

The LED strips are fitted on the underside of the centre beam. The beam is ply, about 9' long, and folds in the middle for transportation. When folded out, it is bolted in place on top of the centre and end supports.

DSCF2512.jpg.729f10c5a35d3670499eb22c19dd796f.jpg

Alex

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5