7 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Thought you might be interested in this. It is a 7mm scale model of a turntable that I have just completed, that will be going to Devon in the near future. I am just doing the track and signals, well they will be on their way soon too.

7mm model of Yelverton in Devon? With the Princetown branch too. Sounds fascinating, and must be fairly local to me.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 2

14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I particularly like the first view of the pagoda hut, very evocative.

Please remind me, which paints did you use for the light and dark stone?

Thank. I'm rather pleased with how the pagoda has come out. Light stone is Mig "New wood" Dark stone is mixed from Mig "Medium rust" and "Ochre earth".

Alex

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Alex, theres one of these small TTs up there in Princetown, surely you're not going to model the whole branch :unsure:?  Then it must be to tack on your lovely Yelverton module ;)!  Exciting times!

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Alex, theres one of these small TTs up there in Princetown, surely you're not going to model the whole branch :unsure:?  Then it must be to tack on your lovely Yelverton module ;)!  Exciting times!

Brian.

The more I learn about the branch, the more ideas I have. I' ve got a few ideas for models of parts of the branch. No plans to do Princetown yet, but if someone were to do an rtr 44xx.... :)

Alex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've done some more work on the layout lighting this weekend. After an experiment with ice white LEDs (which I thought might be brighter), I decided I preferred the effect of warm white and changed to that.

The LED strips for the front lights are fitted in diffusers on the underside of the proscenium arch. The grey bar in the centre of the picture is the "L" shaped support for the proscenium which I described in an earlier post.

DSCF2572.jpg.7ccc99cc2f5e32c5f62f21fc5337befe.jpg

This is the other end of the "L" shaped support, projecting through the back drop. The rear lighting beam can be seen in the picture, as well as the leads and plugs for the lights which run on top of the support.

DSCF2575.jpg.b4b7e0e0bbc3e556c470e8bfaa6d2ff9.jpg

Alex

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

It's interesting to see how you have tackled the problem of lighting and framing the layout. I have a 12'0" scenic section that I need to light without overpowering the room. (I have to be nice and share the room!)

How long is the lit section for Yelverton?

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's interesting to see how you have tackled the problem of lighting and framing the layout. I have a 12'0" scenic section that I need to light without overpowering the room. (I have to be nice and share the room!)

How long is the lit section for Yelverton?

About 9', but the LED strips are 1metre long (please forgive mixed measurements). There are 2m of lights front and back. I buy the LEDS in 5 metre rolls.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

About 9', but the LED strips are 1metre long (please forgive mixed measurements). There are 2m of lights front and back. I buy the LEDS in 5 metre rolls.

Thanks, that makes sense of the photos in relation to my layout. No need to apologize for mixed measurements. Officially, I was educated metric, but ever since my first bicycle, I've been working in imperial. The warm white light is more in line with the seasonal colour of the layout.  The ice white would probably be better for a bleak winter setting. Pure white striplights are perfect for respraying cars but rather harsh for anything else.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2021 at 22:21, wiggoforgold said:

but if someone were to do an rtr 44xx.... :)

GWRRob has one for sale, built from a K's body kit and a Perseverance chassis (as two separate items).

Edited by Regularity
Links added
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Hmm...don't suppose he'd mind if I painted it black :)

Not at all, I want it to go to a good home and made use of.;)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 09:43, wiggoforgold said:

Developing a sense of placeDSCF2563.jpg.fd5528f0be729e625bb5b6f1d2d60510.jpg

Late running freight sets back into the refuge at Yelverton to allow passage of the Plymouth - Launceston passenger service

DSCF2568.jpg.0a8051f8b4d859f74531558874dee405.jpg

Plymouth -  Launceston passenger. In the foreground is the track bed of the old branch to Princetown.

DSCF2564.jpg.998a1ca2855a0b90b1f6c477adf90c83.jpg

Another view of the Plymouth-Launceston passenger entering the station.

DSCF2560.jpg.fa31e0e17899afdde51584f913671fa3.jpg

This morning I've mostly been redoing the lights in the proscenium. More later.

Alex

Snap! Have also been repositioning the lighting. My main concern is avoiding back scene shadows. I'm also using LED strip lighting. They come in a pack of six, about 30 cm long. Have experimented with attaching them pointing forward, back and now at 45 degrees, which seems more natural to my eyes. 

Recently, I purchased a second set which I attached at the back of the proscenium arch. Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. So I guess I'll just have to live with the shadows, just like Cliff.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos

I was conscious of the need to avoid unwanted  multiple shadows when I installed the LEDS, and have found them pretty forgiving in this regard. I used flexible LED strips which come on a 5m roll for about £14 and can be cut to length. They are mounted in diffusers, . The one at the rear has 50% opacity, the one at the front is clear.

I experimented with the position of the strip in the proscenium, and settled on installation with the lights facing vertically down. The proscenium projects about 10cm forward of the front edge of the layout which helps avoid leaving the very front edge of the layout in shadow.

The bluish tinge to the photos above is because they were taken when I was using ice white LEDS, which have now been changed to warm white.

Finally, and nothing to do with lights, I should have mentioned that the sky part of the back drop can be rolled up for transportation, so when in place it is seamless along the length of the layout.

Alex.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening Alex, 

Nice work on the brake vans and wagons. 

I'm doing something similar with some Mainline Lowfits. I believe Cambridge Custom Transfers Sheet BL58 may be your friend. 

I need to order some of these myself from John. 

Talking of Woodhead Transfers I do remember them and have the remnants of BR Loco/Carriage set in my transfer box. Brilliant transfers and easy to use with first class results like your Conflat. What became of them? 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 1