• RMweb Gold

Very nice weathering Alex. 

I do like the AA15 in particular. Suitably distressed. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The floor in the two flat wagons looks particularly realistic, how's it done?

Thanks. I start with an overall coat of Mig "Faded Sinai grey". Individal planks are the pic,ed out with Mig "New wood" "Old wood" and similar grey/brown shades. The whole is then given a wash of Mig matt black, heavily thinned. The wash is particularly worked in to the recesses round the lifting rings and chain pocket lids and into the gaps between the planks.  It is then sprayed with a mig "dirt" shader, and given a coat of acrylic matt varnish, which is left to harden overnight.

Powder weathering is next. The whole load bed is covered with Humbrol "Smoke" powder, particularly worked into the angle between the floor and sided. Powder is the removed from the face of the planks with a cotton  bud, moistened with Micellar water. More power is removed, and the area tided up, by gently rubbing with 2mm glass fibre brush.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Very nice work all of you! I'm particularly impressed with the 16 ton rotbox, it's really captured the look of them in service. To me, a lot of the weathering techniques put forward for these don't really work in the smaller scales.

That looks bang on, less is more as they say.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Top job on the wooden opens. I must try that out on my next victim. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice work all of you! I'm particularly impressed with the 16 ton rotbox, it's really captured the look of them in service. To me, a lot of the weathering techniques put forward for these don't really work in the smaller scales.

That looks bang on, less is more as they say.

Thanks. I was thinking the weathering on the 16 tonner was about as for as I wanted to go, as most of them would have been fairly new in the period of my model. Likewise BR vans. I think heavy weathering would be more appropriate to pre-nationalisation stuff, particularly unfitted types.

Alex

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Top job on the wooden opens. I must try that out on my next victim. 

Rob

Thanks Rob - praise indeed, as many of the ideas I pinched from you, especially the use of the glass fibre brush. I went out and brought one after our conversation at the RM Web members day a few years ago.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking work Alex.

The weathering has lifted these models nicely and given them that prototype work weary appearance. 

Some nice effects all round and good to try new techniques. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's a marvelous piece of kit butchery. I remember reading how it was refusing to sit right previously and thinking that you wouldn't let it beat you.

All you need now is a tin shed to stand by it. PM me if you need any dimensions, I have sketches for that one which was borrowed from Yelverton.

IMG_20210102_233916.jpg.8d22e65f2f74adcb989a7126d0d12c66.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a marvelous piece of kit butchery. I remember reading how it was refusing to sit right previously and thinking that you wouldn't let it beat you.

All you need now is a tin shed to stand by it. PM me if you need any dimensions, I have sketches for that one which was borrowed from Yelverton.

IMG_20210102_233916.jpg.8d22e65f2f74adcb989a7126d0d12c66.jpg

Thank you.  Your shed looks rather nice, but rest assured, there is a tin shed at Yelverton, the pagoda on the down platform next to the waiting room. With the footbridge, the pagoda and the waiting room make a nice group. I think one of the joys of modelling an actual location, which I find oddly liberating, is that you model what was actually there, without any agonising over wether it is typical or suitable. If it was there it gets  modelled, if it wasn't it doesn't.

I'm pleased with how the legs have turned out, much sturdier than the first attempt. The plan is to fix the legs to a section of platform, which will plug in to the main platform, helping to disguise the baseboard joint.

We were in Yelverton earlier this evening. We didn't  see the station site itself, as that is  now someone's private garden  but we caught a glimpse of the end of Station Road as we drove past.

Alex

• Like 2

My goof. The reference photo that I used for my shed shows both the footbridge at Thame and the footbridge at Yelverton. 

The shed is at Thame of course and I forgot! 

The picture compares very well with your model though. I love that OTT carpentry, except that it reminds me of just how dull modern architecture is!

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The picture compares very well with your model though. I love that OTT carpentry, except that it reminds me of just how dull modern architecture is!

It's great, isn't? I've still to do the finials, I've got some Scale Link ones, which I"ll  Install when I've done a bit more on the detailing and rubbing down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

A lovely set of photos, but I especially like the vegetation.  Would you mind sharing your method?

Laurels have quite dense vegetation. I started with a bunch of fibres (coir?) Cut from the covering of a post for a house plant. I rolled one end of the bunch in pva to hold the fibres together. The fibres were tidied up a bit with scissors. The bunch was then sprayed with hairspray and 4mm green static grass fibres added to make the smaller branches. More hairspray, sprinkled with Treemendus fine mid summer scatter. Finally, a coat of satin spray varnish to give a satin sheen to the leaves. The bushes are planted in holes drilled in the layout, fixed with pva. I've also done rhododendrons, bracken and  brambles, which I've described earlier in this thread.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 4

I should add that laurels on the model are the fourth attempt. Earlier attempts, using hairy string, were too open. One can be seen at the left hand end of the first picture. It is being repurposed  as a lilac.

Alex

• Like 1

Looks very nice especially the valences at the entrance to the stairs the plants are very interesting in the way you made ,food for thought.Saw Wiggo on the tv prog after each stage of the Giro still looks fit and gives a good insight as to whats happenning.

• Thanks 1

Than you for the kind comments about the vegetation.  I have first hand experience of real laurels. Cutting them back results in them growing back in greater profusion. It does give an opportunity to study them up close to see how they are made. One of the ironies of scenic modelling is that one can spend hours in the garden cutting down the undergrowth only to come inside to recreate it in miniature.

Wiggo rather shows how long I've been on RM web. When I created the username he was building up to the Beijing Olympics. Who suspected what was to come?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

I should add that laurels on the model are the fourth attempt. Earlier attempts, using hairy string, were too open. One can be seen at the left hand end of the first picture. It is being repurposed  as a lilac.

Alex

Thank you for sharing the excellent results from you trial and error approach to modelling laurels: just don’t rest on them!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...