2 hours ago, Gedward said:

That barrow crossing is spot on Alec. And looks like it's always been there.

Thanks George. There's a couple more to do; one between the up and  down platform buildings, and one by the signal box which combines with the cover over the point rodding.

Alex

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had the privilege of seeing the layout 'in the flesh' on the weekend and as I said to Alex then, the images look great on RMWeb but in real life it takes it to a whole new level! 
This will certainly be a big draw once out on the exhibition circuit, and deservedly so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More work on the carrying cases for Yelverton this weekend. I had to go out, so couldn't spend as much time as usual.

I've made ends for the two end scenic boards which are bolted together face to face for transportation. 

DSCF2629.jpg.fa82eedce7364b2f652b18ece6895708.jpg

DSCF2630.jpg.89baff8406fa0cb4d4a9b4af259a80c6.jpg

I've cut out the wood for the cover over the centre board, but I haven't assembled it yet. My plan is that when  the layout is set up, the cover will double up as a step for the shorter members of the audience.  I'm still thinking about how and where to fit the strengthening sections.

DSCF2628.jpg.8aaf254db0748454af9c4695506fa144.jpg

Alex

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Really great stuff, Alex. I've enjoyed catching up with your progress. 

Out of interest, what are the overall dimensions for your Yelverton layout?

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brinkly said:

Really great stuff, Alex. I've enjoyed catching up with your progress. 

Out of interest, what are the overall dimensions for your Yelverton layout?

All the best,

Nick.

Hi Nick. The whole set up, including the cassette deck at the Plymouth end and the sector plate at the Tavistock end, is 14' long x 2'3"" at the widest point.

The scenic section is on 3 boards, the centre section being 3' long, the two outer boards 2' 6". The modelled area is from the accommodation bridge at the north end of the station, to the point work for the refuge siding south of the signal box. 

The front edge of the scenic section is curved. The final size of the boards was due to the need to fit the various sections with their covers in the load bed of the car (BMW 325 estate). The gap  etween the arches for the rear wheels is 3', and the curve of the scenic section matches the curve of the tailgate.

Alex

PS I like the avatar Nick. I've always felt if you modelled that scene you would be accused of it being too twee!

Edited by wiggoforgold
PS added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

Haha yeah, I do like that photo. If I needed a bit of 'generic Launceston branch scenery' that would be the bit I would use! Failing that, the stretch between Grenofen Tunnel and the run into Whitchurch (photo below). 

390491158_GrenvileTunnel1960s.jpg.383886aa5515e150cba8b4a76b28b68a.jpg

Thanks for the dimensions - I think you have done a cracking job making the layout to that footprint. Your weathering is looking really good too. 

I'm hoping now I've had my operation that I can get back to some form of normality and get on with some modelling over the summer.

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks again Nick. That's a nice picture too. It's helping to convince me that the autotrain looks better with two trailers rather than one. Good job it's my birthday next month.

The station uses the "bitsa" station approach. The north end of the up platform beyond the accommodation bridge is off scene, and the refuge siding continues on to the cassette deck on a plg in section.

Glad the op went well and you are hoping to do some modelling soon.

Alex

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yelverton will be making a public appearance at the Saltash Modell Club show at the Ashtorre Rock in Saltash on the weekend of 2-3 October. It's a model show not a model railway exhibition and Yelverton will be the only railway exhibit. It won't be fully finished, but hopefully it will look nice, trains will run and it will bring back memories. Hope to see some of you there.

Alex

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Smashing set of photos.  The two full shots of the Prairies in particular could easily pass for the real thing.  I will come back to this thread for refs when I (eventually) start work on sprucing up my locos.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1