1 hour ago, mullie said:

Great modelling Alex, where is the exhibition?

Martyn

Yelverton is going to the Saltash model exhibition on 2nd and 3rd October. It will be the only railway exhibit. Hopefully it will also be at the Yealmpton model railway show the following weekend, just awaiting confirmation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

54 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

Yelverton is going to the Saltash model exhibition on 2nd and 3rd October. It will be the only railway exhibit. Hopefully it will also be at the Yealmpton model railway show the following weekend, just awaiting confirmation.

Sadly still too far for me to visit, Alex:bad: Take some pictures?:D

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Today's question: Although the model is set in 1958, after the closure of the Princetown branch, I thought it would add some operational interest for viewers to show how wagons to and from Princetown were shunted. I've worked out from the Kingdom book how freight for Princetown was dropped off at Yelverton, but how were wagons from Princetown dealt with?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I meant to say in my last post, Alex. Watch the Kingdom book - it is very inaccurate in places. A better one is the Oakwood Press book: The Launceston Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History) and articles in GWR Journal 101 (Yelverton station operation), 41 (Launceston Branch operation) and 17 (Tavistock South operation).  

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Hi Nick, hopefully you're a bit better nowadays.  I was particularly interested in your remarks concerning the quarry traffic on the PT line, these quarries and their workings always were of interest to me and your comments were most useful.

Also for years I was under the impression that the turntables were only used to turn snow ploughs having read so in some articles.  However, I do have pictures of a 44xx heading a mixed to PT and another picture of the same loco and carriage, minus wagons, descending toward Yelverton head first; something I thought was forbidden. So it must have turned on the one by the engine shed.  Unless someone has a better idea!:scratchhead:

Brian.

PS.  You don't know anything about the quarry traffic on the Caradon line in GW days by any chance?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 24/09/2021 at 00:08, brianusa said:

Hi Nick, hopefully you're a bit better nowadays.  I was particularly interested in your remarks concerning the quarry traffic on the PT line, these quarries and their workings always were of interest to me and your comments were most useful.

Also for years I was under the impression that the turntables were only used to turn snow ploughs having read so in some articles.  However, I do have pictures of a 44xx heading a mixed to PT and another picture of the same loco and carriage, minus wagons, descending toward Yelverton head first; something I thought was forbidden. So it must have turned on the one by the engine shed.  Unless someone has a better idea!:scratchhead:

Brian.

PS.  You don't know anything about the quarry traffic on the Caradon line in GW days by any chance?

Hi Brian,

Getting there! Long old processes at the moment, but I am back at work and enjoying just being a 'teacher' again. I dropped all my leadership roles and responsibilities when I returned. 

Anyway. 

I think the turn tables were used a little more than just for turning trains with snow ploughs. To reduce wear on the wheels, I've seen 4410 running smokebox and bunker first to Princetown, so I suspect on lighter loads (or when no one was looking) the locomotives were turned on them.

Officially, crews were meant to turn their locomotives at Launceston for the return run to Plymouth, but that certainly didn't happen the whole time. I'm also not sure when the turn table at Tavistock was taken out of use - I think that was still available for crews to use through the 1940s and early 1950s. It is an area of the station that wasn't particularly well photographed, so one can't even look at the general state of repair or rust on the rails, to determine if it was still used post-war.

I know the coaches allocated to Princetown were run down to Laira once a fortnight for cleaning and turning to prevent the wheels from having uneven wear.

All the best,

Nick. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

Yelverton has been confirmed for the Yealmpton show (all model railways this one) on Saturday 9th October, so a busy week lies ahead!

Some useful information there Nick. Glad you are feeling better. A friend in your profession also found that the administrative responsibilities were taking over from teaching  and has moved back to pure teaching where he is feeling  much more fulfilled.

Might you make it to Yealmpton?

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2021 at 04:29, wiggoforgold said:

Yelverton has been confirmed for the Yealmpton show (all model railways this one) on Saturday 9th October, so a busy week lies ahead!

Some useful information there Nick. Glad you are feeling better. A friend in your profession also found that the administrative responsibilities were taking over from teaching  and has moved back to pure teaching where he is feeling  much more fulfilled.

Might you make it to Yealmpton?

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm hoping I can continue to make a steady recovery. At the moment, I've had a huge number of complications with nerve damage to bits of my stomach and liver caused by the stones getting stuck in various bits that they shouldn't have been in! 

I'd like to go to the show and am hoping to pop along to see Yelverton. I had to miss our local mini-Scaleforum as we had Covid cases in class. Just the joys of it all currently! 

Take care and all the best,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well the last two weekend's shows went off well, and Yelverton appears to have been well received. I took some pictures at Saltash, but not at Yealmpton I'm afraid. I've made a list of things to do before the next outing, starting with a new set of legs, which should be quicker to put up and easier to transport. The wood should be here tomorrow, so hopefully by Sunday I should have something to show.

Alex

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Well the last two weekend's shows went off well, and Yelverton appears to have been well received. I took some pictures at Saltash, but not at Yealmpton I'm afraid. I've made a list of things to do before the next outing, starting with a new set of legs, which should be quicker to put up and easier to transport. The wood should be here tomorrow, so hopefully by Sunday I should have something to show.

Alex

Has yelverton got anymore outings coming up in Devon or Cornwall?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Edington's the next one. The sheep gentleman will be assisting.

smiling-sheep-gary-canant.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2