• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that post, now bookmarked. I had been wondering about options for folding baseboards.

Heinz and Cervelo looking good together, a nice colour match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Thanks for that post, now bookmarked. I had been wondering about options for folding baseboards.

Heinz and Cervelo looking good together, a nice colour match.

Thanks Mikkel. As I said above, The frame when up is surprisingly rigid. The angle braces from the foot of the legs to the centre of the layout help, and with the centre scenic board in place it will be more rigid still. Have a look st the discussion earlier in this thread, and in particular Rob's thoughts about where to place rhe central hinges in the angle girders.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Last night I put the centre scenic board in place on the new supprts. With one bolt to hold it in place, and aligned by a dowel in the upright, it results in a surprisingly rigid structure.

DSCF2705.jpg.16cfc8fd72067460b1da80f86122d56c.jpgDSCF2706.jpg.0b76f843f862714671202e4392b3bf68.jpg

Now, a question. At the recent show in Saltash, a gentleman who remembered the station told me he remembered the foot bridge as white. Photographs taken in 1961/62 appear to show the footbridge the same colour as the gable ends of the signal box, which was repainted in WR colours in the late 1950's. The cream shade was very pale. A colour photograph taken in 1959 shows the footbridge the same colour as the adjoining down platform building, GWR light stone, which is what I have used. Does anyone know if or when the footbridge was repainted?

Alex

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely work Alex. 

The footbridge and it's weathering are just right. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this in January. 

Rob 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Cracking modelling Alex... ;)

Love the cameo with Roye England's bike. Is that a Reynolds frame with Campagnolo gear set... Hmmmm! :)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Cracking modelling Alex... ;)

Love the cameo with Roye England's bike. Is that a Reynolds frame with Campagnolo gear set... Hmmmm! :)

Cheers, 

Mark 

Not sure about the gear set, but I reckon the upwards tilt of the saddle would have breached UCI rules. :)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

Puts me in mind of a Vindec Reynolds 531 framed racer I had as a teenager with Campagnolo gears, wheels, the works and those old Weinmann centre pull brakes that actually stopped it. I swapped it for a Triumph Herald in the end. Wish I still had both to be honest!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

More work on bedding in the foot bridge and detailing the up platform building. The bike leaning against the down platform building appears in a number of photos of the station, and i suspect it belonged to Roye England, who was doing a phot survey of the station at the time and is seen wheeling a similar bike in a Pathe newsreel on thatching models for Pendon. I used a Shire Scenes etching.

DSCF2711.jpg.a37610b8ccf6cdd4c23bee6fce77b038.jpg

DSCF2712.jpg.78b179faf9c1635a959c9fdd1c2ec10b.jpgDSCF2713.jpg.f0a07950900df4c0e5c516c74a74608e.jpgDSCF2714.jpg.af905fa16042d3320cc44ce9f9c0bb37.jpg

Alex

Morning Alex,

Yelverton looks tremendous. 

I think you have created something a bit special here. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

I keep getting drawn back to the last but one photo that shows the old GWR paintwork flaking off the end of the building, showing the damp weathered timber beneath. Just that alone is enough to give a sense of time and place. I hope to see this layout in the flesh at some point, it's a wonderful, inspiring piece of work.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex, unfortunately I don't think you could leave the ground signal in the old position, as it would be past the points to which it refers. I'm not aware of any prototype for such a practice, although others may be able to quote an example. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

The ground-signal (No 21 ?) needs to be at, or in rear of, the toe of the points (22) to which it applies. But AFAIK there is no reason why you should not simply put it in the 6-foot instead.

Edited by RailWest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

A small plea this morning. I'm looking for a Bachmann 45xx body. Any livery. A non-runner would do. Anyone out there with one to sell?

Thanks

Alex

I've got a 4575 that I bought cheaply to practice weathering on, if you're interested? It's been badly weathered by the previous owner, I've not yet got round to stripping it off and starting again.

2 hours ago, Nick C said:

I've got a 4575 that I bought cheaply to practice weathering on, if you're interested? It's been badly weathered by the previous owner, I've not yet got round to stripping it off and starting again.

Thanks Nick. It needs to be a 45xx with straight tanks.

Alex

On 15/11/2021 at 13:11, wiggoforgold said:

Thanks Nick. It needs to be a 45xx with straight tanks.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Just a thought, if all else fails maybe you might consider the new service by Bachmann

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/product/category/756/45xx-2-6-2-prairie-body---4539---in-great-western-green-32-131/e3212-100-01

All the best,

G

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...