2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Useful information, thanks for posting. Manmade surfaces such as this are the ones that always give me the biggest headache.

Thanks Rob. I was using ash from the fire,  but I ran out, and I ve found the grout/soil mix gives  virtually the same colour. I rub it down once dry, which removes the bigger pieces and leaves quite a fine texture. I'll dust it with powders to give a bit more variation.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

I can't get enough of that station building.

Will you be weathering the fence? I'm in doubt how much to weather my own.

It's a fascinating building. When I first saw a photo I had to model it.

As for weathering the fence, it doesn't seem too heavily weathered in the period of the model. That said, it seems the heaviest weathering would be on tne sections running 

east-west which were exposed to the prevailing winds.

Alex

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Alex,

In my unprofessional opinion, you seem to have created something quite special with this layout. 

A bit of a triumph methinks. 

Bravo!

Rob. 

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

I think that the building at Yelverton holds a fascination for many of us. 

The amount of trouble gone to in order to design and build a polygonal building says something about the hopes of the railway company for this station and the importance placed upon it. 

It would have been so much simpler to have put up a rectangular building as seen elsewhere, but it was obviously deemed necessary to have the building facing the platform edges.

This model is a real tribute to it's fading years.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the kind comments. i've just realised that the words to my last post didn't come out, just the pictures, with now words of explanation! As you can see, I've finished bedding in the up platform building - it remains removable, but no too often I hope because it is a tight fit. I also added a picture of the down platform, showing more grass work behind the platform, and rododendrons added be hind the up platform.

I'm enjoying the Yelverton build. What I have done owes a lot to many other posters on here and in other places, whose ideas I have followed. I have found modelling actual prototype extremely liberating, as I simply model what is there, nothing more, nothing less. Thus it isn't "typical", it's "actual". Would you believe it all started with a dog walk...?

All this got me thinking  as to what had influenced me over the years. I got to a point with "Upwell Drove" a few years ago, when I suddenly realised the layout was starting to look like I had intended, and I found that I was controlling how the layout looked, rather than it controlling me.. In no particular order, some of the important thing s I have discovered are these:

• The works of Iain Rice, in particular his boos on finescale for small spaces and light railway modelling. I was instantly drawn to his ideas on presentation and have followed them ever since.
  • Static grass
  • LED strip lights.
  • The fact that Bachmann and Hornby make rtr models of most of the locos and stock I need for my projects. If I have a favourite, it's the Bachmann auto coach, but the Bachmann small prairies deserve an honourable mention.
  • The realisation that a backscene could be high and relatively plain (I know Yelverton doesn't follow this last bit)
  • Ply girders for baseboard construction.
  • The discipline of making everything pack into the car.

Not an exhaustive list, but these thing immediately cam to mind.

Thank you all. I'm enjoying myself.

Alex

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

As a youngster, I remember scrambling over that footbridge with a school chum to meet his mum off an afternoon train from Plymouth, then walking back to his for a scrummy afternoon tea.

This is a wonderful and favourite thread which reminds me so much of my early childhood on Dartmoor.

Many thanks,

Bill

Edited by longchap
Predictive text battle!
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

4 hours ago, longchap said:

As a youngster, I remember scrambling over that footbridge with a school chum to meet his mum off an afternoon train from Plymouth, then walking back to his for a scrummy afternoon tea.

This is a wonderful and favourite thread which reminds me so much of my early childhood on Dartmoor.

Many thanks,

Bill

Thank you for your kind comments. When I started this project I was hopeful that it would bring back memories, so your reaction is what I was aiming for.

Alex

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yealmpton and the Princeton branch makes an appearance in this lovely nostalgic video.

A Brief Journey - sailor's run ashore in 1954 to Plymouth, Dartmoor and Looe, and sixpence for a pastie.

This is my homage to that film.(I’ve cleaned up the glue marks on the platform since the photo was taken)

40BCDCC7-E2CC-4A67-B295-99E3DD6373BA.jpeg.36171600e24aa01ea0a1e2da9b827bf1.jpeg

Alex

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

(I’ve cleaned up the glue marks on the platform since the photo was taken)

Aww. I thought that was to represent sea water dripping from his bell-bottoms…

• Funny 7

14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Could you tell me where you got that figure from please?  An ex-sailor would like to know :)

I think it's a Dart Castings / Monty's model railways MLV24 Sailor.

Sorry, gave up trying to load a picture, the site just crashes on me.IMG_20220119_094157.jpg.f32cc21e53aab481ca5d8bd3a364022b.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Fourteen hours later.....
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Merit ( now Peco) made a nice set of Matelots, tho they needed a repaint.

You could also have Royal Marine’s….. there were quite a few ( dozens) of married quarters at Yelverton.

Quite a few Marines from Bickleigh Barracks lived there…..

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Merit ( now Peco) made a nice set of Matelots, tho they needed a repaint.

S'funny you should say that, I've just spotted some matelots, just a few miles from Yelverton, at HMS Hades quayside station.

image.png.eadb54c3d714ed053d2d669c47d40f9f.png

The resident shunter has just arrived with something for "Senior Naval Stores Officer (SNSO)". But with rumours of CPO Pertwee and Fatso Johnston in the vicinity, we have serious doubts whether the OIC will ever receive that, or whether it really is "purified water only". More likely to be Uisce beatha.

Those matelots scarpering before the officer notices them just adds to the general impression of mischief on the move.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

S'funny you should say that, I've just spotted some matelots, just a few miles from Yelverton, at HMS Hades quayside station.

image.png.eadb54c3d714ed053d2d669c47d40f9f.png

The resident shunter has just arrived with something for "Senior Naval Stores Officer (SNSO)". But with rumours of CPO Pertwee and Fatso Johnston in the vicinity, we have serious doubts whether the OIC will ever receive that, or whether it really is "purified water only". More likely to be Uisce beatha.

Those matelots scarpering before the officer notices them just adds to the general impression of mischief on the move.

A little gold paint and a very fine brush….. and you can add rank badges and good conduct stripes……

One for every 4 years for other ranks only.

A Royal Navy 3 badger with a beard always looks good on a layout!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Yealmpton and the Princeton branch makes an appearance in this lovely nostalgic video.

A Brief Journey - sailor's run ashore in 1954 to Plymouth, Dartmoor and Looe, and sixpence for a pastie.

Thank you. Just spent an interesting half hour watching that.

Intriguing that the coaches were LMS types. I knew that a lot of displaced LM stock was used on the western  but didn’t realise it was as early as 1954.

• Like 3