I've just remember where I found the Navy folk.

Peco ModelScene 5117 Navy Personnel

https://peco-uk.com/collections/modelscene/products/navy-personnel

If you want some marines, perhaps this?

5116 Army Personnel

https://peco-uk.com/collections/modelscene/products/army-personnel

Or this?

5201 Unpainted Army, Navy and RAF Personnel

https://peco-uk.com/collections/modelscene/products/unpainted-army-navy-and-raf-personnel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Intriguing that the coaches were LMS types. I knew that a lot of displaced LM stock was used on the western  but didn’t realise it was as early as 1954.

Glad you spotted that, I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me! :)

The Princeton train was pulled by 4410...

image.png.6b0b0d6972664c1fb92e3bf8b009f5ef.png

BRDatabase say assigned to Laira 18/04/1953 until withdrawn 12/09/1955

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4410&loco=3110

The coach shown was M7725M

image.png.788eb6a99c2190d9141a738218aa6bfd.png

Does anyone what kind of coach that is?

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Glad you spotted that, I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me! :)

The Princeton train was pulled by 4410...

image.png.6b0b0d6972664c1fb92e3bf8b009f5ef.png

BRDatabase say assigned to Laira 18/04/1953 until withdrawn 12/09/1955

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=4410&loco=3110

The coach shown was M7725M

image.png.788eb6a99c2190d9141a738218aa6bfd.png

Does anyone what kind of coach that is?

I’ve just found this thread! :)

LMS Coach on Dartmoor Branch in 1954

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2022 at 23:07, KeithMacdonald said:

Excellent! M26176M as well as M7725M - both "on loan"?

I think several ex LMS interlopers where used on the Launceston branch in the mid 1950s. When Brian  @Taz helped me with a bit of coach research a few years ago, we discovered an LMS trio at Launceston circa 1955. I suspect they were 'borrowed' from an inter-regional working when stock was tight during the summer. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was some discussion on ANTB regarding the appearance of Stanier coaches in the Kingsbridge branch train. Possibly popped up on footage from Railway Roundabout ? 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

I was wondering which other 44XX locos had served at Yelverton.

Here's a few on Smugmug, including 4407 at Yelverton in June 1949

4407 Yelverton June 1949

Also, 4410 (from that video) at Ingra Tor Halt with a Princetown to Yelverton service on 21st August 1954

4410 Ingra Tor Halt with a Princetown to Yelverton service 21st August 1954 Churchward GWR 4400 Class

This might be the best one, in colour, 4410 at Yelverton on 5th July 1955

4410 Yelverton 5th July 1955 Churchward 4400 class

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Except the last one, by Peter Gray, the train was formed of a single Collett bow ended corridor coach - clearly visible in the other shots Peter took on the line that day.

I've seen several examples of former LMS vehicles in use in Devon and Cornwall on local and branch services in the late 50s/early 60s so it would appear they were far from unusual.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's 4568 again on SmugMug.

The caption says "4568 unknown location with a mixed passenger and freight service". But with that single coach, two vans and an open (coal?) wagon, it certainly looks like somewhere on the moor between Yelverton and Princetown. Any guesses where?

4568 unknown location with a mixed passenger and freight service Churchward 4500 class

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Here's 4568 again on SmugMug.

The caption says "4568 unknown location with a mixed passenger and freight service". But with that single coach, two vans and an open (coal?) wagon, it certainly looks like somewhere on the moor between Yelverton and Princetown. Any guesses where?

4568 unknown location with a mixed passenger and freight service Churchward 4500 class

That is the run into Princetown - I walked along there today!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

The plan is to make a model of 4410. It's a bit of a a work in progress at the moment. I have the chassis and the body is part done, but it will be a couple of months before it sees the light of day.

The photo of 4407 is intriguing. I've seen it before. Any thoughts on why it appears to have GWR on the tank sides, but a BR smokebox numberplate?

Alex

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

The photo of 4407 is intriguing. I've seen it before. Any thoughts on why it appears to have GWR on the tank sides, but a BR smokebox numberplate?

Not that uncommon an occurrence, Alex, in the early years after nationalisation.

BR would understandably be keen to stamp it's identity on locos, hence the smokebox door number, which would have been done prior to the loco receiving works attention.

It may also be something connected with the unionised division of labour, in that attaching a smokebox door numberplate may have been something that local shed staff (eg. at Laira) were allowed to do, whereas repainting the loco (or even just new insignia) could have been a job for a main works like Swindon or Wolverhampton?

There were one or two 'celebrity' panniers that retained their 'GWR' markings (and green livery) right into the 1960s, whilst at the same time sporting a smokebox door plate, such as 7788 of Gloucester shed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thanks Rob. Still more to do. Some fences, a bit more vegetation. And what appears  to be the remains of a cover over the top end of the path. Have a look at the colour picture Keith added a couple of posts back.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 1

Intriguing film of the farmers wife going shopping; just an overcoat and shoes, snow on the ground and no boots.  It really looks cold but luckily the train arrives on time.  Things were tough on the Moor even at this late date and hard to believe in this day and age.

Brian.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, steve45 said:

Absolutely brilliant, may I ask where you got the ferns from?

Regards

Steve

They are made by a firm called Model Scene. I can't remember where I got them, but google "4mm scale laser cut ferns" and you will find several types. Model Railway Scenery and WW Scenics come to mind. When I get more, I'll get them from a different manufacturer to add variety.

Alex

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/09/2021 at 21:01, Brinkly said:

The only other freight working was the milk, which came from Lifton Creamery.

Hope this isn't too off-topic? There's a nice article here on how the Lifton Creamery came to be where it was, almost be accident. Along with some railway pics.

... he was persuaded to set up his factory in England instead. In fact, it nearly went to Wales – for Alfred enjoyed his fishing there, too – but when searching for the site he got rather a cold reception from the Welsh and such a warm one from the Devonians that Lifton was chosen for the new enterprise.

https://launcestonthen.co.uk/index.php/the-parishes/lifton/ambrosia/

Cornwall Railway Soc's page on the Launceston branch has a few pics of freight from Lifton Creamery. Would that have come through Yelverton?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Cornwall Railway Soc's page on the Launceston branch has a few pics of freight from Lifton Creamery. Would that have come through Yelverton?

Yes. Milk tanks were attached to the rear of passenger trains except on Sundays when a milk train ran on it’s own. There were also a lot of cotaier wagons with BD containers loaded with tins of creamed rice.

Alex

• Informative/Useful 2