• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2020 at 22:17, wiggoforgold said:

What diagram autotrailers are they?

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm not completely sure; I'm no expert on GWR coaching stock and only have the second Auto Trailer book by John Lewis - I really need the first one!

The first trailer, directly behind the locomotive, might be W157W, which was allocated to the Tavistock auto workings from March 1956 - September 1957.

If you look at the diagram below, it looks very similar - cab paneling, window position and roof ventilators; however, I might be barking up the wrong tree and am very happy to be proven wrong! 

draw24.jpg.442a113a6ab4d70c78b869fb30a6c1d9.jpg

Here is a link to a photograph of 1408 and W157W at Tavistock and a second of the same pairing at Yelverton on the same day. For me, this will be a signature pairing once I finally get round to working on Horrabridge. Blacksmith's (now owned by Cooper Craft) used to make this auto trailer, A26. 

Or, it might be W51W, which was a diagram P and also assigned to the branch between 1956-57.  

The second one though I'm really not sure about; however, if we call our resident GWR coach expert @chrisf (and I know he hates being tagged like this, so apologies in advance Chris!) he might be able to shed a bit more light on the photo. 

Hope this is of help!

I'd certainly like to know what they are - do we have a date for the photo? Its has to have been taken before the closure (or removal) of the Princetown branch, as the starter signal on platform 3 is still present.  

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Brinkly said:

The second one though I'm really not sure about; however, if we call our resident GWR coach expert @chrisf (and I know he hates being tagged like this, so apologies in advance Chris!) he might be able to shed a bit more light on the photo.

Nick, I'll see what I can do.  You are right, I do hate being tagged like that.  So should all non-users of Twitter.

Chris

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chrisf said:

Nick, I'll see what I can do.  You are right, I do hate being tagged like that.  So should all non-users of Twitter.

Chris

1939262209_GWRBatman.jpg.6d5b8140b23d279f917759f599b65069.jpg

I did try to call you, but it wasn't overcast here! :D Thanks Chris. Top man.

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

Nick and Alex

If anyone tells you that all GW auto trailers look the same, tell them to ** ***** and ********!

The one nearest the camera looks to be a Diagram T, of which there were 6 [75 - 80].  Nearly all wooden trailers had pairs of droplights somewhere on the bodyside but these don't.  I will send a PM with a broadside photo, for I don't want anyone at Domestic Duck Books accusing me of a flagrant breach of copyright.  You may think that this is a teeny weeny one but I could not possibly comment.

Vacancy, to be filled immediately: GW coach expert.  Tolerance of Twitter would be an advantage.

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, RailWest said:

Very nice, but..I'm puzzled why the Up Starting has a 'Rule 55 exempt' diamond sign? I've never seen one in any photo there, nor is there any obvious reason why one would be provided.

Hi Chris. It doesn't, neither will mine when it's done. I just took the signal out of the box this morning before i took the photograph, and haven't done anything to it yet.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Hi Chris. It doesn't, neither will mine when it's done. I just took the signal out of the box this morning before i took the photograph, and haven't done anything to it yet.

Alex

...like painting the post white, I hope ? :-):-)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RailWest said:

...like painting the post white, I hope ? :-):-)

Yes again Chris. I was sure the post was white and WR never got round to repainting it. I checked some photographs to confirm my suspicion. I think it looks better in white anyway.  :)

Alex

• RMweb Gold

On 14/08/2020 at 11:17, chrisf said:

Nick and Alex

If anyone tells you that all GW auto trailers look the same, tell them to ** ***** and ********!

The one nearest the camera looks to be a Diagram T, of which there were 6 [75 - 80].  Nearly all wooden trailers had pairs of droplights somewhere on the bodyside but these don't.  I will send a PM with a broadside photo, for I don't want anyone at Domestic Duck Books accusing me of a flagrant breach of copyright.  You may think that this is a teeny weeny one but I could not possibly comment.

Vacancy, to be filled immediately: GW coach expert.  Tolerance of Twitter would be an advantage.

Chris

Deleted. Never mind. I didn’t get the Domestic Duck jape.

Edited by Harlequin

6 hours ago, RailWest said:

Do you happen to know when the tubular post replaced the original wooden one please?

I don't I'm afraid Chris. I'll have a look and see if I can find anything. There will likely be  others on here with more knowledge of the subject than me.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

According to "GWR Signalling Practice":

The first tubular post signals were erected at a number of sites in 1927 for assessment and comparison with the old pattern masts. Thereafter they gradually extended across the system.

(There! That makes up for my late arrival on the Diagram T autocoach train!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...