Thanks for sharing your work, the building construction is quite inspirational. It would make sense for me to construct the key buildings for my layout now before I go any further with the scenery. Any excuse, I'm quite looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Simply lovely, Alex. 

This will be a splendid layout. No doubt about that. 

Rob. 

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, brianusa said:

the rhodies look a bit like ours in the garden, maybe better this time of year!:huh:

Brian.

After the rain stopped this morning  I went and looked at ours in the garden. Ours are a bit behind yours - plenty of buds, but I don't think we will be seeing  blooms for a few weeks. I realised I should have sprayed the bushes a reddish brown, not grey.  Ah well, a lesson for next time :)

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 2

I have considered doing exactly the same thing as you with the little hut, I tend to modify a lot of things. I suspect that whoever designed the kit did so from an old photograph. I have definitely seen a photo of a very similar hut with the window arrangement as per the kit. It looks like one of those Crittall steel frames which date back to the 20s, but to me just looks odd. The six pane window is a definite improvement to my eye. Your paintwork has also lifted it out of the ordinary, it no longer looks like a generic kit seen on every other layout. It shows what a good basis that kit is with a bit of observation of the real thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 04:29, wiggoforgold said:

After the rain stopped this morning  I went and looked at ours in the garden. Ours are a bit behind yours - plenty of buds, but I don't think we will be seeing  blooms for a few weeks. I realised I should have sprayed the bushes a reddish brown, not grey.  Ah well, a lesson for next time :)

Alex

I've been out on the motorcycle today, testing a new carburetor setup and tuning. I stopped to check things over in the relative shelter of some woodland that had quite a good growth of self set Rhododendrons. There were so many growing around where I lived as a child I never took much notice of them. Reminded of your above comment on colouring, I had a closer look. The younger branches and twigs are indeed a reddish brown, but once they grow much beyond an inch or two thick, they become a slightly silvery grey in colour, usually with a hint of mossy green on the really big branches. At twenty feet away, all grey. At 90mph on a seventy year old bike, just a dark green blur, but that's another story. ;) But I wouldn't worry too much about the rhododendrons.

I do like the way you are working on all the structural aspects of the layout at once, shouldn't be too much juggling of features or nasty surprises. I haven't got many buildings sorted for my layout yet, but I do know the footprint sizes. I'll be cutting out some bits of card marked Crossing keepers house ' etc. It will at least give me confidence to fix the track permanently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What appears to be a seasonal computer outage means I haven't been able to post here for a few days. Construction has continued though, and I have started work on the baseboards. Construction is mostly 9mm ply for the frames. There are 3 scenic boards, supported on a pair of 9mm ply "L" girders, which in turn are supported on a pair of Screwfix trestle. The "L" girders are hinged in the  middle, so they can be folded for transportation.

20200212_072502-01.jpeg.ebbf4dc6530e6de4b7972e3e2829acdb.jpeg

20200212_072450-01.jpeg.423a7126b3d62ecccecb46d9786f4173.jpeg

Alex

20200212_072353-01.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Alex. 

At some point can you take some snaps of the 'L'  girders on their own please on top of the Screwfix trestles. 

I'm in the process of planing for my new project and considering baseboard design in the School of Rice. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/02/2020 at 19:03, 46444 said:

Nice work Alex. 

At some point can you take some snaps of the 'L'  girders on their own please on top of the Screwfix trestles. 

I'm in the process of planing for my new project and considering baseboard design in the School of Rice. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Hi Mark. Sorry for the delayed reply - ongoing internet problems mean  my visits have been intermittent in the last few days. Here are some pictures of the supporting structure. The starting point was the "Ulysses" design in Iain Rice's " Finescale for small spaces" book.

First a picture of the girders on a Screwfix trestle.

20200219_195331-01.jpeg.602f9f408db4423c55beaf21a0cf7597.jpeg

The girder will be retained in place on the trestle by small metal right angle brackets.

20200219_195433-01.jpeg.005ba52d6aab0fa82a8019cb989d9764.jpeg

The folding girder is stiffened in the centre by a ply bracket, which will also serve to locate the central baseboard and provide a support for the proscenium.

20200219_201312-01.jpeg.dcc56a823b1e5ab91c4e77ac40d8abdc.jpeg

One thing I would do differently is put the hinge at the bottom of the joint. I underestimated the slop in the hinges, with the result that once unfolded and placed on the trestle, it sagged in the middle. If it was doing it again I would put the hinges on the bottom, so the weight of the beam would hold it level.

Finally, a picture of the layout so far, from what will be the southern (Plymouth) end.

20200219_201848-02.jpeg.7182a60822bdff5977eee19786afeef5.jpeg

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex, 

You may recall that I use folding 3x2 ( nominal) timbers to support my layouts. 

The hinges are placed on the side of the timbers as are the catches to lock them together. 

I have cut and glued squares of rubber on the faces of the timbers where they meet. This takes up any slack and makes for a more rigid 'girder'. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Hi Mark. Sorry for the delayed reply - ongoing internet problems mean  my visits have been intermittent in the last few days. Here are some pictures of the supporting structure. The starting point was the "Ulysses" design in Iain Rice's " Finescale for small spaces" book.

First a picture of the girders on a Screwfix trestle.

20200219_195331-01.jpeg.602f9f408db4423c55beaf21a0cf7597.jpeg

The girder will be retained in place on the trestle by small metal right angle brackets.

20200219_195433-01.jpeg.005ba52d6aab0fa82a8019cb989d9764.jpeg

The folding girder is stiffened in the centre by a ply bracket, which will also serve to locate the central baseboard and provide a support for the proscenium.

20200219_201312-01.jpeg.dcc56a823b1e5ab91c4e77ac40d8abdc.jpeg

One thing I would do differently is put the hinge at the bottom of the joint. I underestimated the slop in the hinges, with the result that once unfolded and placed on the trestle, it sagged in the middle. If it was doing it again I would put the hinges on the bottom, so the weight of the beam would hold it level.

Finally, a picture of the layout so far, from what will be the southern (Plymouth) end.

20200219_201848-02.jpeg.7182a60822bdff5977eee19786afeef5.jpeg

Alex

Evening Alex, 

Great stuff. 

Thanks for the explanation and snaps. Certainly clarifies what I've read in my Rice books. 

Handy hint from Rob as well. 

Looking forwards to seeing more progress. 

Getting ready this end to order some timber. I've a layout to build by July... 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Alex, 

You may recall that I use folding 3x2 ( nominal) timbers to support my layouts. 

The hinges are placed on the side of the timbers as are the catches to lock them together. 

I have cut and glued squares of rubber on the faces of the timbers where they meet. This takes up any slack and makes for a more rigid 'girder'. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob. 

Some 'Top Tips' there. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

19 hours ago, 46444 said:

Getting ready this end to order some timber. I've a layout to build by July... 

In Plymouth, B&Q is your friend. They 've go a nice machine for cutting sheets of ply into strips, and you get 15 free cuts. I just go in with a list of sizes :)

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I took this view on Saturday. It's no longer possible, as the end of the backscene now blocks the view. It shows the different levels at the southern end of the layout. On the left, behind the back scene, is the hidden return track, which will link the cassette deck and the sector plate. Next is the private lane which descends behind the station. To it's right is the refuge siding, level with the running lines through the station. Next right, the running lines fall on a 1/60 gradient. The line is on an embankment at this point, so the board has been left open for the scenery20200222_165911-01.jpeg.b4e0e84be5ff1b052f8d1e812789bd5e.jpeg

Alex

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Positively romping along, Wiggers. 

This is looking just splendid. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1