Hello Everyone (as I believe LUL announcers now have to say)...

A chance conversation this evening has resulted in the unanimous decision of my family to have a layout in the living room, situated atop a cabinet measuring 3' 9" x 17". Now, for at least a week ( :P ) I have been wondering what to do with my gradually increasing range of LUL stock. Currently I possess the following vehicles:

• 2x LBC C69 Stock Driving Motor Cars*
  • 1x LBC C69 Stock Trailer Car (Motorised)*
  • 1x CDC 1923 Metropolitan Driving Motor (Motorised)*
  • 1x CDC 1923 Metropolitan Driving Motor (Un-Motorised)*
  • 2x CDC A60 Stock Driving Motor Cars (Bodies only)*
  • 1x CDC A60 Stock Trailer Car (Body only)*
  • 1x CLC Metropolitan 'A' Class 4-4-0T (Requires Motor, Wheels and Gearbox)*
  • 1x Radley 'G' Stock Double-Ended Driving Motor (Acton Shuttle)
  • 1x Bachmann LT (ex-GWR) 5700 Pannier
  • 1x Heljan Met Bo-Bo (LT Grey)

('*' Indicates models acquired courtesy of Mr L49 of this parish)

As most of you will have gathered by now, this is not the most coherent or usable selection of LT stock and actually seems to fall into two distinct time periods, as follows:

1940s - Bo-Bo, 1923 Met Stock, A Class and maybe (if I haven't muddled my dates) the Acton Shuttle Unit

1969-1971 - Pannier, A60 and C69 stock.

And there isn't really much overlap between them! And of that lot there is precious little that I could get away with running on this Lillie Bridge plan of mine. I shall e needing some Battery Locos and some panniers, methinks...

Anyway, on to the layout plan itself. I shall be modelling the Northern end of the depot, the approach roads, specifically the area around the steam shed, as per the OS Map below -

Untitled.png.0ecebf9ead10457308dc93ee91efe0f6.png

And here is the plan that I've drawn up based on the above map -

image.png.ba9224fcf32729c13269c000b412a7a2.png

I've not included the cassettes that I intend to use as fiddle yards to allow trains to pass through, rather than just loco movements.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Now this is going to be good, one of my fave place's to stop for a nose about when in London. Can I suggest that you build the layout with a possible extension in mind, the various bridges carrying the depot tracks and roads over the district line is a scene in itself. 

Edited by simon b
  • Agree 1

I can't promise that it's going to be good, and I will warn that it will be set pre-1971, but I hope it'll be reasonable, and it will actually be my first attempt at modelling a real location, which is quite exciting!

It is very much being built with extension in mind...

• Like 1

If the C69 and A 60 Stock are in unpainted aluminium rather than corporate livery, they could (at a fictitious stretch) be being delivered 

'as new'.... Looking forward to this one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never did post an A Stock picture - here's one now then!

I've been working on the trackplan for Lillie Bridge, and with extra space potentially becoming available, I may be able to have some District Line trains running to and fro as well -

image.png.3426f77b5e15c37eed67843fb1118c9a.png

I may also change the viewing angle to be from the Western side of the depot, to give a view of the District Line.

• Like 2

I've built a virtual model of the layout to give some idea as to how it might look, and to help me work out which way to present it. I had planned to do it with the steam shed at the front, but actually it works far better the other way around. The stock isn't that which I intend using, but it just there to look nice! 

image.png.d7daad3b9c2e247bf61dc87c444f1ab0.png

image.png.15a70f1a90c46a70c94e925a3dab5f70.png

image.png.c2d5eb7cc3c8a395daf644335117d86a.png

image.png.bd4ba1f9e6f8574e3c6335ad21788df3.png

image.png.06d1b3b40a71ef0329348b7380daca0b.png

image.png.bb54b33e426510ec3e68dd512095815c.png

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/32688461-cb97-444a-8d79-52a358a69caa/Lillie-Bridge-Depot-3D-Layout-Plan

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...

The baseboards are now done, but I shan't get the chance to post photos until Tuesday.

In the meantime I'm taking an early night to be up in time to head out to London to photograph Lillie Bridge and the Steam on the District runs.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sem,  that visualisation looks fantastic. Very nice use of the different levels and structures, and lots of depth too.

I' like the use of casettes at an angle. I suppose the angle will be the same on each side, so they can be exchanged freely?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So... What's become of Lillie Bridge?

Not a lot. There is a baseboard made, and it does have two levels, but that's about it for the moment as other priorities took over. Still, the existence of a baseboard should mean that some day I do finish it - I want to, for one thing.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2